Low impedance drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I previously asked around about high impedance full range speakers. It appears that is too rare a bird to find. I was going to go the OTL route. But it just isn't feasible.

So how about the opposite? Anybody know of any quality low impedance full range drivers that are open baffle friendly?

4Ohm or lower
Good Q
Larger than 6"

I am aware of the Visaton B200's, but would like to get lower than 6Ohm.

Cal Weldon said:
I am interested in your concern for driver impedance. Whatsup?

I might go with the Altmann BYOB amp.

It's a long story. I actually have Manley Mahi monoblocks right now for sale on audiogon. I wanted to start the project of assembling my own amplifier. I thought the Transcendent OTL would be the way to go. But finding a high impedance, high sensitivty, full range, open baffle friendly driver is too hard to find.... go figure huh.

I had been tempted for a long time to attempt a 12v DC home. As weird as it sounds the Altmann might be the thing that pushes me into that project (instead of an amp build project). Audio sort of comes first, everything else second.

Like before, you're asking for something that's somewhat different from the norm., so I'm afraid the answer is basically similar to last time. There are very few units that meet your basic technical criteria. There aren't a vast number of FR drivers in production that are of a 4ohm impedance, and needing one that also will work acceptably on a baffle really does restrict your options.

At the pricy end there's the aforementioned 4ohm version of the Seas Exotic F8. And at the el cheapo end, there's the Monacor SP200MX/4 & a couple of the Sica drivers. If you could cope with an Re hovering around the 5.5ohm region, there are a couple of Caire drivers, and the expensive Supravox 215 Signature Bicone. And that's really about it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.