Open air loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

She who must be obeyed has decreed that I can build a pair of loudspeakers for outside entertainment... We entertain at least twice a week and in good weather the BBQ is the easiest thing to do. So we are outside a lot.

Great! So I thought of a full range speaker, and then paused... which one?

Other things to know - wood-working skills? None, I have two left feet as far as that is concerned, on the other hand I do want to improve this so am willing to have a go at just about anything! My wife has just passed the comment: "Not on the house, you don't!"

So there we have it. A full range loudspeaker suitable for outdoor entertainment. All suggestions gratefully received!

Please tell us what you are looking for. I like the two examples given (you can see a modified A7 in my avatar) but we need to know more.

How loud will it need to go? ie: is it background music or are you doing a little dancing after dinner?

How far away from the speakers are you going to be?

What amplifier will you be using?

Do they have to be removable or are they permanent?

Will they need to be waterproof?

I have a nearby shed in which to put the speakers, so a weatherproof driver is not a concern.

As to those out-door ambient things (they are sometimes disguised as rocks or other garden rubbish) - rubbish they remain!

Things the size of fridges won't fit in the outdoor shed. They also have low WAF!

She quite likes the Changs - mainly for their small footprint; our entertainment deck is enough to seat around 20 people at a squeeze.

jprsadler said:
I have a nearby shed in which to put the speakers, so a weatherproof driver is not a concern.

As to those out-door ambient things (they are sometimes disguised as rocks or other garden rubbish) - rubbish they remain!

Things the size of fridges won't fit in the outdoor shed. They also have low WAF!

She quite likes the Changs - mainly for their small footprint; our entertainment deck is enough to seat around 20 people at a squeeze.

Good excuse to put up a bigger outdoor shed! As for WAF, that's OK, just tell SWMBO that if she doesn't like the look of them you won't bring them into the house.

The legendary Altec A7 VOT loudspeaker has a long throw so you want to set up a stereo pair maybe 25 feet apart and pointing at your seating area from about 25-35 feet away. There are few loudspeakers that will produce more natural, sweeter sound than these under such conditions outdoor as where room reflections are totally absent. This sound really IS worth the price of admission! I own four A-7's, I know! :) :) :)

They are so highly efficient they will run on flea power amplifiers. 20 watts RMS from a P-P 6L6 amp through each would be party rock time.

Cal Weldon said:
Please tell us what you are looking for. I like the two examples given (you can see a modified A7 in my avatar) but we need to know more.

How loud will it need to go? ie: is it background music or are you doing a little dancing after dinner?

How far away from the speakers are you going to be?

What amplifier will you be using?

Do they have to be removable or are they permanent?

Will they need to be waterproof?

Background music and knowing my wife a little after-dinner exercise may not go amiss.

I need to fill an area around 3 metres X 3 metres for sound

Amplification at this stage will be a pair of highly modified Quad405-2

The loudspeakers should be movable and waterproofing (for the drivers) is not a concern.

re:Rocket - I had another 8-10dB on this over the video - although that would probably fry it long term - the speaker was a $13.60 Sammi with no~2.2% - regular style Karlson might be better - I don't know of a good 12" fullrange - Beta12LT has good power handling but weak highs. Coax such as Martinsound's Eminence 1114 with 80oz magnet + APT60 have good snap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znfE7hjQ40o

Just so you know what I am dealing with...

The deck is where the speakers are going and where the people are. It is mounted on a garage. It has internal access to the upstairs living space (kitchen, sitting room, etc)

The space is around 3M X 3M and has a hill directly behind it.

I had thought that a BVR (one of Scott's) might be a good choice. One of the reasons being high WAF, low wood-working skills...

My wood-working skills are on this level (please pay close attention to my many mistakes!) since this is a warts and all build document...

My finances are limited to around NZ$1000, So Fostex speakers are a possibility.

Oh, once last thing I do appreciate your sugestions, even if I reject them, since it does make me think about the project. Thank you!

Attachments

• house1.jpeg
    house1.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 186
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.