Alpair 10 and 5 Combination

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• alpair 10fr linhof.jpg
    alpair 10fr linhof.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 878
i agree, there's a tendency for diy to make the cabinets from solid wood

Do u think this is the best combination, dave?

even the curve ones, the stacked planks and cut to curve and routed curve inside :D , that's alots of material waste.

Attachments

• half round cabinet 4 construction resize.jpg
    half round cabinet 4 construction resize.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 824
Given the Alpair 5 operates well into the lower midrange, you probably won't need to get the drivers much closer than shown in the photo. My Jordan 2"/bass combination crossed at 500Hz and was about that distance apart. Sounded fine. The Alpairs will probably crossover lower. Besides, they need to be in their own separate enclosure (I assume, if like the Jordans) so you have to leave room for that.

I'd question the need for a supertweeter with them. The Jordan JXR6, which is similar, operates up to 30kHz.

_henry_ said:
is this the best combination?

Deep bass, and full extension highs?
great combo... I understood from some forum and magazines that at least a few German designers are also working on a design with the Alpair5 and Alpair10bass

planet10 said:
I'd try to get the drivers closer together.
would look a lot poorer, this appears to be golden ratio... and like Colin said, when crossed low enough probably not needed.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The sketch below is for our as-built Tysen with FF85 and sealed SDX7. The 1st concept had Jordan J6T/Alpair 5 ... i'm using the sketch to illustrate a possible approah to the double TL.

Tysen-conceptX.png

The aperiodic TL on the top is a straight-forward high ratio aperiodic TL -- if needed it could be rotated so that the botton was parallel to the ground and the top was sloped down towards the back.

What is a holey brace in the sealed box could easily be a TL partition. With Alpair 10, putting the driver on the front is probably a good idea. Further, to take advantage of optimum driver offset, i'd add an additional partition so that the back part of the line can be extended to have the terminus on the front/bottom. This should rotate the line sufficiently that the A10 will be near the bottom of the A5 TL.

dave

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.