Suggest me a Wideband for OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To run without crossover, with bass aid from an Eminence Alpha 15 or 2x Peerless SLS-315, or similar woofer(s) for about 30-150hz.

Requirements:
-High efficiency (95dB and up)
-Very linear (also in the HF)
-Low price (pair or quartet must not go over 400€, exceptions possible but not by much)
-Available in Europe (please consider european price)

Possible to run two in series if cheap enough, to raise SPL.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Eminence Legend 875 from Spectrumaudio/Breitbandlautsprecher might be worth looking at, if its available at all
Seems to roll off smoothly around 8khz
Cone screams fore coating :D

Attachments

• eminencelegend875.jpg
    eminencelegend875.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 743
tinitus said:
Eminence Legend 875 from Spectrumaudio/Breitbandlautsprecher might be worth looking at, if its available at all
Seems to roll off smoothly around 8khz
Cone screams fore coating :D

Maybe I wasnt clear: I dont want a rolloff before 18k or such. I wont use a tweeter.

So far, it seems that only some Fostex (FE166E and bigger siblings) meet cost requirements, breaking that, there are a few Lowther and Supravox which could do the job, but it's a pity to cut their low end (I do need 30hz).

Possible candidates

Possible candidates are:

-Fostex FE166E (single driver per speaker), rolles off at around 18k, 95dB

-Jordan JXR6 HD (2x in series), the most linear response I have ever seen. It should go past 20khz. And in OB should rolloff nicely on the bottom octaves. It may be a little expensive (needing to raise sensitivity)

Re: Re: Possible candidates

planet10 said:

If you are going to consider those, you should also add Mark Audio Alpair 5 or 6 to your short list.

dave

Added.

The quality of the midrange is for me of paramount importance.
If the plan of using a single widerange (for mid andhighs) wont work, I'll have to go 3-way. In that case I have seen a Goodwins 12" that works marvelous up to 10k or more.

It seems that a wideband with nice response is always very unsensitive, there must be a correlation of sort :)

el`Ol said:
Maybe the Ciare HX201 with compensation like it is usually done with the Visaton B200.

http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HX201.pdf

Checked. 96dB sens, 5-9 Ohm impedance are acceptable, paper cone (good, its my fav), from 9k up needs EQ. I can do it digitally but i'm trying to avoid at first. Price is also good due to Ciare being an italian company.
Overall is a discrete driver.

Someone has a link to an OB project that used it?

For compensation you mean bass compensation or EQ?

Re: Possible candidates

Telstar said:
Possible candidates are:

-Fostex FE166E (single driver per speaker), rolles off at around 18k, 95dB

-Jordan JXR6 HD (2x in series), the most linear response I have ever seen. It should go past 20khz. And in OB should rolloff nicely on the bottom octaves. It may be a little expensive (needing to raise sensitivity)

By the time you get here, you have to consider the PM2c

Rgds

Telstar said:

http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HX201.pdf

Checked. 96dB sens, 5-9 Ohm impedance are acceptable, paper cone (good, its my fav), from 9k up needs EQ. I can do it digitally but i'm trying to avoid at first. Price is also good due to Ciare being an italian company.
Overall is a discrete driver.

Someone has a link to an OB project that used it?

For compensation you mean bass compensation or EQ?

I mean a simple LR treble rise compensation like that:
http://www.visaton.de/bilder/weichen/gross/solo_eck_w.gif

Piek said:
Hi,

if I remember right, the 2 Alphas will give 90dB when filtered passive? I used the Fe167e (Voltage divider + one EQ + Cap) with a Monacor SP-382PA(+Coil), that was very good with a tweeter at its back at 5kHz.

Did you see that one? :http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=65570.0

-Micha

Yes, I have and it gave me some inspiration. Still i prefer to not filter the wideband.

One option in that case is the AN Super 12 cast frame, the alternatives are all 10" or smaller. I simulated a narrow baffle 35x110cm with a Peerless SLS-315 as woofer (cut actively at 90hz, 4th order) and the Super 12. No wings/U baffles are possible to simulate in Basta, but I added power to the plate amp that would power the peerless (5v vs 2,5v).

Adding a second woofer just raised its SPL, but the wideband SPL is kind of low and i cannot improve it. Baffle bass lost can be higher than what showed there, so I may actually go with 2 woofers (the Peerless are so cheap that i would get them anyway).

What do you think?

Attachments

• basta_peerless_an35.png
    basta_peerless_an35.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 512
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.