fostex 126 done (2) ... now ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last year I build the rec enclosure for the 126e

(details here http://www.avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=19868)

and it was fun .... and educational, very nice mids and highs but not enough bass for my space ..... so ...

p.s * scottmoose thanks for the tip

Attachments

• dscn1469.jpg
    dscn1469.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 724
... so ... now I am thinking of building something else

I am considering the Fostex 207E, the Audio Nirvna sc 8'' or the 10'' and maybe Supravox 215rtf 64 bicone ... for drivers

The size is an issue, can go up to 1.10 -1.15 m high, about 35 cm wide and up to 40 cm depth...

I like the Half Chang enclosure (very much), also Bob Brine's LT-2000, the commonsense MK2.8II (if i go with the AN's) and of course the MJK famous project 05 (the easiest of three) ....

Any recommendations / advice / help etc .. on drivers and possible enclosures would be much appreciated ...

jimazz said:
Last year I build the rec encosure for the 126e

(details here http://www.avclub.gr/forum/showthread.php?t=19868)

and it was fun .... and educational, very nice mids and highs but not enough bass for my space ..... so ...

so?

We built a pair of these funky little hybrid designs a couple of years ago, and they are definitely not a keeper - if you're looking for an enclosure for this driver that yields better bass performance, you could do well to consider either the Frugelhorn

http://www.frugel-horn.com/plans.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

designed to use room corners, and definitely benefits from the rear deflector and "optional" supra-baffle.

or Saburo:

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Saburo-1v0-map-0102008.pdf
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

for something with less room placement sensitivities, and perhaps more WAF (if a factor), the FE126 can be used in the Brynn with some series R or other correction (this design shines with FE127 or Hemp FR4.5) I have built 2 of these - one of Scott's sleepers

Brynn is the shorter of the 2 on the left

p.s. your second post while I was composing my reply - I's assumed you were looking for other designs for the FE126.

Don't worry, you'll get lot's of suggestions

Chris thank you for your suggestions ...

The frugel was the first enclosure I wanted to build (have done all the '' to metric system) unfortunately I cant place them in corners,

The Saburo is very high (1.80 m) ...

but... the Brynn (have allready checked it) is something that I plan to build next month .... so to give another option for the 126 (and keep the best sounding enclosure and put them in the bedroom) ...

but I am searching for a new driver (bigger than the 126)

>>> but as you all know this thing is quite addictive .... so ...

Love your 126e BIB! Even the 6.5" fostex drivers sound better to me than the 4" because they can handle more power before sounding all frazzled. They also have a more relaxed and fuller sound. Never tried the 8 inch drivers but i have heard from others they sound even better in some ways than 6.5 inchers. One day i will have to build something using the 8" fostex.

Your post has me wondering which would sound better in corners the Frugalhorn or the BIB? Both designed for that application.

The Brynn 'looks' like it would work well with the 126/127.

Godzilla

Godzilla said:

Love your 126e BIB! Even the 6.5" fostex drivers sound better to me than the 4" because they can handle more power before sounding all frazzled. They also have a more relaxed and fuller sound. Never tried the 8 inch drivers but i have heard from others they sound even better in some ways than 6.5 inchers. One day i will have to build something using the 8" fostex.

Your post has me wondering which would sound better in corners the Frugalhorn or the BIB? Both designed for that application.

Godzilla

Jeff - I've tried 4 different drivers in the Brynn, FE126 & FF125K (both with series R), FE127 and Hemp FR4.5. The Hemp is a great sounding driver, but not (yet/again?) relatively available - of the Fostex drivers, the FE127 shines most in this design - the double mouthed Gabriel might be better suited to the FE126.

Of course, most of my listening is in smaller rooms, and at lower levels where the 4" drivers are not overtaxed.

doorman said:
If corner placement for Frugel Horns is not pratical, and you don't mind using a sub, they still work really well IMHO.
Good Hunting!
Don

I have read too many good things about the frugel , maybe I ;ll make them some day, thanks

Godzilla said:

Godzilla

thanks, they do look nice, and they sound even better IMHO ...

your work is great , thank you

I recently built Austin 126s, and so far this is the enclosure that has the most potential, of the ones I have built. I still need to build the rear deflector, as well as the supra baffel. Currently the bass sounds a bit too much, though I think that will be fixed with the supra baffel maybe fixing the compression chamber volume. There is also something going on in the midrange that I think will be fixed with the rear deflector preventing sound from coming back into the horn. Mine are about 8" from rear walls, though there are corners about a foot and a half away which may be helping the bass. They have only a very slight toe in.

