new FR 8's Wild Burro Audio Labs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scottmoose said:
An MLTL would be easy enough.

Indeed........

MLTL

L = 46.5"
WxD = 232.85"^2
zdriver = 8"
zport = near/at the bottom
dport = 6"
Lport = 0.75"
stuffing density = 0.2 lbs/ft^3 shown

ML-horn

L = 60"
top WxD = 33.29"^2
bottom WxD = 332.85"^2
zdriver = 23.6"
zport = near/at the bottom
dport = 5"
Lport = 0.75"
stuffing density = 0.2 lbs/ft^3 shown

All dims approximate.

GM

Attachments

• wbal betsy-k mltl, mlhorn.gif
    wbal betsy-k mltl, mlhorn.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 561
this is a nice looking driver

BetsyK as it appears when the box is first opened
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here's a larger and better picture showing the dustcap
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

driver is well protected by its shipping carton

besides the very nice cone and concave dustcap there's reasonable heft to BetsyK

it has a large spider

dunno John - I'm not a good builder plus am about dead energy-wise for all practical purposes - as a cop-out it might first go o an open baffle above my Gw-1858 H-frame woofer instead of the D216 I'm using - - here's an idea by GregB - - GM simulated it with two different circular vents - maybe he can put up the spl and Z-in plots

direct link http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/6720/betsy.png

FWIW i played one driver in its shipping box and without a box with YouTube videos for a few minutes including Flight Of The Bumblebee on 7-string bass to exercise its suspension - vocal quality seems very good - if (?) my WT3 is calibrated ok with a 1K wiresound resistor then Qms is very low - this is without much break-in - I'm not sure if the Vas figure from added mass method can be trusted http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2995/bk1ts1.gif

freddi said:

- - here's an idea by GregB - - GM simulated it with two different circular vents - maybe he can put up the spl and Z-in plots

Top plot is based on the assumption that the K-slot's acoustic center (mean) can be calculated same as an exponential horn's, which places it almost at the closed end of the slot, hence the higher tuning. The 'alternate' assumes the port is near/at the bottom. Note that the port is simmed as a ~6" dia. (28"^2) x 0.75" hole, so in reality the roll off response is probably somewhere in between the two.

GM

Attachments

• wbal betsy-k mltl, mlhorn (gregb).gif
    wbal betsy-k mltl, mlhorn (gregb).gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,489
my old pc is kinda quirky on WT3 but here's another TS run after lotsa of bass tracks for BetsyK and for comparison a new Panasonic"Metal" which is quite a bit more massive for magnet bulk and double the Burro driver's cost. When running online bass tests from YouTube of BetsyK and no cabinet and listening up very close , it was clean with regards to no weird overtones on tracks swooping down to below 5Hz which is more than I could say for some larger vintage drivers

did anyone else measure BetsyK? how do my twoTS runs result look for GregB's cabinet? Vas seems very tricky to get with added mass method - when I added more mass than 7 gram to BetsyK, mms went up beyond resons

BetsyK TS after more excursion work - she didn't go down from the first run - In a vented MLTL there sure wouldn't be much z variation

new Panasonic "Metal"

Greets!

You're welcome!

The sim is 0.2 lbs/ft^3 of polyfil spread evenly throughout the whole cab or ~ 9.25 oz total, but FWIW I prefer to just line one of each pair of parallel walls with 1" acoustic fiberglass insulation and any additional added only at the top. Probably a better choice considering the K-slot.

GM

Listenning impressions with the Betsy (OB version) are pretty good. I have plenty of fiddling and tweaking to do with the driver and the baffle, but so far I am pleased. I feel potential in there somewhere just waiting to be coaxed out. For instance, the clarity or definition in the bass region is good, but not outstanding as I've heard other OBs, I will play with the mass of the baffle and mounting of the driver to see if there's a solution. The amount and depth of bass is again good, I will see if I can't take it further as I've been able to do before with series R and baffle tricks. And the highs seem like they go far enough when nearfield and on axis, but maybe not enough when not ideally placed, but there's a hundred tweaks & tricks to try for this. I do have one question in this regard, though. When the shout or edginess is more pronounced off-axis due to diminished highs, what are the tricks? Soften the whizzer, cone coating, fluffy material twixt the cone and whizzer, or what?

In conclusion, good value IMHO. I had these mated with a sub and a tweet crossed very high and it was fantastic. I am working toward a single driver, though. It will come along; this is simply a case where there is nobody out there that can say, "Oh yeah, I've had this driver for years, here are the tweaks". Support this small business guy, he's got a good spot in between the ANs and the Bofu.

One more thing... I haven't measured and I can't recall the manufacturers claim, but these guys are very high sensitivety. I am quite pleased with the amount of output when hooked up to the featherweight T-amp.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
fwater said:
Listenning impressions with the Betsy (OB version) are pretty good. I have plenty of fiddling and tweaking to do with the driver and the baffle, but so far I am pleased. I feel potential in there somewhere just waiting to be coaxed out. For instance, the clarity or definition in the bass region is good, but not outstanding as I've heard other OBs, I will play with the mass of the baffle and mounting of the driver to see if there's a solution. The amount and depth of bass is again good, I will see if I can't take it further as I've been able to do before with series R and baffle tricks. And the highs seem like they go far enough when nearfield and on axis, but maybe not enough when not ideally placed, but there's a hundred tweaks & tricks to try for this. I do have one question in this regard, though. When the shout or edginess is more pronounced off-axis due to diminished highs, what are the tricks? Soften the whizzer, cone coating, fluffy material twixt the cone and whizzer, or what?

Mine arrived early this week. They are on the break-in bench.

These are going to get a whole range of mods including cone treatment & phase plugs.

dave

What kind of cone treatment are you gearing up for?

As for phase plugs, well, they're gonna be a little tiny. I understand the principle on which they work, but my first reaction is to question how effective such a small plug would be. Or is ther going to be a funky (lightbulb, doorknob type) shape?

With such a small magnet structure, I see less benefit in the epoxy-in-the-gap tweak, although I will do it anyway. Opinions?

Keep us posted (as you often do), Dave, and thanks for all the help and info along the way. You have had a great role in my conversion to fullrangers and driver mods. Hell, while I'm at it, Scottmoose- a whole buch of my freinds think I'm some sort of witch when they hear the different BVRs I make for them. You're a clever guy. You guys go ahead and give each other five bucks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.