are there simple PLLXO soltuions for open baffle setups? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2009, 01:44 PM   #1
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default are there simple PLLXO soltuions for open baffle setups?

- whats the story? can passive line level crossover bi-amped systems work well for most fullrange + open baffle woofer systems? - assuming so, any examples and spreads that were needed? be nice to avoid extra circuitry and cost
Old 11th February 2009, 07:42 PM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

check harrison labs. www.hlabs.com
Old 11th February 2009, 08:15 PM   #3
JimW is offline JimW  United States
diyAudio Member

Default pllxo

Freddi, I have been listening to a 2.5 way open baffle rig using a pllxo for the .5. The upper (two way) is a GPA 604. I had been using the gPA in a JE labs baffle, and decided I would rather try a taller narrow baffle for easier placement. I figured the bottom would fall off drastically, so I tried a series of experiments using a pair of 416's as the .5 way drivers including such things as simply running them in parallel with the 604 bass unit, using resistors to divide the load. I figured using a separate amp for the 416 would be a better route, so I built a test pllxo. I planned it using fairly low value resistances so I could run it at speaker line level and feed a pp 2a3 amp that needs a fairly low drive source to drive the 416's. The 604's are driven with a se el84 amp. I am using the stock GPA crossover on the 604s. The crossover point was determined first by figuring baffle step, (which would be around 350 hz), and then by listening to various configurations from 350 hz up to about 1200hz, settling on the final 750-800 point. The results have been very good.
Old 11th February 2009, 08:21 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

As long as you can live with the limitations of a PLLXO it should work just fine.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!