Brynn...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks fella's,

I may have to swallow my pride too. They don't sound half bad at all, and that's without BSC. The only variable that has changed since I first heard them was a B1 buffer is now in front of the amp.

Still a shouty bugger at the top end but a little 10mm audax tweeter will be tried out.

I may have to scrounge for some more walnut for a little L shaped 'baffle' for it (tweeter).

I loved the CSS but not the Fostex. Now I'm beginning to appreciate the Fostex. I'm a convert!

Dave,

I'm not even talking to you. Between you, the Moose fella and Rabbitz (the reason behind me hearing the CSS in the first place) I'd be happily discontented listening to multi-ways that so far have not worked in my room.

Wait, this is working out to be a good thing.

I didn't want to be a bloody Fostex lover though!

;)

lazyfly said:
Dave,

I'm not even talking to you. Between you, the Moose fella and Rabbitz (the reason behind me hearing the CSS in the first place) I'd be happily discontented listening to multi-ways that so far have not worked in my room.

Wait, this is working out to be a good thing.

I didn't want to be a bloody Fostex lover though!

;)

Nice grain matching on the Brynn cabinets, and yup the little 4"rs kinda grow on ya, huh?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
lazyfly said:
is there another, (here we go) better Fostex that'll drop into the Brynn cabinet with reasonable success?

FX120, F120A. The FX120 is abou the same $ as FE127eN, the FX120 is smoother (way smoother than a stock one), but lacks the downward dynamic range of the 127eN, but better than stock by a fair bit. You loose a bit of efficency and they tend to like voltage amps better.

You probably need to add a bit more damping to the box to make it appear slighly larger.

Jeff, you have FX120 in our Brynn at one time didn't you?

dave

bassrogue said:
Chisb,
You said you tried the FF125. Was it stock or modified? What is your opinion on this driver/box combo? :smash:

All drivers were modified with as close to equal degrees of treatment as their dissimilar cone / dust-cap material and shapes allow.

I played with both the FE126E and FF125K in the Brynns, experimenting with series R of up to 4 ohms IIRC, and on tube amps ranging from Paramour 2A3 to DIY Class A EL84 P/P triode to Jolida 203 EL34.

Simply put, even though the series resistance helped tonal balance, the result for me with either was not as satisfying or relaxed and transparent as with the FE127E. Another driver that works very well in this box, and is a virtual drop-in replacement if not rebated for flush mount, is the mythical HA FR4.5 - a good pair can be quite delightful. In fact, that's what's running in my own pair at this time.

Thanks for the information on the FX120 and the Hemp acoustics.

If I said I was really enjoying, much to my disgust, the FE127's but can certainly identify their shortcomings, am I likely to be impressed with the F120's?

I'd like something with the immediacy and intimacy, but a little smoother. I've read that it has finer detail retrieval than the FX driver, which sounds good to me (in theory, not literally. Haven't heard either obviously). The 138es are only ~$50 more ea. I don't think they'yd be close to a drop in though, but I'm up for new cabinets :D

vinylkid, hope your pooch is okay.

Thank you to all.

P.S I'm quite surprised by the bottom end of this speaker. It works quite well in the room. A little more wouldn't hurt, but not too much!

lazyfly said:
Thanks for the information on the FX120 and the Hemp acoustics.

If I said I was really enjoying, much to my disgust, the FE127's but can certainly identify their shortcomings, am I likely to be impressed with the F120's?

I'd like something with the immediacy and intimacy, but a little smoother. I've read that it has finer detail retrieval than the FX driver, which sounds good to me (in theory, not literally. Haven't heard either obviously). The 138es are only ~$50 more ea. I don't think they'yd be close to a drop in though, but I'm up for new cabinets :D

vinylkid, hope your pooch is okay.

Thank you to all.

P.S I'm quite surprised by the bottom end of this speaker. It works quite well in the room. A little more wouldn't hurt, but not too much!

I've had a pair of FX120 sitting on my desk shelf for at least 6 months, but other projects keep getting in the way, so I don't have personal observations to offer.

I did however get the opportunity to spend some time with the F120A alnico magnet big brother of this driver lat year, and for me it was a significant step up from the FE127E in all respects, except sensitivity ( flea watt / high efficiency horn aficionados would likely be disappointed). Mind you, my listening habits and musical preferences no longer test any amp/speaker combo at threshold of pain.

After our happy results with the F120A, we have a particular design in mind for the FX120, but perhaps Dave or Scott can chime in as to whether it could mate well with a re-tuned version of the Brynn.

As for the FE138eS - you might want to review SereneChaos's experience - it's my recollection that he had mixed feelings on this one.

I'm back with extended listening impressions.

Hmm, good or bad first?

I'll merge...

This is a lovely little speaker that does some things very right. All of the music I've played through them has worked very well to degree's. Their obvious shortcomings to me are bottom end (we all knew that), SPL's (we should know that too) and most important to me, scale.

They don't give the correct impression of an instruments size. A snare drum being an excellent example. It sounds like a snare drum, only a small one, like a childs 1/2 size kit. This is evident mostly on the more dynamic percussion instruments.

Classical guitar sounds sensational (when you can find a good recording!) as do vocals though again, male vocals are slightly scaled down.

Bass rolls off very quickly but this is a by-product of the drivers construction. What is there is perhaps 60Hz of musicality and I would guess not a great deal below that. That we get this much bass from the driver is obviously also the reason for the limited SPL's. For most listening it's got plenty of willy, but on those few occasions you want to give it a bit more stick, forget it, use it within its limits and it can charm your pants off (wait, shouldn't have written that).

This is a very coherent speaker with a lively sound in an intimate setting. In small rooms it's a keeper and if I was willing to fork over the coin I'd try a 'better' pair of drivers in the cabinet such as the FX or F120's. If your a fan of the smaller drivers I believe it'd be worth it. For me, the scale is the deal breaker, something I don't believe any treatment, or better but same sized driver can overcome :(

As fate would have it I was fortunate to purchase a pair of new Coral Flat 10 II's. This driver, so far, is everything I've been looking for in a speaker. Fast, coherent, dynamic, immediate and charming all at the same time. True, it has a Foster tweeter rolling in at around 10k (more testing to be done here) but we have a full-range 10" driver running cross-over-less :D and a super tweet blending beautifully with a single cap.

Magic!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.