Crossover...where to start - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2009, 06:48 PM   #1
kendt is offline kendt  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover...where to start

I am playing with a setup that is not a typical speaker arrangement but shows good potential.

I need to come up with a crossover for it but have no clue what type i will need.

I put a fr125s, a hivi tweeter and a fe126e in an mtm setup. I have a pair of peavy bass drivers.

The tweeters and mids are in an open baffle and the bass drivers would be in vented enclosure built for them.

When I first hooked up the drivers I expected the two completely different full range drivers to clash but quite the opposite was true. They seem to almost compliment each other, creating more depth or(thickness) to the sound. Imaging is still razor sharp.

I want to filter the bass out of the open baffle drivers and make a matching filter for the tweets.

Should each driver be handled individually or should it be designed as a whole.

I am very green when it comes to designing crossovers so ANY help is great

Thanks
Old 28th February 2009, 08:24 PM   #3
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

How will you "handle" your Peavey woofers
Active or passive
Passively you may need trafo inductor of 12mH or more, and a bit expencive
Active may not cost more
Old 28th February 2009, 10:14 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I was hoping to go passive since the active is very expensive. I thought just a first order xover for the bass to keep it simple for now. I am more confused about the two odd mid range drivers.

A nice active would really be so much simpler but I just don't have that kind of coin.
Old 28th February 2009, 10:32 PM   #5
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

As said, to make it work passively you will probably need some big and expencive inductors
I do believe your choice with those 2 different mids could be problematic
But you say it sounds nice fore now, but I reckon its when running fullrange
you may be facing strange an unexpected behaviour when woofer and tweeter are added

Could very well be that the best is to use only Fostex with woofer

Or the CSS and Fostex only

Whats the sensitivity of the Peavey woofer
Old 1st March 2009, 01:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

My intention was to use the fostex with the peavy's and the tweeters. I hooked them up together just for kicks. The fr125 are way less efficient then the fostex so you barely are hearing them but when they are unhooked there is a noticeable difference. Almost like an ambiance affect if that makes sense.

My peavy's are 96.5 dbs.

I didn't want to match the two mid ranges together but rather leave them with their individual efficiencies. I only want to have them playing the same frequencies, filtering the same lows from both, but otherwise leaving them to do their thing.

Hide this!Advertise here!