Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Paper mache horn fabricator
diyAudio Member

Default Open baffle Line array

Hi everyone,

I'm experimenting with this project and find the results worthy of the group's attention.

The line array is open baffle, as you can see in the pic, and sounds wonderful, spacious, refined. There's plenty of acoustic power, though not concert level rock and roll. I'm getting bass, it's sweet, solid. I'm not getting sub-bass, don't even try with this speaker.

I purchased the Cerwin-Vega drivers from Steve at Apex Jr for 5 buck each. That's only 80 dollars for a very nice sounding system. The driver in the center is a JBL "baby cheeks" crossed with a single cap at 10k.

Hope everyone finds this interesting,

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (38.4 KB, 1689 views)
Old 12th March 2009, 10:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I just thought I'd mention, these are an experiment; this pic is one of my test mule. They are not in their final baffle enclosure.

I'm going to use plastic, or glass for the wings in order to create a slimmer profile. I.e., the wings are transparent visually, not acoustically.
Old 13th March 2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Nice. glad you are happy with them. I have seen those drivers for quite some time now and this is the first I've seen them being used. Good on ya.
Old 13th March 2009, 03:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Cal. I'm very surprised at how nice this system sound--especially considering how inexpensive the Cerwin Vega driver are.

I'm not getting much music below 40hz, but my favorite music is folk, and jazz. Not much signal below 40hz anyway.

Being a line array, the system is powerful. Being open baffle, a flute or clarinet sounds like it's actually in the room--does an excellent job of fooling my ears.

I'm driving this system with a CD player connected to a mosfet follower amp I fabricated. The combination is simply amazing!
Old 13th March 2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Dust is offline Dust  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Carpenter, why does the baffle extend so much past the top driver?

Thanks.
Old 13th March 2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

That's more room for when he breaks open the other piggy bank and calls Apex again. Go big or go home.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hahaha....

You guys are great. And, yes, I'm about to purchase another box of these drivers (15 per box). They sound that good. I'd like to double up and also climb upwards another couple of feet.

There seems to be a different type of sound that radiates from the top of the baffle vs. the bottom. The top does treble without the distraction of too much bass. The wings can be adjusted to control the quantity of bass produced. Cool idea, really.

For sure, the test mule is just that--a platform to play with.

I've been listening to it a lot lately. I'm beginning to understand the fascination with open baffle. There are certain songs that it tromps the living daylights out other systems! Drums (African in particular) have a smooth transparency in the open baffle format that my primary system can't emulate.

I think my primary system is starting to tremble. The tapped sub-horn isn't in any trouble, but the tractrix horns (500hz to 18k) and the midbass (dual 12s in a sealed enclosure) are headed for the barn. They do rock and roll like crazy, but I'm more into folk and jazz these days.
Old 13th March 2009, 09:39 PM   #8
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

I too would like to try a line array, but even with cheap drivers it ads up to NOT being cheap

This new 2" TB could be interesting, but still cost 20EUR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2_0.jpg (46.4 KB, 1085 views)
Old 13th March 2009, 09:47 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
I too would like to try a line array, but even with cheap drivers it ads up to NOT being cheap

This new 2" TB could be interesting, but still cost 20EUR

Why don't you contact Steve Slater at Apex Jr (dot c0m) and find out what it would cost to ship two boxes (15 per box) of Cerwin Vega PM7 drivers abroad... They come in very sturdy double-wall, double-boxed factor containers.

I'll bet you get much better performance than with the TB.
Old 13th March 2009, 11:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

depends on what you want to do.

A full range driver array can add up.
I find crossing at 200hz to 12 or 15's allow you to get away with much less speakers. Or run the full rangers wide open and use a crossover for the bass module, but run that way, volume levels will not be "party" level b4 voice garbling.

All of these drivers are from parts express with 4 + quatities......
2" tang band (803sm) for $14.83
hivi b3s (with pesky 8khz peak) are $11.61
3" tang band w3-593sf for $17.72

My money is on the 3" tang band. Rumor has it that it is the same as the w3-871s but using a square frame. Response is good.

Or you can run a tweet array.
Many arn't keen on an array with 1 tweeter.
I'm not keen on flat arrays.
They need massive eq.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26um%3D1

you can see in the unequalized graphs, past 800hz you starts losing highs. Even an equalized response looks hashy.

You can curve the array, but then you have 1 sweet spot 2 people wide but now you sit exactly in 1 spot. To close, sounds bad, too far, sounds bad, too high, sounds bad.

http://www.atssounds.com/ImageGaller...een&cache=True

or here at post #12
http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10817

I have a 4 driver (4" bamboo) curved array coming in a week or 2.
It's focused for 12' and open baffle (open box actually).
It should go flat to 200hz unlike my dual 4" vertically stacked tanf band bamboo drivers that baffle step -3db @ 570hz.
My dual vert satck sound great with 1 driver covered with 3" of foam. It sounds good with no eq but has some 15's for bass support, otherwise it is run wide open.

If I love it (the focused array) for more than a month, I may build a nine driver array.

Roger russel uses 25 3.5" per side in a flat array with mucho eq (no bass module).

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

I'd say lack of crossover is a good thing, but with his added eq, I can't imagine it'd be that hard to use the best op-amps and use them as a crossover to a bass module.

I have a sneaky suspician that far field may want a off axis time alignment wall bounce (like a full range driver), but a focused array may sound better far-field (12' away).............

We'll see..............

Norman

Hide this!Advertise here!