diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   Open air loudspeakers (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/138791-open-air-loudspeakers.html)

jprsadler 17th February 2009 07:32 PM

Open air loudspeakers

Hi

She who must be obeyed has decreed that I can build a pair of loudspeakers for outside entertainment... We entertain at least twice a week and in good weather the BBQ is the easiest thing to do. So we are outside a lot.

Great! So I thought of a full range speaker, and then paused... which one?

Other things to know - wood-working skills? None, I have two left feet as far as that is concerned, on the other hand I do want to improve this so am willing to have a go at just about anything! My wife has just passed the comment: "Not on the house, you don't!"

So there we have it. A full range loudspeaker suitable for outdoor entertainment. All suggestions gratefully received!

Nelson Pass 17th February 2009 08:46 PM

The Pioneer Bu20Fu20 is not weatherproof, but would otherwise
be a good all-round driver for this and only costs about $20.

:cool:

rcavictim 17th February 2009 09:09 PM

A pair of Altec Voice of the Theatre A-7's, preferably the larger horn A7-500 can make a party out of any outdoor BQ!

Fortunately with each being the size of a fridge, they are not too big. ;)

Cal Weldon 17th February 2009 09:59 PM

Please tell us what you are looking for. I like the two examples given (you can see a modified A7 in my avatar) but we need to know more.

How loud will it need to go? ie: is it background music or are you doing a little dancing after dinner?

How far away from the speakers are you going to be?

What amplifier will you be using?

Do they have to be removable or are they permanent?

Will they need to be waterproof?

jprsadler 17th February 2009 10:14 PM

I have a nearby shed in which to put the speakers, so a weatherproof driver is not a concern.

As to those out-door ambient things (they are sometimes disguised as rocks or other garden rubbish) - rubbish they remain!

Things the size of fridges won't fit in the outdoor shed. They also have low WAF!

She quite likes the Changs - mainly for their small footprint; our entertainment deck is enough to seat around 20 people at a squeeze.

rcavictim 18th February 2009 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jprsadler
I have a nearby shed in which to put the speakers, so a weatherproof driver is not a concern.

As to those out-door ambient things (they are sometimes disguised as rocks or other garden rubbish) - rubbish they remain!

Things the size of fridges won't fit in the outdoor shed. They also have low WAF!

She quite likes the Changs - mainly for their small footprint; our entertainment deck is enough to seat around 20 people at a squeeze.

Good excuse to put up a bigger outdoor shed! As for WAF, that's OK, just tell SWMBO that if she doesn't like the look of them you won't bring them into the house.

The legendary Altec A7 VOT loudspeaker has a long throw so you want to set up a stereo pair maybe 25 feet apart and pointing at your seating area from about 25-35 feet away. There are few loudspeakers that will produce more natural, sweeter sound than these under such conditions outdoor as where room reflections are totally absent. This sound really IS worth the price of admission! I own four A-7's, I know! :) :) :)

They are so highly efficient they will run on flea power amplifiers. 20 watts RMS from a P-P 6L6 amp through each would be party rock time.

jprsadler 18th February 2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cal Weldon
Please tell us what you are looking for. I like the two examples given (you can see a modified A7 in my avatar) but we need to know more.

How loud will it need to go? ie: is it background music or are you doing a little dancing after dinner?

How far away from the speakers are you going to be?

What amplifier will you be using?

Do they have to be removable or are they permanent?

Will they need to be waterproof?

Background music and knowing my wife a little after-dinner exercise may not go amiss.

I need to fill an area around 3 metres X 3 metres for sound

Amplification at this stage will be a pair of highly modified Quad405-2

The loudspeakers should be movable and waterproofing (for the drivers) is not a concern.

PeteMcK 18th February 2009 12:54 AM

mention 'Karson Rocket' on this thread, & Freddy's bound to give you heaps of info:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=3

planet10 18th February 2009 01:46 AM

Hang a set of open baffles above the deck rail. Have a removable sub-baffle that you can remove/install as required.

dave

freddi 18th February 2009 05:30 AM

re:Rocket - I had another 8-10dB on this over the video - although that would probably fry it long term - the speaker was a $13.60 Sammi with no~2.2% - regular style Karlson might be better - I don't know of a good 12" fullrange - Beta12LT has good power handling but weak highs. Coax such as Martinsound's Eminence 1114 with 80oz magnet + APT60 have good snap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znfE7hjQ40o