Zu Audio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2009, 12:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Zu Audio

I have seen some conflicting information regarding Zu speakers and whether or not they build and use their own drivers. The link below shows pictures from the Zu factory. These picture show them in fact building their own drivers. Pretty impressive.

Any opinions on the quality of sound? I think it is great that they are not using off the shelf drivers, as has been stated at times, like Eminence or APT.

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=177239
Old 13th March 2009, 01:31 PM   #2
inrank is offline inrank  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

i thought they used OEM or modified Eminence units, certainly looks that way....
Old 13th March 2009, 03:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I did too. Actually, it would appear that there were some attempts to misinform on another board. Can't trust some posters.
Old 13th March 2009, 08:00 PM   #4
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Crimony, I bothered to register, and it won't allow me access to that thread.
Obnoxious.

Funny thing of note, another thread there has my post on Zu at audioasylum linked. Seems someone likes my calling of Zu's lies.

APT isn't a manufacturer, it's a part #. The compression driver they appear to be using is an eminence APT-50 on a custom Al horn.

I would be very surprised if they were building their own drivers....
Old 13th March 2009, 08:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You will get an email with an access code. I found mine in the spam filter.

Bob
Old 13th March 2009, 08:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Bob:

I was able to register, but can't load the thread.

Strange.
Old 13th March 2009, 08:20 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Maybe as Bob says, you need the access code to "officially" register just like you do here.
Old 13th March 2009, 08:31 PM   #8
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I believe ZU have been using custom made drivers

Its my understanding that they today build drivers inhouse, with standard parts from various firms like Eminence mixed with their own special parts
Or maybe the inhouse driver building is only about proto experiments

About the APT 50 it seems like its changed to a ribbon, on customers request who found the APT horn too crude

Not sure about the ribbon
Maybe modified Tangband
Or maybe it was only tried and later changed to a custom RAAL
Old 13th March 2009, 08:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I clicked through on the confirmation email and can log in. It may be that new users can't access certain boards? I can't post, so same as here, I'm probably experiencing a delay before 'full' access is granted.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I was always under the impression that the main drivers were made to their specs. by Eminence, who are very good at offering this facility to small companies. The Hammerdynamics & Hawthorn Audio units are done in that way; from the looks of things the Bastani drivers that some people seem to have been raving about over the past 6 months may also be made by them.

Whatever, I gathered that Zu had shifted, or were starting to shift to, a ribbon in place of their old horn-loaded unit, source unknown. I have a suspicion that might, in the long term, bite back on them because partnering ribbons & dynamic drivers is a major PITA, and the transition is rarely seemless, even when crossed up high. YMMV of course. Good advert for Zu though, this, isn't it?

Hide this!Advertise here!