Amps for the rest of us?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ask this question here because you guys seem more interested in speakers than amps. I've found, that except for tubes amps, I don't find much difference in good amps anymore. I'll even admit that I find cheap T-amps to be pretty good.

So, I'm finding I need lots-o-amps from 50-150 watts. What's a high value single channel way to buy amps? I don't need a nice box, or a brand name.

I'm surprised...

Me too. My modified Metaxas presents music differently to my friend's MF, which was different again to a borrowed Quad SS we heard in the same system. The differences were pronounced and significant... and this does not include chip amp or digital(ish) topologies etc.

As an aside, the 'old' Metaxas smashed the new Quad (and MF) in just about every way that mattered to us. Interesting. Ah, but I do look forward to going SET.

Cheers

There is some nice solid state out there, at a cost. So, chipamp if you need decent quality and decent power for a modest investment - you can do them in a way that does not cost heaps. Otherwise tubes, with - I believe I will ruffle some feathers - DH tubes offering a little something special (and perhps greater overall potential), if one seeks to exploit it. I have been planning to go the way of tubes for too long now.

Cheers

Suggestions for:
Gainclone kit???
Tube amp kit.???

I would need an easy build. With a lot of instruction. And photos. Maybe need video. Perhaps a little man that pops out of the box with a soldiering iron..........

I've started to wonder if the Parts Express tube amps are a good value. I've come to realize that the PE people are not idiots. (For some reason companies never reprint my endorsements )

For tube amps I would recommend the Bottlehead amp kits. The instructions are great and so is the support forum. If you want to start with something low watt without a need for a preamp look at their SEX amp. I have one and love the sound. Also Decware sells good tube amps. They are put together for you except for the one kit they have. One nice thing about them is they are in central IL and close to me.

John

dzzmiller said:
Suggestions for:
Gainclone kit???
Tube amp kit.???

I would need an easy build. With a lot of instruction. And photos. Maybe need video. Perhaps a little man that pops out of the box with a soldiering iron..........

Anybody know the skill level required of Chipamp.com kits?

At low skill levels, I would recommend against a tube amp kit for now, simply because of the voltages involved and layout practices needed.

Cheers!

Geek said:

Anybody know the skill level required of Chipamp.com kits?

At low skill levels, I would recommend against a tube amp kit for now, simply because of the voltages involved and layout practices needed.

Cheers!

If you can solder, you can build one of those kits. If you are like me, you will find the metal/wood working skills required to build a nice chassis the more demanding challenge by far.

jrn77478 said:

If you can solder, you can build one of those kits. If you are like me, you will find the metal/wood working skills required to build a nice chassis the more demanding challenge by far.

Seconded.

The chipamp and audiosector amps are the absolute perfect beginner's amp IMO. Tubes are a little hairier (I'm wading through an Aikido pre right now:smash: ).

diy an amp have fix cost : box , trafo, caps, diode,rca . time and so on

some time box and psu are more del half of totals cost , my suggestion is to go for very good amp and do not wast time and $ with cheapers one

in the time you can upgrade the next unit .....

this are only my personal experience....a lot diy amp collect dust!!

but need some skill...

Ska-amp are good too ,simple and a lot support from Greg,nice man
if I remember well there is a all inclusive kit !(box-psu)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.