My first build! MarkAudio CHR-70 in da house - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2009, 11:39 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by speakrsrfun
the CHR-70's and with two a side allowing better power handling the CHR-70's really do everything just as good as the FF85K up until 18k then that's where the FF85K excels (not that I can hear much higher than that), but the CHR-70 kills and I do mean demolishes the FF85K in the lower midbass registers.
We have 1 pr of CHR in boxes at Chris', another pr on the break-in bench. I'm over to hear the boxed one's this WE -- i'll be sure to take a pair of uFonken (w FF85KeN). I fully expect the bigger driver to be way better in the midbass (40-80 Hz) since FF85 just doesn't go that low, probably better in the upper bass (80-160 Hz) as well.

dave
Old 13th March 2009, 04:01 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Don't get me wrong Dave I love my FF85's but these (CHR-70) only slightly better and have an edge over the FF85 due to total extention, since most can't hear past 18K anyhow the CHR-70 just seems to fit the bill better. One thing I must make a point of though is that the rated spec on these is a sensitivity of 85dB/W-1m, well I'm thinking more like 83dB/W-1m. They just need some amp juice to get them really humming. Overall Dave I doubt you'll be disapointed, as long as you remind yourself that this is a $80/pr driver and not a Jordan you'll be OK. The CHR-70's really tend to excell in reprocucing woodwinds and brass very realistically, female voice is stunning and to be quite truthfull even piano sounds rather lively and realistic. Acoustic guitar sounds very real and when mounted in OB sounds like the player is in the room with you. I'll let you judge but seeing as I've used a few Fostex myself these come as close to the FF85 in midrange and High frequency sweetness as I've heard yet in any fullrange, but they just do from 70-200Hz much betterthan the FF85.

Anyway Sorry to Hijack the thread but these drivers need a bit of attention folks....

Peace and happy listening

Speaks
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

We have 1 pr of CHR in boxes at Chris', another pr on the break-in bench. I'm over to hear the boxed one's this WE -- i'll be sure to take a pair of uFonken (w FF85KeN). I fully expect the bigger driver to be way better in the midbass (40-80 Hz) since FF85 just doesn't go that low, probably better in the upper bass (80-160 Hz) as well.

dave
Old 13th March 2009, 05:47 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by speakrsrfun
Don't get me wrong Dave I love my FF85's but these (CHR-70) only slightly better and have an edge over the FF85 due to total extention, since most can't hear past 18K anyhow the CHR-70 just seems to fit the bill better. One thing I must make a point of though is that the rated spec on these is a sensitivity of 85dB/W-1m, well I'm thinking more like 83dB/W-1m. They just need some amp juice to get them really humming. Overall Dave I doubt you'll be disapointed, as long as you remind yourself that this is a $80/pr driver and not a Jordan you'll be OK.
Yours are stock? A fully modded set landed in the TO area just in the last week. Don't know if you'd like to seek them out. It is a really fantastic driver 150 Hz up (and for low level near field we have boxes that can get below 100). I'd be VERY pleased if the srock CHR can get close to the modded FF85, my goal is to see how much better i can get them after throwing some of my tricks at them -- if i can improve them half as much as i can a Fostex, watch out.

With a sensitivity of 85 dB and an impedance of 4 ohm, efficiency is more like 82 dB, about 3 dB less than the FF85.

I didn't like the Jordan JX92 i had, not at all. But they were the 1st production units from the Swedes... IMHO i have my doubts that they are to the same level as those that came before, AFAIC with 5 years of Ted Jordan passing his knowledge on to Mark Audio, they are the real successors to the Jordan legacy, The Mark Audio built J6T i'm listening to in my office at the moment don't have any of the issues i had with the JX92.

dave
Old 13th March 2009, 06:45 PM   #14
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Once again, the JX92 has been produced by Typhany for years and afaik as of last year stock was still from the original production.

It's daft to suggest that Mark is a direct successor to Ted's units given that Ted is still working with EAD. Mark's units have taken things in a new direction, having worked to develop his units before EAD took on Jordan. I haven't heard them so can't comment how they compare. I do know the HF of the JX92 is generally well regarded if the driver is used correctly - toed in, used with BSC if required.

I banged on for ages about my 48" MLTLs not requiring BSC until I got them measured and added in the correct BSC. Terrific improvement. Humble pie eaten, respect for driver increased.
Old 14th March 2009, 01:51 PM   #15
mightyd is offline mightyd  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Colin, Dave is entitled to his opinion. Saying opinions are "daft" isn't the right way of going about disagreeing with comments. We all know you're ultra loyal to Jordan but now there's an alternative - at long last! I'm happy and bet others are going to buy Markaudio because Jordan is expensive. I'm enjoying the Alp 6's I bought last year. I'm very happy with them.
I've ordered CHR's to try out as well. Looking at the comments so far, I'm betting the CHRs will be gems at a bargain price.
Old 14th March 2009, 07:30 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Colin
It's daft to suggest that Mark is a direct successor to Ted's units given that Ted is still working with EAD. Mark's units have taken things in a new direction, having worked to develop his units before EAD took on Jordan.
I didn't say direct as that would be EAD. It is very true that Ted spent 5 years passing on his knowlwdge to Mark before quickly switching gears & selling to the swedes -- even if Ted is working closely with the swedes he has not had time to pass things to the same level.

As well Mark is a VERY competent engineer in his own right, and brings alot to the party. Without Ted there insisting that things be done his way (an assumption on my part), he is able to bring a different perspective & innovation to the product.

At this point i'm just a bystander, as i've only heard Jordan J6T (built by Mark) & the JX92 (which i found very dissapointing -- can someone with group buy drivers, check to see if they say made in China or Made in Denmark?)

dave
Old 15th March 2009, 10:34 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone
Answering Dave's question regarding Manufacture of speakers, China is now the main source of the world's supply of drivers. Tymphany-Denmark moved their manufacturing to Guangzhou in Dongguan province early in 2007. The JX92 production moved along with everything else they used to make in Europe.

I recently talked about the current state of Chinese production on thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...32#post1735532

Thx

Mark
Old 15th March 2009, 11:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi Everyone
I'm receiving lots of emails asking me for plan builds for the CHR-70, especially simple BR that's a handy size. Here's a plan for a 6.4 litre BR.

I've suggested using a 40-mm port and a filter to get started but feel free to experiment, each to their own tastes.

Thx

Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg till-br-6l.jpg (73.0 KB, 1436 views)
Old 16th March 2009, 12:08 AM   #19
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markaudio
Hi Everyone
I'm receiving lots of emails asking me for plan builds for the CHR-70, especially simple BR that's a handy size. Here's a plan for a 6.4 litre BR.

I've suggested using a 40-mm port and a filter to get started but feel free to experiment, each to their own tastes.

Thx

Mark.
emphasis mine - wiser words never spoke, Mark

Even bone stock with no break-in the CHR70's in a little sealed box are quite musical - the only "complaint" I might have is the sensitivity / efficiency issue. After several years of various Fostex single drivers designs that are very enjoyable with on 4 or 5 watts of SET power, I had to dig out the ole 25 watt Jolida to get these to their happy place.
Old 16th March 2009, 12:32 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I finally got a chance to hear those CHR70 at Chris' today. Stock they are just fine -- our goal is to see how much better they can be made (and have a 2nd pair for that). Instead of just building another set of 6 litre boxes we will probably come up with something that tries to get a bit more out of them.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!