new FR 8's Wild Burro Audio Labs - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2009, 02:28 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link to the BIB page pj... good luck to you!

If you send me a pic of your Burro BIB i will link it from the BIB site back to yours.

Godzilla
Old 7th March 2009, 04:10 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Were at a point now where the real differences between FR drivers are frequently about dispersion and distortion, not frequency response.
I've been playing around with the Jordan JX92S. I think they are great, except for off access high frequency.
Myself, I don't think that FR is the place to look for econo drivers. The "value point" is in two way, IMO. I'm surprised daily that people will do huge cabinet builds with BB around a single $45 driver.
But again, I had no reason to be negative about the Burro venture. It's fun to play with this stuff, and it can't hurt to have more people making drivers. My concern is too many FR cabinet design and not enough detail testing and thinking.
Old 7th March 2009, 04:32 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

>>> My concern is too many FR cabinet design and not enough detail testing and thinking.

A few years ago it was the opposite. There will be more drivers and more designs coming. That's a good thing IMO because we can play around and discover new things.

I want a Betsy in an OB!

http://www.sonicflare.com/_audio_a2...images_side.jpg

http://www.toneimports.com/auditori...mages/svox3.gif

Maybe a Betsy can be used in a poor man version of the Solo Vox?

Godzilla
Old 7th March 2009, 04:58 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzzmiller
I'm surprised daily that people will do huge cabinet builds with BB around a single $45 driver.
Why? If you've got the space, a good big cabinet is inherently less compromised than a good little cab & allow you to extract more from a given driver.
Old 7th March 2009, 06:14 PM   #25
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Locals are certainly welcome to stop by, so long as you aren't offended by unfinished plywood. Maybe this will be the spring I get the BIB's outside and finish them! My OB's are quick and dirty prototypes. I should make a decent looking set. Maybe once I get the tube amp done. It's my first point-to-point, and I'm drawing out parts layout as we speak. And if I could only get my turntable to run the correct speed . . .

Thank you all for the encouragement. 'Zilla, I don't know if you remember, but my first fullrange thoughts came from a discussion with you over at AA. Prior to that I was listening to some "budget" two ways. And of course, my BIB enclosures are something Scott sim'd early on in the BIB thread. One of the reasons I'm trying to keep the margin well lower than the industry standard is that I know you two, Greg, Dave, Eli Duttman and others have given me and others countless hours of free advice. I do want to do this as a member of the DIY community, not an outsider profiting from it.

All should feel free to share their thoughts about future versions of these drivers. I haven't asked for price quotes yet, but AlNiCo is a very real possibility. I'm sure I could order a few without whizzers, for example. Of course, the mass would be lower, and it'd be more of a midrange. There is a little more interest in the BetsyK than I expected. I may see about a version with lower compliance, but the Fs would go up.

pj
http://www.wildburroaudio.com
Old 7th March 2009, 08:24 PM   #26
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

re:future versions - could Qes lowered without upsetting the mid-treble balance? - that could reduce some enclosure's bulk - my pc is so messed up that won't run WinISD - here's what AJ thinks of BetsyK in 84 liters - not sure of AJ is good for BR (it does BIB sims alright)

alnico would be cool for BetsyA

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th March 2009, 08:25 PM   #27
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzzmiller
I'm surprised daily that people will do huge cabinet builds with BB around a single $45 driver.
I think cabinet building is, for many folks, especially young ones, the most intimidating part of speaker building. I can build a chip amp with some soldering tools, a drill and a screwdriver. Even a basic bass reflex takes a couple of saws, a couple of sawhorses, and some space where you can make a mess. Most lumber suppliers won't guarantee cuts to be closer than 1/8" to your spec, and that is not good enough to build a box. It is plenty good enough for an OB.

The idea here is to create speakers that anybody could build. Once folks get their feet wet and hear some diy speakers, I think they'll be much more likely to engage in more complicated endeavors, be they gigantic double mouth horns with fullrange drivers or multiways with double thick MDF sidewalls and tons of bracing.

Don't confuse entry level build or entry level price with entry level sound either. Used within their displacement limitations, I think that these will run with seriously expensive competition. Once someone is ready to move beyond an easy build, active biamping and helper woofers are possibility.

pj
Old 7th March 2009, 09:19 PM   #28
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by pjanda1
I think cabinet building is, for many folks, especially young ones, the most intimidating part of speaker building.
Maybe that's why i got to where i am... i think the 3rd box i built was a Radford S90 clone.

dave
Old 7th March 2009, 09:36 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Cheers,

Hi PJ,

It is good to see your drivers! I hope to hear a pair soon.

-Clark
Old 7th March 2009, 09:46 PM   #30
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ditto: Good Luck to your venture!
Don

Hide this!Advertise here!