108E Sigma vs. 126E

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could someone that has owned both the 126E and the 108E Sigma, and who lived with each in their own room longer than a one day audition, describe the sonic differences? I'm aware that the 108E is a bit less efficient and more expensive, but I'm looking for adjectives that would give me at least a rough idea of how they sound different in similarly sized cabinets. i.e. Frugal-Horn Mikasa.
Thanks!!!

I'll bite,

I've had over 5 years of experience with both drivers in a wide range of enclosure types (mostly BLH of some nature), and with good cross section of budget commercial and DIY electronics both SS and tubed.

To be specific, I've heard both drivers in the Frugelhorn, Buschhorn MKI, and Hornshoppe Horns, as well as the Sigma in Aiko, and the 126 in Ron Clarke's A126.

In as few words as possible, I'd describe the Sigma as less dynamic, much smoother and more "finely grained" in the midrange, with a more recessed and wider soundstage. It's softer at both ends of the spectrum; with my hearing loss and tinitus, I'm far more aware of the difference between the two drivers from the mid-bass down, rather than above, let's say 12kHz.

The 126 has nominally 3 dB of higher sensitivity, clearly noticeable extension and dynamics at both ends, and a far more forward presentation. It can certainly deliver more SPL and jump factor with the same amount of amp power, and for most folks would probably win the "bang for the buck" contest - however it can be a bit harsh in the upper midrange (3-8k). It does respond very well to treatment.

If physical space and aesthetic concerns were not an issue, I'd be hard pressed to decide between the FE108EZ in the Aiko with powered woofers, or a full zoot A126 with EnABLed drivers, etc. They deliver such a different presentation that it would probably depend very much on the music and my emotional state - I find Sigma far more relaxing and contemplative than the 126

Similarly,

As someone who has heard both and built commercial enclosures for them, I would have to second Chris's comments.

I would say, however, that going between an Enabled 126e and a FE108EZ is probably a more fair comparison.

The stock 126e I find to be quite harsh and hard to live with up top (the same 3-8k region Chris talked about). Modified, even slightly, it can help alot. Of course, I have young ears so I am very sensitive to roughness up top.

The FE108EZ has a better (not bigger) magnetic circuit with higher quality cast iron. This, along with the cast frame results in a much smoother presentation overall.

The FE126e, however, has a softer more cottony suspension system which gives it the extra dynamics, jump factor and "naturalness" of tonality, along with an increased max spl rating and boomier bass (mostly in a good way).

Even the FE126eN does not get past the lesser magnetic material's effect on the sound, it sounds the slightest bit "sandy," making things seem somewhat less ultimately "resolute" than the 108EZ, however the benefits of cone treatment to the overall balance and musicality of the driver are undeniable.

If the 108EZ were to have a softer suspension like the 126eN, it would be a happy day. It is well known among users that the "EZ" family of drivers can take seemingly years to break in fully. Too much synthetic resin in the damper... The 126e and eN, a few months to sound fantastic.

-Clark

Ive built one commercial deisgn for the 108EZ and two for the 103E. I personally LOVE the 103E despite its "limitations" in not being able to reproduce super high SPLs. I found that the 103E worked far better in the "cobra" design - a nagaoka based longer pathlength slower expansion horn type with greater inherent internal bracing and better imaging than the BIBs I built for them coupled with a lower requirement for internal damping. The 108EZ was a hoot in what was nearly the same BIB though. Very solid lower midrange action. If I were to build for the 108EZ again, I would probably go a little closer to the "iBIB" that Cain and Cain produced shortly (I.E. floor mouthed).

The 103E is a quirky driver - definitely for the music appreciator who loves to relax, kick back, and not think too much about the speaker itself. It can be thunderous - to an extent. its true virtue is accuracy at any SPL within its range without a shout.

It has prettymuch the same suspension roll depth as the 126e surprisingly...

But yeah, in stock form, I would go for the 103E over the 126e or 108EZ, but my personal listening styles are much more relaxed and less bass dependent than most people's. I like to crank it and rock out occasionally - but mostly for background music with friends over or late night low level listening sessions - with great concentration to the music itself.

The 126E needs mods to reach an acceptable level of aesthetic refinement for these tasks, and without a doubt it does after the mods... the stock form shout just makes me cringe though. hard to get past unless I am drunk enough to not care about it or something.

The 108EZ with mods? Intrigued DEFINITELY. Its gonna need some juice though thick wires to get it to really sing after the added weight/stiff suspension (?)

-Clark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.