Fostex Reccomended Enclosures - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2009, 04:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Fostex Reccomended Enclosures

Has any one given the fe167e enclosures with the port in the stand a try? I really like the look and idea. Didn't see any prvs threads, but I'm not saying I didn't search corredtly either
Old 16th February 2009, 04:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'd say it's another creative and interesting way to box up a Fostex 167e. One of the best things about diy speaker building is that you can try different things. If the style of that recommended enclosure suits your needs than go for it. There are probably worse ways to use that driver. I do recall someone building it years ago and enjoying the sound they got. I'd imagine they'd be light on bass but most designs using the 167e are. If you are unhappy with it you can try other things to enjoy those drivers. For example, if you will be placing these speakers into corners i'd recommend building a BIB.

http://www.zillaaudio.com/bib-calculator.htm

Otherwise, there are plenty more great ways to enjoy.

Godzilla
Old 16th February 2009, 06:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The recommended enclosure you mention was written up in audioXpress a few years ago. I have never seen anything on it here or elsewhere.

My current build with the 167e is an MLTL. That one is going to be big enough. What Jeff gives up there for the BIB has been described as a refrigerator.

The thread for the build being guided by GM (I have no good design knowledge of my own) is at the thread 'box variations on MLTL for the 167e.'

Box variations on the MLTL for the Fostex FE167e

I have not seen many designs using the smallish bass reflex type
cabinet for the 167e. Most are floor standers like the 3 ft one or Bob Brines excellent builds proven with time.

As to the BIB, I have that too but for the smaller 127e. Even moving that is like dancing with a dump truck.

Old 16th February 2009, 06:28 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There is nothing wrong with the port in the stand idea... i would check Fostex' s model thou (we built the 15 litre BR, ended up changing the port a bit.

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/measured.html

dave
Old 16th February 2009, 08:05 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Great measured data Dave. I hate seeing that big a difference but it's part of the game manufactures play i guess. I knew my fostex drivers were not 95db per watt as soon as i heard them but they are efficient drivers if you consider 91 - 93db efficient... and they are easy amplifier loads.

The TB drivers i have on hand are rated at 87db per watt and i don't think they are anywhere close. The Fostex are certainly more efficient.

As for BIBs being big... well, they are supposed to be big. I would build taller ones for the 8" drivers if i had the height in my room. I love their dynamic sound. Once placed into corners they disappear.... sort of.

Godzilla
Old 16th February 2009, 09:47 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You don't have to build them taller Jeff (IIRC we discussed this a while back). Length is only determined by tuning frequency. So tune to the lowest frequency / longest length practicable in your room & simply adjust the WxD dimensions to regain the lost Vp. You wouldn't gain much in extension of course, but you would in power-handling / LF transient response with the appropriate unit.
Old 16th February 2009, 10:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loninappleton
The recommended enclosure you mention was written up in audioXpress a few years ago. I have never seen anything on it here or elsewhere.
I think that is Pete Millet's design for the FE164
http://pmillett.com/ax_fullrange.htm
Cheers
Old 16th February 2009, 11:15 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes that is the one. And the title looks identical.

I cannot recall if he changed the dimensions at all.

My data sheet for the 167e has the same design on it.

First experience with the 167e in a smaller test build of stuff I had laying around 12x4x24 in rough terms is still pretty good. I'm using that one yet but it's not to any specific design-- just odds and ends.

After having such a shallow cabinet I wonder if the MLTL under construction will be boomy?

Always with the Fostex, midrange like guitar solo classical is superb.
Old 17th February 2009, 01:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default RE:

Thanks every one, Bass shy is not a concern since I have a pair of baby El-Pipe-O's already wth TB w8-740p's in them!
Old 17th February 2009, 01:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ha!

I thought I remembered those but had to look it up. That was in audioXpress (back in the day when they had more speaker features.)

I looked for sonotube off and on but never built a sub.

Hide this!Advertise here!