new FR 8's Wild Burro Audio Labs - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2009, 01:12 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

>I do not believe both are right, they are too far apart.

I agree. The Fs differance is the giveaway.
Not subject to much interpretation.
(Nor varience with procedures (levels et.al.)

Unless that's 69 insread of 89 ? (as I read it)
Old 5th May 2009, 01:44 AM   #92
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

My measures across 100s of drivers are consistent with each other, my JX92 measures were almost the same as both MJK & Zaph. My Alpair 10 measures are close to MJK's as well. Martin has 2 sets of my FE126 drivers with my measurements enclosed.

dave
Old 5th May 2009, 02:10 PM   #93
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
My measures across 100s of drivers are consistent with each other, my JX92 measures were almost the same as both MJK & Zaph. My Alpair 10 measures are close to MJK's as well. Martin has 2 sets of my FE126 drivers with my measurements enclosed.
The parameters that look off are the ~70 Hz numbers that are close to the Fostex spec. All of the T/S parameters that I have measured, gathered from the Internet, and from posting to the forums agree with your results for the FE-127E and the FE-126E. On the other hand, I have also matched the Alpair spec sheets very closely using my own measurements for the Alpair 10, Alpair 6, and Alpair CHR-70. Maybe this is just a one measurement hiccup.
Old 6th May 2009, 01:13 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Ummmmmph,
Interesting re the Fe127 variances, I'm back at the factory on May 18 so will hopefully have the opportunity to run the test again.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 7th June 2009, 05:27 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

If the specs vary quite a bit, why not charge a little more for matched pairs? I would be willing to pay and extra $20-40 for a closely matched pair.
Old 7th June 2009, 08:02 PM   #96
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

All the drivers i sell are matched pairs (but that is only part of it), with the success of the CHR70eN experiments i will be gearing up for them too.

dave

PS: 1st Wild Burros are almost done -- only need phase plugs, i'm trying to decide red or blue.
Old 7th July 2009, 08:17 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

I had a visit to the burro lab this past weekend.

Thanks again P & D for hosting. Good music and good food.

We did some listening on the wba system (modded philips cd/NOS dac), el cheapo, and then betsy's.

Betsy K's in the BiB were pretty seemless from the low to the high. This was also my first time hearing BiBs, so I'm not sure that the 'bigger' had quite locked in. They were massive, both visually and acoustically. I listened for several hours with a large variety of music, and never had the exaggerated and fatiguing highs that the audio nirvana and fostex drivers have had on me. The bassa nova style bass on some thievery corp music was natural, and not at all bloomy. However, when you moved away from the couch and stood in a corner the bass was stomach churning.

PJ then set up some OBs, and we had a short listen before my party headed home. Also very natural, and put out more bass than I was expecting. However, not quite enough to satisfy a bassfreak.

Color me impressed.

(yes, we left with a few pairs of the k)
Old 9th July 2009, 01:27 AM   #98
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

It's a good thing you came when you did, as I sold the BIBs today! (Gotta' scale down for the great westward adventure). They're still here for a couple more days, so I've got time to say goodbye. Interestingly, the buyer is trying them after a couple of unsatisfactory years with ProAc clones. Now I'm really curious to hear yours D.

pj
Old 13th July 2009, 01:50 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

Hey, how bout dem BetsyK driver params!

I had paul in my basement earlier today, and he busted out some BetsyK's (among other things) and we threw them at the Dayton WT3 woofer tester.

My results have been varying a bit in Mms, Qms, and Vas. I measure Vas with the added mass method, so I've got 40g of rope caulk + screws that I stick to the cone. Sometimes it doesn't stick so good. I plan to figure out a better method, but that hasn't happened yet... Other params have been fairly consistent.

I was paid in beer for performing the measurements. But I haven't really been following this Betsy K thing, so I don't know what my measurements are similar to. Hence, I am / was unable to skew them in any particular direction.

I was unaffiliated with PJ in any way before he showed up at my house. He's a friend of a friend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg betsyk test 1 reduced.jpg (90.7 KB, 247 views)
Old 13th July 2009, 01:52 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

The same driver, measured a second time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg betsyk test 2 reduced.jpg (91.2 KB, 244 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!