L CAO in OB W/ Eminence Woofer - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2012, 09:14 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

without baffle there is no need for baffle step correction?
Old 14th January 2012, 10:24 PM   #102
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNABLASTERTUNERS View Post
without baffle there is no need for baffle step correction?
Dipoles don't have a 6 dB baffle step, but a 6 dB/oct roll-off. This means, that the baffle step does not end after 6 dB, but falls off infinitely. That's one of the big advantages of dipoles
Old 16th January 2012, 12:40 PM   #103
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjarnetv View Post
still in the trial and error phase of things, as i have made a couple of measurment mics, but none of them measure the same, so i dont trust them completely

based on listening and the similarities of the different measurements i have made, i have made a temporary setup that sounds good enough for me to live with until i can get my hands on a proper mic.

i have a 150hz LR 12 db/oct low pass on the woofers, and run the L.cao fullrange.
the woofers has a 12db gain at 55hz (Q 1.9)

the l.cao has a peak of -5 at 1800hz (Q 1,3)

in addition i have added -4db to the treble controls on my kenwood 700c pre starting at 3000hz to counteract the rising response of the 8".
(the reason i did it on the kenwood was because it both sounded and measured correct, and i didnt want to fiddle with the minidsp EQ anymore )

-bjarne
Just one more question...

How does the top end sound with these drivers? Are they nice and crisp, or are they rather rolled off like a lot of 8" drivers?
Old 16th January 2012, 05:05 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
Just one more question...

How does the top end sound with these drivers? Are they nice and crisp, or are they rather rolled off like a lot of 8" drivers?
i find the treble perfectly adequate, but then my last speakers were esl63's, so i am probably just used to rolled off treble

i'm sure a tweeter would make a good addition, but i prefer to keep it simle for now.
Old 14th February 2012, 04:23 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

So after lot`s of mails and shipping i`ve got repaired speakers yesterday. And both are sounding quite the same as it should be.
I think they need a lithe break in, because they were a little bit frozen, but first impression is quite good. For my taste the terrible is quite fine, but i need a little more. I took a sipe HT with which is 4 ohm and a 1,5uF for testing. Not bad, but i will report.
Regards, Michael
Old 17th April 2012, 11:46 PM   #106
Garytr is offline Garytr  Canada
diyAudio Member

Any more updates on the sound of the Alnico open baffle ?
Gary
Old 18th April 2012, 11:24 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garytr View Post
Any more updates on the sound of the Alnico open baffle ?
Gary
unfortunately my computer died, and with it, my main music source, so the project has been standing still for a couple of months now

the last thing i did was revisiting the use of a conventional baffle, and i must admit, i preferred it to the no-baffle version, as it allowed me to lower the crossover of the woofers.

i guess if i want to make a baffleless speaker, i will need to invest in better woofers with the ability to cross higher

the next step will probably be building a new baffle, and see if i can lower the crossover without having to eq the heck out of the l cao to meet the woofers.
Old 18th April 2012, 03:19 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

i'd be very interested in seeing some real world frequency plots for these drivers as they're on my short list of affordable alnico play things. the provided responses look far too good to be true.

also if anyone would like to provide a good quality video of them playing some music that would be nice.
Old 19th April 2012, 12:23 AM   #109
The one and only

I haven't gotten around to unboxing my alnicos, but I don't expect a lot
of difference between the earlier ones.

Curve shown here is in 3 x 5 ft OB with an Eminence 15 beta (you can see
the crossover and sum). At 1M with 1/3 octave smoothing. There is
a bit of a peak at 3 KHz, but you can notch it out. No worse than most.

Attached Images
File Type: gif L CAO COMPOSITE.gif (6.1 KB, 590 views)
Old 19th April 2012, 03:30 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
I haven't gotten around to unboxing my alnicos, but I don't expect a lot
of difference between the earlier ones.

Curve shown here is in 3 x 5 ft OB with an Eminence 15 beta (you can see
the crossover and sum). At 1M with 1/3 octave smoothing. There is
a bit of a peak at 3 KHz, but you can notch it out. No worse than most.

have you still got the older model handy? if possible could you post a recording of them playing?

what is the dustcap made of? it looks like its made of permeable material in some of the pictures. is it solid? i was planning on butchering a pair with phase plugs and the EnABL process.

would you recommend a pair of these over a similarly priced speaker from one of the more mainstream speaker manufacturers?

Hide this!Advertise here!