fostex 126 done (2) ... now ??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2009, 03:57 PM   #1
DimZ is offline DimZ  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default fostex 126 done (2) ... now ???

Last year I build the rec enclosure for the 126e

(details here http://www.avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=19868)

and it was fun .... and educational, very nice mids and highs but not enough bass for my space ..... so ...

p.s * scottmoose thanks for the tip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1469.jpg (46.3 KB, 690 views)
Old 25th February 2009, 04:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

.. so a couple of months ago I build them some BIB cabs

(details here ....... http://www.avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=39573)

very easy build, much more and better bass ..

and overall a better by far enclosure for the 126's

but as you all know this thing is quite addictive .... so ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn2537.jpg (17.5 KB, 685 views)
Old 25th February 2009, 04:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

... so ... now I am thinking of building something else

I am considering the Fostex 207E, the Audio Nirvna sc 8'' or the 10'' and maybe Supravox 215rtf 64 bicone ... for drivers

The size is an issue, can go up to 1.10 -1.15 m high, about 35 cm wide and up to 40 cm depth...

I like the Half Chang enclosure (very much), also Bob Brine's LT-2000, the commonsense MK2.8II (if i go with the AN's) and of course the MJK famous project 05 (the easiest of three) ....

Any recommendations / advice / help etc .. on drivers and possible enclosures would be much appreciated ...
Old 25th February 2009, 04:17 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: fostex 126 done (2) ... now ???

Quote:
Originally posted by jimazz
Last year I build the rec encosure for the 126e

(details here http://www.avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=19868)

and it was fun .... and educational, very nice mids and highs but not enough bass for my space ..... so ...

so?

We built a pair of these funky little hybrid designs a couple of years ago, and they are definitely not a keeper - if you're looking for an enclosure for this driver that yields better bass performance, you could do well to consider either the Frugelhorn

http://www.frugel-horn.com/plans.html

Click the image to open in full size.

designed to use room corners, and definitely benefits from the rear deflector and "optional" supra-baffle.

or Saburo:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...ap-0102008.pdfClick the image to open in full size.

for something with less room placement sensitivities, and perhaps more WAF (if a factor), the FE126 can be used in the Brynn with some series R or other correction (this design shines with FE127 or Hemp FR4.5) I have built 2 of these - one of Scott's sleepers

Click the image to open in full size.

Brynn is the shorter of the 2 on the left

p.s. your second post while I was composing my reply - I's assumed you were looking for other designs for the FE126.

Don't worry, you'll get lot's of suggestions
Old 25th February 2009, 04:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Chris thank you for your suggestions ...

The frugel was the first enclosure I wanted to build (have done all the '' to metric system) unfortunately I cant place them in corners,

The Saburo is very high (1.80 m) ...

but... the Brynn (have allready checked it) is something that I plan to build next month .... so to give another option for the 126 (and keep the best sounding enclosure and put them in the bedroom) ...

but I am searching for a new driver (bigger than the 126)
Old 25th February 2009, 04:32 PM   #6
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

If corner placement for Frugel Horns is not pratical, and you don't mind using a sub, they still work really well IMHO.
Good Hunting!
Don
Old 25th February 2009, 04:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

>>> but as you all know this thing is quite addictive .... so ...

Love your 126e BIB! Even the 6.5" fostex drivers sound better to me than the 4" because they can handle more power before sounding all frazzled. They also have a more relaxed and fuller sound. Never tried the 8 inch drivers but i have heard from others they sound even better in some ways than 6.5 inchers. One day i will have to build something using the 8" fostex.

Your post has me wondering which would sound better in corners the Frugalhorn or the BIB? Both designed for that application.

The Brynn 'looks' like it would work well with the 126/127.

Godzilla
Old 25th February 2009, 04:47 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla

Love your 126e BIB! Even the 6.5" fostex drivers sound better to me than the 4" because they can handle more power before sounding all frazzled. They also have a more relaxed and fuller sound. Never tried the 8 inch drivers but i have heard from others they sound even better in some ways than 6.5 inchers. One day i will have to build something using the 8" fostex.

Your post has me wondering which would sound better in corners the Frugalhorn or the BIB? Both designed for that application.

Godzilla
Jeff - I've tried 4 different drivers in the Brynn, FE126 & FF125K (both with series R), FE127 and Hemp FR4.5. The Hemp is a great sounding driver, but not (yet/again?) relatively available - of the Fostex drivers, the FE127 shines most in this design - the double mouthed Gabriel might be better suited to the FE126.

Of course, most of my listening is in smaller rooms, and at lower levels where the 4" drivers are not overtaxed.
Old 25th February 2009, 04:54 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by doorman
If corner placement for Frugel Horns is not pratical, and you don't mind using a sub, they still work really well IMHO.
Good Hunting!
Don
I have read too many good things about the frugel , maybe I ;ll make them some day, thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla

Godzilla

thanks, they do look nice, and they sound even better IMHO ...

your work is great , thank you
Old 25th February 2009, 06:50 PM   #10
germpod is offline germpod  United States
diyAudio Member

I recently built Austin 126s, and so far this is the enclosure that has the most potential, of the ones I have built. I still need to build the rear deflector, as well as the supra baffel. Currently the bass sounds a bit too much, though I think that will be fixed with the supra baffel maybe fixing the compression chamber volume. There is also something going on in the midrange that I think will be fixed with the rear deflector preventing sound from coming back into the horn. Mine are about 8" from rear walls, though there are corners about a foot and a half away which may be helping the bass. They have only a very slight toe in.

I have had these drivers in first generaion Harveys, and inverted BIBs.

I would suggest the Austins. In my room they are producing better bass then Half Changs with Pioneer B20s in them. They still have the midrange greatness of the fe126 driver.

Hide this!Advertise here!