scalford horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I recently modified some old wharfedale pacific pi's somewhat similar to the brynn, but with different dimensions. Chrisb then said that I shouldn't call them brynn as they are not the same design. Well really I didn't call them the brynn, I only said they were similar. Now after running them for as long as possible before the first bake off of its kind in the UK I used them at said bake off and had some very positive comments and requests to make some for others. At the moment they are in a somewhat rough form but I will now be making the back thicker and changing the added on baffle to site the driver centrally. Drivers are FE126E by the way. Chrisb suggested a 5 Ohm resistor with the 126, what would that actually do, give more bass, less bass, less top?

It'd make the thing work as it should. ;) Well, mostly at any rate. Brynn is principally designed for the 127, not the 126, which isn't particularly well suited for such loads. You can force it to work to an extent by adding a little series resistance; in practice, 5ohms is probably a bit excessive -3 should do the job. The price is a reduction in efficiency & it won't help with the 126s inherent lack of linear displacement -the 127 edges it in this regard.

BTW -when you say you might be making more, out of interest, do you mind if I asked what it is you're planning to do? I ask because it does mildly affect things from our POV. Knocking a couple together as a favour for mates = no worries. Selling as a cottage industry kind of thing = no worries either, we encourage it, but we do make a couple of minor conditions -see the Use of Designs page on the FH site http://www.frugal-horn.com/use.html -I see you've made a couple of minor changes, but none are fundamental to the design per se.

Best
Scott

I don't think I will be making them for anyone else, if I did they would only be for friends without the skill to do so. There wouldn't be any point in trying to make money from them, I don't think thats possible on such a small scale and with limited workshop facilities.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.