new FR 8's Wild Burro Audio Labs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a feeling the pages are still being worked on and aren't finished as the site wasn't opening a few hours ago. I think MISCO builds these custom drivers

I'm having a tough time reading specs but can see some stuff - can't quite4 make out qes

Betsy: Re=5.9, fs=49.63, Vas 86.387 Qts 0.783,, mms 9.916

BetsyK: Re=5.7 Vas 82.914, fs = 49.959, Qts=0.458, mms 9.1

can you make out Qe's and Sd?

50% of the cost for the AN Super 8, 150% of the cost for the BOFU. If the its real world performance puts its value in that range, then it's quite a small blessing. A wide notch filter might be in order, we don't know until there's a little feedback...

I live around 50 miles from this guy. Maybe I'll be the first customer, me having so much disposable income and all. Anybody know him? Does he frequent this forum?

And yes, the burro does make me want to buy the product, based solely on his business accumin.

...and no real product is a bit odd, however

I may have missed something - in what way do you mean the product not "real"?

Perhaps because they have not been sighted or their performance assessed?

How many decent-performing (I know, subjective and unproven in this case, but I hold out some hope) current-production high-ish Qts 8"ers are around at that price-point?

For the lower Qts drivers, I don't have a problem with competition for Audio Nirvana and Fostex, though I would like them to offer product that significantly differentiates them in the market place; however, listening may indeed suggest that they are sufficiently different. Further, certain aspects of their business model seem attractive for some; this factors into some people's buying decisions (mine included).

In summary, lower pricing may be enough if the performance is equivalent; though I would like to see something 'different', which it may be.

EcoLogic Acoustics look like they may (eventually) fit that description, but I have not yet seen specs and pricing...

Cheers

re:NIrvana - Super 10 has a powerful top end and needs no helper in Karlson15 - here's Super 10 outdoors in a 70L reflex sitting high on a barrel and near a house wall vs an Advent (old fried egg tweeter plus newer stamped frame woofer - nasty hole at xover)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Spper10 same reflex poked in a corner (no door) mic 20" - more flattering
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

those Burro's look more extended than my new Panasonic "Metal" and maybe not too unlike L. Cao's graph in the middle (???)

Panasonic Metal vs $13.30 Sammi

Hi guys! I'm thrilled to see such an enthusiastic response. I just picked up the first batch of production units today, and I was planning to put some announcements up tonight. Now I need to get busy responding to emails.

In response to a couple of the points made above:

WBAL is a whole new venture. I want to be as clean and transparent as possible. I am not related in any way to any other past or present speaker manufacturer with the exception of my OEM. I don't want to get mired in any past associations.

No, the FR is not ruler flat. However, I have seen the response of other current and popular asian-made drivers measured on the same jig (at my OEM's facility). They look incredibly similar. The 3-3.5K peak and the 10Kish peak are very comparable. I think the later would smooth out with some whizzer "massaging". I haven't tried it, as I think they sound great as-is. This graph I post is honest. I don't want to reference any other speaker, but suffice to say, I believe this speaker will compete with considerably more expensive drivers. Don't compare factory graphs. Compare the actual speakers.

Cheap? They sure are. Notice I quoted the price in pairs, so careful with that comparison! I'm not trying to make a living doing this. This is fun. My overhead is low, and I want to keep my margins as slim as possible. Provided the email volume doesn't get ridiculous, I think this model will work fine.

I'm glad most of you like the site. I went to college with Christian, the guy that built and hosts it. I wanted something simple. He tried to do something a little different to fit the "rustic" nature of the burro. Check out his website if you are interested in great design and reasonably priced hosting: http://www.christianmogensen.com/

Finally, I've tried to look over all the different forums rules for industry members (a title I suppose I know qualify for). But I may screw up, so let me know!

pj
http://www.wildburroaudio.com

I'll try and get a better copy of the specs on the site. You guys were pretty close.

Betsy:
Re: 5.9 ohms
Fs: 49.630Hz
Sd: 22.966
BL 4.166
Qms 4.567
Qes .945
Qts .783
Spl 92.4db
Vas 86.387L
Mms 8.916g

BetsyK:
Re 5.7 ohms
Fs 49.959Hz
Sd 22.966
BL 5.471
Qms 2.798
Qes .548
Qts .458
Spl 94.6
Vas 82.914L
Mms 9.167g

pj
affordable, great sounding fullrange loudspeakers

For all those of you waiting for some actual pics, hang out until tomorrow night. The site wasn't quite ready for pubic consumption.

pj
affordable fullrange loudspeaker drivers

Attachments

• betsy.jpg
    betsy.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,396
pj,
Are you planning on a "showroom" of any sort? I'm in Bismarck and make the trip to the Cities every once in a while. St. Cloud is on the way. As a matter of fact, I just bought tickets for the Il Divo concert in St. Paul in July :sing:.
I've built two sets of FRs and have a pair of Fostex 127s and a pair of old RS drivers waiting for cabinets. I'm always open to more ideas.
Best wishes on this venture!
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.