new FR 8's Wild Burro Audio Labs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Betsy

Attachments

• wildurrobestsytsp.gif
    wildurrobestsytsp.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 799
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
pjanda1 said:
We're looking into the variance compared to the specs I published to figure out if it is a difference in measurement technique or a production issue.

There can be significant differences due to measuring techniques as TSP aren't single numbers but plucked from a curve, Temp, pressure & humidity can also have a significant effect.

It will be nice when there is a well understood set of info on what causes variances and a way to map one set of data onto another technique.

For instance, i sent Mark Fenlon a set of FE127eN which he subsequently measured using LinearX. Here are his numbers compared to the ones i got using the built-in audio in my G4 tower & Fuzzmeasure. I have no doubt both are right and largely a function of the voltage drive available.

dave

Attachments

• fe127-measures.gif
    fe127-measures.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 704
>>> Jeff, you talkin'?

Yes, the problem with the amp is the volume control. It's too sensitive and is nearly at full power a quarter of the way up when using the Alpha 15s.

So busy at work! I am gobbling down 6 eggrolls (LOL, late night snacks can be funny, unhealthy but mmm, mmm good!). I miss the forum these last few weeks. If anyone is interested in the Betsy & Boomer just give me a shout. I can also easily see this setup as Betsy's on OB on top of Boomers in H-frames (ala MJK) using all the same/similar components.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/betsy-boomer.htm

I am enhancing BIBs using MJK's H-frames and they work great!

Whatever you need from PE i may be able to get you cheaper... not by much but maybe enough to make you crack a small smile.

Back to work!

Godzilla

planet10 said:

For instance, i sent Mark Fenlon a set of FE127eN which he subsequently measured using LinearX. Here are his numbers compared to the ones i got using the built-in audio in my G4 tower & Fuzzmeasure. I have no doubt both are right and largely a function of the voltage drive available.

Dave,

The large differencs in the fs caused by the almost 40% diference in Vas would appear to be more then just the difference created by two different people using two different methods/software. If the difference was on the order of 5 to 10% I might buy into it being people or method driven, but that large a difference looks like it is a mistake in one of the measurements. I do not believe both are right, they are too far apart.

planet10 said:
My measures across 100s of drivers are consistent with each other, my JX92 measures were almost the same as both MJK & Zaph. My Alpair 10 measures are close to MJK's as well. Martin has 2 sets of my FE126 drivers with my measurements enclosed.

The parameters that look off are the ~70 Hz numbers that are close to the Fostex spec. All of the T/S parameters that I have measured, gathered from the Internet, and from posting to the forums agree with your results for the FE-127E and the FE-126E. On the other hand, I have also matched the Alpair spec sheets very closely using my own measurements for the Alpair 10, Alpair 6, and Alpair CHR-70. Maybe this is just a one measurement hiccup.

I had a visit to the burro lab this past weekend.

Thanks again P & D for hosting. Good music and good food.

We did some listening on the wba system (modded philips cd/NOS dac), el cheapo, and then betsy's.

Betsy K's in the BiB were pretty seemless from the low to the high. This was also my first time hearing BiBs, so I'm not sure that the 'bigger' had quite locked in. They were massive, both visually and acoustically. I listened for several hours with a large variety of music, and never had the exaggerated and fatiguing highs that the audio nirvana and fostex drivers have had on me. The bassa nova style bass on some thievery corp music was natural, and not at all bloomy. However, when you moved away from the couch and stood in a corner the bass was stomach churning.

PJ then set up some OBs, and we had a short listen before my party headed home. Also very natural, and put out more bass than I was expecting. However, not quite enough to satisfy a bassfreak.

Color me impressed.

(yes, we left with a few pairs of the k)

It's a good thing you came when you did, as I sold the BIBs today! (Gotta' scale down for the great westward adventure). They're still here for a couple more days, so I've got time to say goodbye. Interestingly, the buyer is trying them after a couple of unsatisfactory years with ProAc clones. Now I'm really curious to hear yours D.

pj

Hey, how bout dem BetsyK driver params!

I had paul in my basement earlier today, and he busted out some BetsyK's (among other things) and we threw them at the Dayton WT3 woofer tester.

My results have been varying a bit in Mms, Qms, and Vas. I measure Vas with the added mass method, so I've got 40g of rope caulk + screws that I stick to the cone. Sometimes it doesn't stick so good. I plan to figure out a better method, but that hasn't happened yet... Other params have been fairly consistent.

I was paid in beer for performing the measurements. But I haven't really been following this Betsy K thing, so I don't know what my measurements are similar to. Hence, I am / was unable to skew them in any particular direction.

I was unaffiliated with PJ in any way before he showed up at my house. He's a friend of a friend.

Attachments

• betsyk test 1 reduced.jpg
    betsyk test 1 reduced.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 280
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.