Suggest me a Wideband for OB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Suggest me a Wideband for OB

To run without crossover, with bass aid from an Eminence Alpha 15 or 2x Peerless SLS-315, or similar woofer(s) for about 30-150hz.

Requirements:
-High efficiency (95dB and up)
-Very linear (also in the HF)
-Low price (pair or quartet must not go over 400, exceptions possible but not by much)
-Available in Europe (please consider european price)

Possible to run two in series if cheap enough, to raise SPL.
Old 14th March 2009, 12:50 AM   #2
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Eminence Legend 875 from Spectrumaudio/Breitbandlautsprecher might be worth looking at, if its available at all
Seems to roll off smoothly around 8khz
Cone screams fore coating
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eminencelegend875.jpg (12.0 KB, 719 views)
Old 14th March 2009, 01:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
Eminence Legend 875 from Spectrumaudio/Breitbandlautsprecher might be worth looking at, if its available at all
Seems to roll off smoothly around 8khz
Cone screams fore coating
Maybe I wasnt clear: I dont want a rolloff before 18k or such. I wont use a tweeter.

So far, it seems that only some Fostex (FE166E and bigger siblings) meet cost requirements, breaking that, there are a few Lowther and Supravox which could do the job, but it's a pity to cut their low end (I do need 30hz).
Old 14th March 2009, 06:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Possible candidates

Possible candidates are:

-Fostex FE166E (single driver per speaker), rolles off at around 18k, 95dB

-Jordan JXR6 HD (2x in series), the most linear response I have ever seen. It should go past 20khz. And in OB should rolloff nicely on the bottom octaves. It may be a little expensive (needing to raise sensitivity)
Old 14th March 2009, 07:17 PM   #5
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

Maybe the Ciare HX201 with compensation like it is usually done with the Visaton B200.
Old 14th March 2009, 08:42 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Possible candidates

Quote:
Originally posted by Telstar
-Jordan JXR6 HD (2x in series)
If you are going to consider those, you should also add Mark Audio Alpair 5 or 6 to your short list.

dave
Old 14th March 2009, 10:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Possible candidates

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

If you are going to consider those, you should also add Mark Audio Alpair 5 or 6 to your short list.

dave
Added.

The quality of the midrange is for me of paramount importance.
If the plan of using a single widerange (for mid andhighs) wont work, I'll have to go 3-way. In that case I have seen a Goodwins 12" that works marvelous up to 10k or more.

It seems that a wideband with nice response is always very unsensitive, there must be a correlation of sort
Old 14th March 2009, 10:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by el`Ol
Maybe the Ciare HX201 with compensation like it is usually done with the Visaton B200.
http://www.ciare.com/pdf/catalogo/HX201.pdf

Checked. 96dB sens, 5-9 Ohm impedance are acceptable, paper cone (good, its my fav), from 9k up needs EQ. I can do it digitally but i'm trying to avoid at first. Price is also good due to Ciare being an italian company.
Overall is a discrete driver.

Someone has a link to an OB project that used it?

For compensation you mean bass compensation or EQ?
Old 14th March 2009, 10:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I answer myself about the Fostex.

The 166E seems to whizz, the 167S should be a better choice. I saw it paired with just one Eminence Beta 15. I'm trying to get more information about those speakers.
Old 15th March 2009, 01:14 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default added AN

Added:

-Audio Nirvana Super 8 AlNiCo (which would stretch my budget of a good 100 bucks)
-Audio Nirvan Super 12 Cast frame
-Audio Nirvan Super 10 Cast frame

in this order of preference.

Hide this!Advertise here!