T&S Lowther PM2A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I measured T&S parameters of one om mine Lowther PM2A and thought it would be of general intrest:

Sd 209 cm2
Vas 36 liters
Fs 58 Hz
Mmd 12,9 g
Mms 14,7 g
Re 8,8 Ohm
Bl 20,2 N/A

Cms 0,588 mm/N
Rms 1,87 Ns/m

Qms 2,68
Qes 0,107
Qts 0,103

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Close up

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Note the cone breakups at 950 Hz and 2300 Hz.

Regards / Petter

Ye Gods! I make that as a 1.126KHz Fhm. That's a unit demanding a front-horn if ever I saw one... or a very large dose of series resistance / current source amp.

One wonders just what level of unit-to-unit consistancy Lowther achieve. No offense to them (although they're not exactly my cup of tea), and other manufacturers certainly have issues in this respect too. But one wonders...

All of my drivers are the new version with the rolled whizzer cones. I used my pair of PM2A drivers in my large OB for quite a while and they sounded very good. Personally I like the DX drivers the best but I did not have any complaints about the PM2A's sound. I have also tried my PM2A's in my ML TL with a variable correction circuit and it sounded very nice, I prefered it to the PM6A's in the same ML TL. Based on the T/S measurements, there is something very different in my PM2A drivers and the ones in the original post.

Those are Lowther frames, not AER. They're the ones they used after the original square frames. I have some PM6A's with the same frames from the 1970's.

The cones look like they are from a "C" driver, not an A or DX driver. So probably are re-coned.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.