I have had these drivers in first generaion Harveys, and inverted BIBs.

I would suggest the Austins. In my room they are producing better bass then Half Changs with Pioneer B20s in them. They still have the midrange greatness of the fe126 driver.

wondering is 60watts too much to fostrex 126

Anyone can advice is a solid state amp of 60watts a overkill in-term of power to drive the 93db full range speaker. I am going to built a cabinet for 126 and still puzzle which design to pick. backwards horn or bass relex which plan to place at a living room of 20ft x 12ft. Can anyone mind share your experience and comment on your set-up......thanks

Well, it's certainly overkill, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. At least you know that your dynamic BW will only be restricted by the speakers, not the amplifier as well. That said, you might want to look for something else in the future.

BR & 126 generally = not a great combination. They're better off in a horn, which is what they were designed for.

I have driven the 126 with the super t amp, with 2 china pp )yaqin and ming da), with a couple of transistor amps (thule, pioneer), with the trends, with dared mp 5 and of course with the tubelab that I build a couple of months ago ....
and this is the compo I kept and I like the most (the 126e's BIB with the tubelab) ...

btw I forgot to mention another option for the drivers , the hemp acoustics 8''

but if you ask right now I think I'll go for 207e .......

a few thoughts:

Any of the amps you've listed would certainly have enough "muscle" for the 207E's, and don't be surprised if you find a different favorite amp/speaker combo - be prepared to roll tubes in the tubelab for "tone control".

An application like this would be a great showcase for the flexibility of Eddie Vaughn's Carina - in Triode mode, not the most grunt achievable with the EL84, but the combination of driver tube cap bypass and Ultralinear/Triode switches allow for a wide range of flavors from the same amp, without even rolling tubes.

After spending much time with the FE126E, even in an less than optimum enclosure, you might find the 207E a bit dark and thin at the top end. Phase plugs & other types of treatment won't likely help that much, and you may well need to consider adding a tweeter.

To find a better combo is what is all about, I have also another pair of loudspeakers (http://www.audiospectrum-hifi.com/english/index.htm) made by a talented Greek ... which I use very often

My tubelab also has the triode/ultralinear switch and switchable feedback, I like the 126e's in triode mode with no feedback using the EL34, 6L6 sound nice too but I prefer the EL34's, havent yet tried KT88 though ...

do you have in mind any tweeter that will match the 207e??

jimazz said:
To find a better combo is what is all about, I have also another pair of loudspeakers (http://www.audiospectrum-hifi.com/english/index.htm) made by a talented Greek ... which I use very often

My tubelab also has the triode/ultralinear switch and switchable feedback, I like the 126e's in triode mode with no feedback using the EL34, 6L6 sound nice too but I prefer the EL34's, havent yet tried KT88 though ...

do you have in mind any tweeter that will match the 207e??

I'd be inclined to stick with Fostex horn tweeter - at the very least the FT17H, But be warned that once you get past their entry level horn, you're looking at higher cost than the 207E itself.

Of course, I could be all washed up about the need for a tweeter at all. My only listening experience with Fostex 8" Fullrangers was the FE206ESR in the BLH belonging to Frank McCrea, and honestly, I couldn't consistently detect a huge improvement when he connected the T90 or 900 or whatever model of supertweeter he was using.

bryn/126

"but... the Brynn (have allready checked it) is something that I plan to build next month .... so to give another option for the 126 (and keep the best sounding enclosure and put them in the bedroom) ..."

I built the bryn last year and used the 126 and I'm still happy with them. .......all the best....Pete

Re: bryn/126

oceancity said:
"but... the Brynn (have allready checked it) is something that I plan to build next month .... so to give another option for the 126 (and keep the best sounding enclosure and put them in the bedroom) ..."

I built the bryn last year and used the 126 and I'm still happy with them. .......all the best....Pete

pardon if the question has been already answered, but with which amp(s) are you driving the 126's in the Brynn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.