Brynn...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Godzilla said:
I just noticed the Brynn and it looks so cute!

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Brynn-GabrielChang-map-021107.pdf

It's a nice size and shape. Up against the wall should support bass even further. Has anyone built a pair?

Godzilla

yeppers, she's actually quite a sleeper, and not bad WAF either - I've built 2 pairs of them. After auditioning the first prototype, my sister had me build her a real pair.

I played with FE126 & FF125K with some series R, but settled on ole reliable FE127E. (or if you can get your hands on a pair of Hemp Acoustics FR4.5)

sand / kitty litter fill the lower void

A little bit off topic but related

For what it is worth I built a Gabriel.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122510&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

On paper it had a high WAF - I showed her the plans (she is an engineer) - having built them and put them in the living room the WAF has gone down...

I really like them and am playing with amplifiers (chip amps) and my squeezebox.

I would be interested to know what the Brynn sounds like in comparison as I think the next set will have to be smaller.

Hi all, my first post here, it seems I cannot start a thread until I'm deemed a good boy or something. I am working on a variation of the brynn based on some old wharfedale pacific pi cabs. They are 5mm taller than the brynn, deeper and narrower, I made the cc the correct volume and so afr they are doing ok. Still need some more hours on them but produce better bass with my EL34 valved chinese amp

a Brynn by another name?

paulfk said:
Hi all, my first post here, it seems I cannot start a thread until I'm deemed a good boy or something. I am working on a variation of the brynn based on some old wharfedale pacific pi cabs. They are 5mm taller than the brynn, deeper and narrower, I made the cc the correct volume and so afr they are doing ok. Still need some more hours on them but produce better bass with my EL34 valved chinese amp

Paul, welcome to the forum and the crazy world of DIY audio. It's not clear if you're recycling old Wharfedale drivers, or using something else in these enclosures.

With all due respect, when significant changes are made to a loudspeaker design such as the Brynn - which like most of his designs, Scott fairly tightly tuned to a specific driver - the results might very well sound fine indeed, but they should probably be given a different name.

I build a genetic crossing between the curvy-chang and the brynn.
Tried different drivers , in exchange baffle front, FE126 and some others.
Now running Kef B110B and T27 with kef x-over. Everybody says STUNNING!!
Very high WAF.
They are suited for a lot of drivers, very forgivible.
Only a pic during building proces.

Attachments

• p1000424 curvy2.jpg
    p1000424 curvy2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 906
Thank's form the compliment Godzilla,

Yes, it's always nice to have a bunch of drivers on the shelf!!
Still planning to send you some pics of "The Lowther DX3 in a BIB".
If they are welcome ??And where to mail ??
I'm sorry for my mistake, in my previous post : read Gabriël instead of Brynn .
Another pic , with Monacor full range.

Attachments

• p1000426 met re.jpg
    p1000426 met re.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 969
To Chrisb,

Neither, we have a store over here for secondhand stuf.
The supra-baffle's are beertray's , made from pressed wood , 25 cent a piece.
Most of the time I work backward, meaning ; I see a lot of things on this forum that I wanna try. Looking at stores I see things that are to be used for another purpose.
That brings me to ideas and then I adjust(size and recalculate) the original design.
For instance I replicated MJK's open baffle design after seeing pieces of an old bed.
They didn't have the right size, so I read Martin's article carefully and deceided to adjust the x-over components 10%.
They sounded terrific (=good).
Measured them with an old digital system called DAAS(german).
And this was according the theorie.
Sorry for the bad English, I do hope you understand my explanation.

Or an IKEA bamboe pot , the hole(backside) had the right dimensions for a tube.
87mm foster unit(about fe83 foster) mounted in the bottom.
The conical "horns" , found them in the secondhandstore ;
50 cents each , simulate them in hornresp.
Are going to be fronthorns for lowther, filling in nice the acoustical hole ~250-1000Hz.

Attachments

• imgp0112 [640x480].jpg
    imgp0112 [640x480].jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 803
point taken about the name change, but the point is I used the brynn as somewhere to start and the general dimensions are close. I also used fostex FE126E's. The wharfedales are only useful as firewood in my opinion so hacking them about and seeing how they came out was not much of a gamble as the FE126E's are probably destined for some frugal horns.

Leon - to answer a related question on another thread regarding use of inverted salad bowls for supra-baffles, how did you to about attaching the trays to the main enclosures, and filling/sealing the resulting void cavity?

and don't worry - your English is much better than my Netherlandian would be

Completed Brynn's.

I had a listen a few months ago before they were oiled up and was uninspired to finish them as I'm not madly keen on the Fostex (127e) sound, preferring CSS FR125 in 12.5L BR cabinets.

They were a little nicer than when they were in a 13L BR with 2dB BSC but I think I just find the CSS a nicer all rounder (SPL's not withstanding).

I'll bring them in tomorrow and give them another run. It is a lovely looking cabinet shape though, and if you like Fostex then likely well worth the effort.

Attachments

• brynn1.jpg
    brynn1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 632
lazyfly said:
Completed Brynn's.

I had a listen a few months ago before they were oiled up and was uninspired to finish them as I'm not madly keen on the Fostex (127e) sound, preferring CSS FR125 in 12.5L BR cabinets.

They were a little nicer than when they were in a 13L BR with 2dB BSC but I think I just find the CSS a nicer all rounder (SPL's not withstanding).

I'll bring them in tomorrow and give them another run. It is a lovely looking cabinet shape though, and if you like Fostex then likely well worth the effort.

I agree, I also have some bass reflex front ported speakers with CSS fr125's that were my first build and I am about to build another pair for use with the tv.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.