My Frugel-Horn Build - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2009, 02:31 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

That post just above shows a very good example of the flare technique.

http://www.madaboutsound.com/prod_de...4&sa=cf&ctid=6
Old 10th March 2009, 02:55 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton
That post just above shows a very good example of the flare technique.

http://www.madaboutsound.com/prod_de...4&sa=cf&ctid=6

I noticed that too when I clicked on it earlier today. That really helps out a lot. I bought a rasp for doing that but I'm not sure it is the correct tool for the application....let me explain

My situation is a bit unique since I've already attached the baffles. There just simply isn't enough room in the compression chamber to use the rasp at its fullest. If I used VERY short strokes with the rasp it would work but would probably drive me insane.

I ended up buying a little dremel bit that looks like it will get the job done. I'll be able to maneuver it around quite a bit better I think.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10th March 2009, 05:08 AM   #103
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by italynstylion
My situation is a bit unique since I've already attached the baffles.
I've been in that situation many times. Rasp works fine.

dave
Old 10th March 2009, 02:02 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

I've been in that situation many times. Rasp works fine.

dave

I can see it as a problem if one is trying to do this from the opposite side where you can't get much pressure on a file.
Old 10th March 2009, 06:44 PM   #105
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton
I can see it as a problem if one is trying to do this from the opposite side where you can't get much pressure on a file.
It isn't as easy working from the front on an already fixed baffle, but it works.

dave
Old 17th March 2009, 06:22 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

I received the drivers yesterday and I'm going to start work on opening up the back side of the baffle where the speaker mounts.

I know I need to fill up the compression chamber a bit to get the horn action to be lower. What sort of stuff do I fill it with? I assume it has to be something totally solid right? Also, my drivers each came with a small soft circular pad type thing. What is this intended for? Does that go behind the driver to lessen the back wave re-entering the cone?
Old 17th March 2009, 06:28 PM   #107
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I know I need to fill up the compression chamber a bit to get the horn action to be lower. What sort of stuff do I fill it with? I assume it has to be something totally solid right? Also, my drivers each came with a small soft circular pad type thing. What is this intended for? Does that go behind the driver to lessen the back wave re-entering the cone?
Irregular shaped wooden blocks would be good for fill... then you can add them incrementally.

The wool felt pad is intended to be glued onto the back of the magnet to reduce reflections.

dave
Old 17th March 2009, 06:48 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Awesome, thanks for the quick response dave.

Do other than the felt pad is there anything else soft I should be putting in the compression chamber?
Old 17th March 2009, 06:59 PM   #109
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the quick response dave.

Do other than the felt pad is there anything else soft I should be putting in the compression chamber?
That you'll want to "tune" by ear - with irregular surfaces in the chamber from the wooden blocks Dave suggested, you may not need as much damping, so I'd start with thin felt / underpadding material on one side wall and the bottom of the chamber.

Use a mono source (such as FM radio ) to compare treated to non treated enclosures, listening for reductions of coloration (if any)
Old 19th March 2009, 08:57 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Chris, thank you for explaining that further. I'm going to give that a shot. What things have you guys all used in the compression chambers to fill the space? I was thinking about using some wooden dowels that I'd slide into place. I'd use a a few different diameter dowel types to make sure it was an irregular surface.

Hide this!Advertise here!