new Nirvana models - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2009, 09:34 PM   #1
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default new Nirvana models

see two new drivers -- - if the 15 had Q around 0.3 I'd try one in K15

Super 8 Alnico
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an8alnicospecs.jpg

Super 15 cast frame
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an15cfspecs.jpg
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I wondered how long it'd take them to do a 15in unit. About time someone did. The AlNiCo driver's a bit of a surprise though. Good on them.
Old 22nd February 2009, 08:25 PM   #3
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default reasonably priced too -

www.commonsenseaudio.com

am i correct in thinking the 15 can be used o.b. without the need for a additional bass driver?

the 8 would be more appealing to me if it were of a higher efficiency than 90.5db sens. unless i'm missing something it's fq. resp. looks to be in the same watt/meter db range of the seas exotic. not that i'd expect it to sound the same but at least audio nirvana isn't claiming 93db.
Old 22nd February 2009, 08:46 PM   #4
gwing is offline gwing  United States
diyAudio Member

As I've contemplating building a BIB for the 8" AN I cannot help but wonder if you have to give up an entire room of the house for each of the 15"ers.
Old 22nd February 2009, 09:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, you'd need a Vb of ~175.75ft^3. Each. That's based on the published specs. too, which have in the past been shown to be pure fiction (like the vast majority of other manufacturers, so they're not alone) -Q will likely be substantially higher, if past form is anything to go by, so count on needing even more volume.

For OB -should be OK, so long as high SPLs aren't a requirement, so probably good for smaller rooms.
Old 23rd February 2009, 01:17 AM   #6
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Default Re: reasonably priced too -

Quote:
Originally posted by mp9
am i correct in thinking the 15 can be used o.b. without the need for a additional bass driver?
You will still need another woofer to provide additional bass output. A reasonably sized open baffle starts to roll-off the driver's SPL response at 6 dB/octave starting at 200 to 300 Hz. So you will need additional bass output to offset this effect and keep the system flat as you go lower in frequency. Maybe a second 15" high efficiency woofer with a Qts > 1 running from fs to about 200 Hz would do the trick.
Old 23rd February 2009, 02:58 AM   #7
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: reasonably priced too -

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
For OB -should be OK, so long as high SPLs aren't a requirement, so probably good for smaller rooms.
are you referring to the 15" driver?
Quote:
Originally posted by MJK
A reasonably sized open baffle starts to roll-off the driver's SPL response at 6 dB/octave starting at 200 to 300 Hz. So you will need additional bass output to offset this effect and keep the system flat as you go lower in frequency.
why are the phy drivers o.k. and rec. on their own / o.b.? www.tonianlabs.com/H21lb15_E.html
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:00 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes. (BTW, remember the Q of the AN15 is likely, based on past evidence, to be around 0.8 rather than the ~0.5 they claim.)

Because PHY's baffle is about 68in wide, which is somewhat larger than most.

Old 23rd February 2009, 10:36 AM   #9
MJK is offline MJK  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Default Re: Re: Re: reasonably priced too -

Quote:
Originally posted by mp9
why are the phy drivers o.k. and rec. on their own / o.b.? www.tonianlabs.com/H21lb15_E.html
Why do you belive those plots? They don't make much sense to me.

By reasonably sized baffle I was thinking 2 feet wide, the baffle pictured is much wider then what most people would consider reasonable.

Looking at the plotted SPL response and the driver parameters is another indicator that something is off. The plot shows a flat response down to 50 Hz. A driver with the Qts and fs shown could not do that in an infinite baffle. Looks to me like the response has been "adjusted" or they are doing some EQing.
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I don't buy it either Martin. If I'm reading that right, it looks like it's supposed to be the driver, on the baffle-plan provided, in their anechoic chamber. So they must be Eq-ing it up. The baffle should start rolling off at ~73Hz & mass-corner on the linked unit is around 152.54Hz, IB, on the published specs. So under anechoic conditions, I can't see any way it'll be flat to 50Hz. Looks like it's been 1/2 octave smoothed too.

Granted, the PHY drivers do sound great though -they're one of my favourite wide-band units. Wish I could afford a pair.

Hide this!Advertise here!