CNC Cut Layered Speaker Kits - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2009, 06:51 AM   #1
GraemeC is offline GraemeC  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default CNC Cut Layered Speaker Kits

Hi All

Just stumbled on the firm making novel replica enclosures using computer controlled routers to cut multiple MDF layers to build up a speaker enclosure.

www.creationaudio.com.au/Tannoy.html

Has anyone seen this methodology before and know what its sound is like? FYI their Tannoy GRF kit (no drivers) retails for Aus$4,000 per pair. (About US$2,500 or UKP1,700). {Sorry Brits, cannot find a pound sign on my keyboard}

Cheers

Graeme
Old 10th March 2009, 10:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The stacked design would be a very easy build but extremely heavy. If the maths correct, these should sound fine. There's certainly no consensus in the sound of different cabinet materials.
Their least expensive looks pretty much like Fostex's BK20 kit.
I expect the kit price is high to protect the perceived value of fully built units.
These types of products/business approach will likely become more common. With plunge router CNC common and standardized, the value becomes the design and the cad drawing.
Old 10th March 2009, 11:11 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzzmiller
With plunge router CNC common and standardized, the value becomes the design and the cad drawing.

The value might be in the CAD drawing, but assuming MDF or particle board, which can can pretty fragile when machined to some of these patterns, a goodly portion of the end cost will be packaging/ shipping.
Old 10th March 2009, 11:31 PM   #4
GraemeC is offline GraemeC  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb

The value might be in the CAD drawing, but assuming MDF or particle board, which can can pretty fragile when machined to some of these patterns, a goodly portion of the end cost will be packaging/ shipping.

Note also, for the Tannoy there are 72 individually cut pieces of MDF. This would probably involve a lot of set up and machine watching labour plus a lot of waste MDF.

Cheers

Graeme
Old 10th March 2009, 11:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Is it just me, or is the picture in the bottom of this page a photo of layertone's CNC rig doing his version of the Austin?

http://www.creationaudio.com.au/Flat_Packs.html

Sean
Old 11th March 2009, 12:03 AM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GraemeC

Note also, for the Tannoy there are 72 individually cut pieces of MDF. This would probably involve a lot of set up and machine watching labour plus a lot of waste MDF.

Cheers

Graeme
well of course, I think no matter how you slice it, this is certainly not a "green" way to build loudspeaker enclosures

Quote:
Originally posted by seanzozo
Is it just me, or is the picture in the bottom of this page a photo of layertone's CNC rig doing his version of the Austin?

http://www.creationaudio.com.au/Flat_Packs.html

Sean
good catch - it certainly looks that way
Old 11th March 2009, 02:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb

That was sorta my indirect point. Move/sell the plan/data. Make locally near the buyer.

Of course that's a big simplification. High-end finishing is a labor intensive part too.
Old 11th March 2009, 04:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think some of your questions could be answered by atilsley, who has been posting here about the C-horn. I am guessing he is CreationAudio.

Edit: just checked his profile; he is indeed CreationAudio. Interesting he has not posted here...
Old 11th March 2009, 06:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi...just saw this thread...so that's why I haven't posted.

Good questions.

My costs try and reflect what a 'conventional' build would be...plus takes into account the quantity of wood involved....plus time associated with sanding etc. I'll tend to focus on more complex curved horns because this lends itself verywell to CNC'ing. No point CNC'ing a rectangular box!

All of the designs are either in the public domain, or my own...the the C-Horn and the Aaron. Jim Carfrae has granted me approval to manufacture the Little Big Horn.

I'm also working collaboratively with Dave D on the Curvy Bruce, where I'm just about to post an updated drawing based on people's feedback.

I'm very much a part timer hobbyist...tarketing both the DIY and finished market.

Happy to help where I can.....

Andrew.

Sydney.
Old 11th March 2009, 06:22 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by seanzozo
Indeed it is. I've attached my archived copy.

BTW Tony has changed to plywood (I queried Andrew about this and he said he could do plywood -- MDF iwould not be my preference)

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg austin_ii-_full_sheet.jpg (43.3 KB, 877 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!