Went dumpster diving and now I have a question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2009, 02:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Went dumpster diving and now I have a question

So I pulled a couple speakers out of the dumpster and I am curious about what is in them. I cannot open them (they are sealed at the front and back ) without destroying them, and I am wondering if it is worth my time or not. All I know about them is this:

Front as follows:

Soundesign
Acoustic Dynamics Hi-Fi Speaker System

Rear as follows:

Soundesign
Wide Range Speaker
Speaker Model: 0671D
6.5" Wide Range Speakers
Power Handling Capacity: 5 watts RMS
Impedance: 8 Ohms (Nominal)
9AH109T

My guess is the last line on the rear is a lot code or something. I googled and came up almost completely dry unless I was looking wrong. They are about 14" tall, 8" wide, and about the same deep, roughly. They don't sound to horrible, playing some Miles Davis iPod -> JLH -> these speakers, just to make sure they worked. A little bright, forward, and bass shy, but I wasn't expecting much of anything. Any information would be much appreciated.

Happy Listening, Cheers

James
Old 10th February 2009, 03:42 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

I axed quite a few SD cabs and others of its ilk in hopes of finding something worth salvaging, but alas they were only good for skeet practice........ Still, best to ask Dave P10 since he's pulled gems from brands that yielded nothing for me, making me wonder if maybe model lines sold in the Deep South might not have been the same as in some other areas.

FWIW, cheap Sonys, Technics of the '70s had some really good 'FR' and co-ax car audio drivers from before such types became PA types to better blend with the better damped, sealed cabins of newer car models. They hold up well over time also, I have a pair of free Sony co-axes from '75 still working fine out in the garage.

GM
Old 10th February 2009, 04:09 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A cabinet that cannot be accessed is usually not a good sign. But there is the possibility of something useful. Worst case yo'll ind a driver you ca do EnABL practise on.

None of the Sound Design cabinets i've "disassembled have been worth keeping. A saw or a big screwdriver & hammer (a screwdriver or chisel you can pound) can be used to ewmove the back.

Post pictures when you get the driver out.

dave
Old 10th February 2009, 05:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, I'll get around to cracking them here one of these days. I figured worst case I can use them to test some low powered SE's, nothing vested in them if I burn them out. I was really hoping to crack them open and find some Alnico gold, but alas I don't think that will happen.

However Dave, you may be happy to hear that I have been off and on browsing thrift stores in hopes of "rescuing" some vintage FE103's. I have plans of either a horn or some modified uFonken's ... maybe a ZigmaHornet, though I have heard they are not so good with FE103's.

As soon as I get around to getting them opened I will write what I find and try to post some pictures. You make a good point, something I can practice on. I have access to my dads sizable machine shop/"junk" storage facility, maybe I will take them down there, crack them, and stick them in some refrigerator box BIB's. Or like GM said, use them for skeet practice...lol!

Thanks again for the info guys!

Cheers

James
Old 10th February 2009, 09:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Soundesign did not change the basic designs much at all.

these are the same as in my first stereo.

they have small ceramic magnets, and a hi Q.

they are more than worth while, for free.
Old 11th February 2009, 03:01 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

So I did what I didn't want to do which was utterly massacre the speaker box in the process. They could be put back together, but I am not sure if they where worth it to begin with, I don't know anything about Sound Design. The second one is still in tact, so I guess worst case I could shove the driver back in and glue er' back up. Didn't really have a choice though, very liberal use of bitch strong glue.

Anyways what I got out of the first one was a 6.5" speaker with a smallish coil. On the back they say:

Model: 9SB6F06(D)
SD (assuming for Sound Design)
8 ohm 5W RMS
Taiwan R.O.C.

Black cone, black surround, chrome dust cap, and a gold colored frame. I will try to get a picture up soon. I am not sure if they are any good or not or just something to play around with. Like I said before, they don't really sound horrid, I am sure if they are any good the small cheap box doesn't really help.

Thanks for any info.

Cheers

James
Old 11th February 2009, 04:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Ok I have to admit these little buggers are kind of growing on me even if they are not that good (or maybe they are). I normally listen through a pair of Fisher XP6's (I am a poor college kid so I am yet to upgrade) and one of either a refurbished Knight EL84 integrated, a JLH Original (with 15003's instead of 3055's), a pair of LM3886's, or an old RCA theater amp when I feel like going mono (only one for now ). The main system though is the Fisher's and the Knight, second is the JLH + JFET Bride of Zen, the other two see minimal play time.

Aside from the lacking bass, due in part to the fact that the driver is naked and that the driver is 6.5" vs. 12"; they sound decent. Just as detailed as the Fishers if not a tad better. Much more efficient, the JLH's barely get warm where as with the Fisher's get HOT, I guess they take a lot of power to really get excited. Something sticks in my head about some "that first watt" stuff Mr. Pass speaks of, something like that could be going on here . They kind of make me think I should just suck it up and go forward with buying some Fostex's and build some boxes. Maybe if they end up being worth it I will build up a simple MLTL or Bass Reflex box.

Speaking of building with them, is there any simple way to figure out some specs on them? All I really have is meters and o-scopes, so I don't know what all I could actually do.

Cheers

James
Old 11th February 2009, 05:55 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JPeitzman
t these little buggers are kind of growing on me
Slap them in whatever is handy as an OB.... report back.

dave
Old 11th February 2009, 05:39 PM   #9
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Slap them in whatever is handy as an OB.... report back.

dave

That's what I would do... Get a 4' x 8' piece of 1/2" ply, cut it in half and mount one driver per, offset and see how they sound. Who knows, you might be surprised!

tomtt says the SD drivers are usually the high Q type. If that's the case with your 6.5" drivers, they should work well on OB's. Give it a try and see what happens.

And for goodness sakes, post some pics! LOL
Old 11th February 2009, 09:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Backside of the driver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0348.jpg (79.0 KB, 283 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!