CNC Cut Layered Speaker Kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

Just stumbled on the firm making novel replica enclosures using computer controlled routers to cut multiple MDF layers to build up a speaker enclosure.

www.creationaudio.com.au/Tannoy.html

Has anyone seen this methodology before and know what its sound is like? FYI their Tannoy GRF kit (no drivers) retails for Aus$4,000 per pair. (About US$2,500 or UKP1,700). {Sorry Brits, cannot find a pound sign on my keyboard}

Cheers

Graeme

The stacked design would be a very easy build but extremely heavy. If the maths correct, these should sound fine. There's certainly no consensus in the sound of different cabinet materials.
Their least expensive looks pretty much like Fostex's BK20 kit.
I expect the kit price is high to protect the perceived value of fully built units.
These types of products/business approach will likely become more common. With plunge router CNC common and standardized, the value becomes the design and the cad drawing.

chrisb said:

The value might be in the CAD drawing, but assuming MDF or particle board, which can can pretty fragile when machined to some of these patterns, a goodly portion of the end cost will be packaging/ shipping.

Note also, for the Tannoy there are 72 individually cut pieces of MDF. This would probably involve a lot of set up and machine watching labour plus a lot of waste MDF.

Cheers

Graeme

GraemeC said:

Note also, for the Tannoy there are 72 individually cut pieces of MDF. This would probably involve a lot of set up and machine watching labour plus a lot of waste MDF.

Cheers

Graeme

well of course, I think no matter how you slice it, this is certainly not a "green" way to build loudspeaker enclosures

seanzozo said:
Is it just me, or is the picture in the bottom of this page a photo of layertone's CNC rig doing his version of the Austin?

http://www.creationaudio.com.au/Flat_Packs.html

Sean

good catch - it certainly looks that way

chrisb said:

The value might be in the CAD drawing, but assuming MDF or particle board, which can can pretty fragile when machined to some of these patterns, a goodly portion of the end cost will be packaging/ shipping.

That was sorta my indirect point. Move/sell the plan/data. Make locally near the buyer.

Of course that's a big simplification. High-end finishing is a labor intensive part too.

Hi...just saw this thread...so that's why I haven't posted.

Good questions.

My costs try and reflect what a 'conventional' build would be...plus takes into account the quantity of wood involved....plus time associated with sanding etc. I'll tend to focus on more complex curved horns because this lends itself verywell to CNC'ing. No point CNC'ing a rectangular box!

All of the designs are either in the public domain, or my own...the the C-Horn and the Aaron. Jim Carfrae has granted me approval to manufacture the Little Big Horn.

I'm also working collaboratively with Dave D on the Curvy Bruce, where I'm just about to post an updated drawing based on people's feedback.

I'm very much a part timer hobbyist...tarketing both the DIY and finished market.

Happy to help where I can.....

Andrew.

Sydney.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
seanzozo said:
Is it just me, or is the picture in the bottom of this page a photo of layertone's CNC rig doing his version of the Austin?

Indeed it is. I've attached my archived copy.

BTW Tony has changed to plywood (I queried Andrew about this and he said he could do plywood -- MDF iwould not be my preference)

dave

Attachments

• austin_ii-_full_sheet.jpg
    austin_ii-_full_sheet.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,269
atilsley said:
Hi...just saw this thread...so that's why I haven't posted.

Good questions.

My costs try and reflect what a 'conventional' build would be...plus takes into account the quantity of wood involved....plus time associated with sanding etc. I'll tend to focus on more complex curved horns because this lends itself verywell to CNC'ing. No point CNC'ing a rectangular box!

I'm very much a part timer hobbyist...tarketing both the DIY and finished market.

Happy to help where I can.....

Andrew.

Sydney.

Thanks for responding so constructively, Andrew. I was absolutely intrigued by your methodology, also see some advantages and some negatives. eg. Curves are stiffer than strait line (less resonance) and you could easily make material thicker than standard sheet sizes (again stiffness goes up with square of thickness). And curves accoustically are usually better than strait lines.

Have you thought of upgrading or making an upgrade option of converting your GRF to Autograph by adding a front horn?

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Graeme

I may consider the autograph....but you'd appreciate that most of my designs are 2-dimensional...which fully utilises the CNC routing method.

I've purposed to try and stick with this...but happy to work with clients on ideas and enhancements.

For example - I have a basic CAD plan for Tannoy Rectangular GRF...but I've also developed quite a radical variation on this model using dual horn openings, and some really funky internals. It's al one huge 'slice', making fr a straight forward DIY build.

It would also lend itself to the clear sides....

Regards.

Andrew.

atilsley said:
Apologies for that pic of the router table. The aim was to simply use a genetic style photo of that process....not that horn. I had also inquired about the MDF routing of that horn, but someone mentioned that that technique was no longer being used?

Again, apologies if any offense taken.

This layering method was a dream for me & the core reason / motivation to purchase a CNC router to eliminate a significant part of manual tools / labor.

How can it be that someone that mentioned this technique is no longer being used? http://www.creationaudio.com.au/Flat_Packs.html

history here
http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=207

ron said:
Man, this has opened up a whole new area of design for me. I can actually design around support for the load paths. Its easy to bring the resonance of the structure below Fc (but it makes the structure deeper). The rigidity should be a great leap forward from conventional design. I am aiming around the Dallas principal, but as an opinion i think the 208e sigma and a ribbon or T90 would make a better choice.
What say you and all?(BTW, i am enthused about this project)
ron

ron said:
but the advantages are much more... just imagine!
I dont have to imagine, i can see them. Its the flexability of design with less fudging. The more even loading without additional structural support. I can design as a unit not as a series of units that have to pass energy from one point to another. Its a whole new aspect to design.
ron

by the way, there are more large "original" photos here if anyone is interested

http://fullrangedriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=388

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm sorry of there's some problem here.

This photo was the one I remember inquiring about -

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/images/layertoneA166.jpg

I remember first looking at that and thought what a wonderful design and manufacturing process it was. But then, someone said that that was an earlier version, and the layered CNC process was not being used...replaced by a more conventional process.

It was solely because of that feedback I thought it would be OK to use the generic shot of the router table.

Again, my apologies for any offense.

The photo will be removed from my web site.

I trust we can still continue in the spirit of collaboration on these types of horn.

Kind regards.

Andrew.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.