BIB utilising twin CSS WR125ST's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 2 pair of WR125ST's to recycle from an earlier project. (Fatally low WAF!)

Is it feasible to mount them together (flat-to-flat) in a BIB?

What adjusted values should I enter into the BIB calculator if I wanted to do this?

I'm assuming that the calculated "z" would actually be the centreline ie where frame touches frame.

Note that a helper tweeter or supertweeter would be needed. I'm just assuming that that's not a big issue once the basics are sorted.

Can anyone assist? For that matter, has anyone tried this?

Thanks

Doug

Driver orientation?

OK. Thanks Scotmoose.

Next question ... Is it better to orient the pair side-by-side or under-and-over?

Side by side would mean, I think, that the actual line length would be the calculated value, but the under and over arrangement would perhaps "smear" the positioning?

Would this "smearing" be detrimental? Or perhaps beneficial, if the FR response was smoother?

cheers

Doug

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Brisso,

Scott designed a double horn box for the two WR's as well. Something to consider and it's an easy build. It's called the Calhoun. I would recommend running the drivers as I have to remove any problem with combing and to act as a BSC. You have to squeeze every ounce of goodness from those drivers so I chose that route. I am not disappointed.

Attachments

• img_0469.jpg
    img_0469.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 505
Doug:

I've heard Cal's " 'houns", and if you have the space to allow for experimenting with the tricks that the side firing drivers' soundstage / imaging allow, these work great.

You will need a tweeter, and IIRC Cal used an inexpensive Audax soft-domed wave guide unit?

One likes the high power handling and relatively flat impedance curve. On the other hand, that Fs peaking is brutal. Should be easily controlled in XO tho since the impedance spike is negligible.

I've been thinking about picking up some of the old alnico cone tweeters they have at the local TV repair shop for a little testing.

I would be interested in how two drivers compare to a single 8 inch driver. If the new TB is very good and much less than the Seas, perhaps we will find out.

I'm still inclined to believe that a bigger sound is best produced by keeping a single driver as a broad midrange. Maybe the first reflection from the side firing driver is a problem in a typical home setup. That it arrives too close in time to the front firing driver and in the same ear as the direct sound. In addition, trying to understand the off axis performance of a system with right angles drivers is difficult for me.

I do think the front/back is easier to understand, especially with OB. Perhaps the best way to put a bigger bottom on FR drives is the OB design of front/back woofers with the back firing woofer out of phase.

The only design I ever liked from "the one whose name shall not be spoken" (bose) fired higher frequencies that need to bounce twice before being heard (bose 601). It seems like that setup of backward firing guarantees the reflection arrives late enough to be perceived as room ambiance.

We don't really need more drivers for bigger sound, do we? I seems to me we need more reflections arriving late enough and close to the ideal phase.

Calhoun's bigger sibling???

Here's a thought experiment ...

"I thought the vacuum cleaner looked a bit tentative ..."
(Vivian - "The Young Ones)

See www.occamaudio.com/free.html

ie 2 x CSS SDX7's and a Wavcore tweeter

Is it feasible to resize the (side-firing) Calhoun box to utilise the above drivers?

Doug

PS Can I put in an early bid that such a box be dubbed the "Nelson"?

*Oz readers would know of HG Nelson "... when too much <...> is barely enough!" :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.