The latest audioXpress

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yea, I submitted a fairly long article proposal that was intended to be a first part of a multi-part article. I was rather surprised when only a few weeks later he mailed me "proofs?" of the article for publishing. When I found out how much he offered, I didn't make any attempt to finish the following parts. It wasn't worth my time. I think he paid more for a big name author, but that didn't help me. I worked long hours to put that article together, and wasn't motivated to continue. My hat's off to those who contribute; but as others have said, I didn't find much of interest to read any more after the mags were combined.

I have never seen a DIY audio mag. Everything I have found was on the internet. In fact, without the internet I would never have attempted a DIY speaker project.

I have other interests, such as photography. I find that the internet provides more up to date information in more depth than any of the multitude of available magazines.

Publishing and distribution is expensive, so no way we can ignore the finances. With the internet people will be less willing to pay subscriptions for magazines unless they fill a gap that the internet does poorly (e.g. National Geographic). Many magazines have gone down the road of leaning out their content and pilling on paying advertising. This drives a vicious circle.

People don't like change, but let's look on the positive. The internet has significantly improved our world for DIY. This forum is a prime example. And there will be technology that makes it more pleasant to read electronic text coming available in the future - there is simply too huge a market for that not to happen.

Wow, that's opened up a Pandora's box !

:eek:

Trying to read into the underlying feelings , it looks like DIY paper magazines might not live long unless they change some policies.
Yes the Tablet reader might get refined and much lighter and portable than now. It might kill the paper editions. Good from the environment point of view ! ;)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
One of the consequences of a small journal is that there is only so much editorial space. If you write a 10-page article it is unlikely it is quickly accepted as it eats up a large part of the editorial space. A two-part article of 3 pages each has much more chance.

Also, if they just did two TL-speakers and you come up with another one, you probably have to wait. This is reality, even assuming that they feel the article is good.

The other thing is: try to think like the readers/editors. An article that needs extensive editing to 'pull it in' is not jumped upon either. I've had articles where they only had to change one or two words, and that's easy going for them, so your chances are higher. Another reality.

Finally, don't do it for the money, because you will be disappointed. Writing an article is hard work. You need to build a prototype, spend money on it, and revise and revise until you have a foolproof project that even a moron can build without blowing himself up. I exaggerate slightly, but it's an important issue. And don't assume that they are eagerly awaiting your article. Most beginning authors assume that unconciously, and then are disappointed if they don't get the red carpet reception. Don't be disappointed. Learn why your article isn't accepted, and do better next time.

Anybody can copy a design from any of the myriad sites, but original work gives infinitely more satisfaction. Your name in print. Go for it!

Edit: Elektor USA just started this January. They are looking for US-based authors for audio. I have a Group Buy thread here also for discount subs. Check out www.elektor.com .

Jan Didden

Originally posted by janneman

Finally, don't do it for the money, because you will be disappointed. Writing an article is hard work. You need to build a prototype, spend money on it, and revise and revise until you have a foolproof project that even a moron can build without blowing himself up. I exaggerate slightly, but it's an important issue. And don't assume that they are eagerly awaiting your article. Most beginning authors assume that unconciously, and then are disappointed if they don't get the red carpet reception. Don't be disappointed. Learn why your article isn't accepted, and do better next time.

Jan, I think you are right.

Originally posted by pooge

Do you know what he pays for articles? It is not worth the time spent (financially) unless you are trying to market yourself, or you are feeling very generous.

And, pooge, so are you; except:

Cons of publishing only on the internet:

- Well, it pays zero; so, whatever Ed pays is more than that.
- There is a lot of misinformation published on the net; so being published in AXpress has the imprimateur of an editor, i.e., it carries a certain guarantee of being worthwhile (FWTW).
- There is an audience out there that still isn't looking on the net for information; and (IMO) they have the potential for valuable feedback, which you won't get if you publish only on the net.

Pros of publishing only on the internet:

- No editorial interference. This is a two-edged sword, I think. People like Nelson and MJK produce thoughtful and well-edited articles to begin with, and probably don't need a lot of editorial oversight; but there are others who would benefit from good editing. Interestingly enough, there are a number of excellent writers - Nelson and Stuart Y. come to mind - who don't need the editorial assistance but who publish in AXpress anyway.
- Rapid dissemination and feedback: you put it up, you hear back from your readers, and you can incorporate corrections/changes accordingly within a short time period. OTOH, the audience (me, for example :angel: ) then sometimes miss the pleasure of reading and digesting an article, then later seeing a rebuttal and extension, which we can integrate at our leisure. An instance of this would be Earl Geddes recent response to Bjorn Kolbrek's horn theory articles.
The inestimable value of putting your views out, for no remuneration, and for any drunken sophomore to quarrel with using language that would make a stevedore blush. :D

Anyway, to sum up: because I myself have learned immense amounts [but see footnote] from AudioExpress and its predecessors, I am biased in their favour; and I am grateful to Ed Dell for what he has done for the hobby. But also, I think there are certain benefits to print media as opposed to the net (just as there are certain benefits to the net as opposed to blah blah blah); and I would be sorry to lose AudioExpress, which seems to me to be in a precariousl position partly because of this very discussion.

So this is just my wishful thinking that all of us who care about this obscure and hermetic hobby would get together and support those few who are putting time and effort into keeping it going.

My $0.02 (allowing for inflation).

Regards.

Aengus

(footnote: while it is true that I have learned immense amounts, it is also true that the universe holds an infinite measure of information; so that, no matter how much one knows, there is still an infinite amount to be known, and in that sense I am just as ignorant as when I started. So despite my claim of learnedness, you should none of you be surprised when I continue to ask stupid questions. :xeye: )

[edit] put in the quote from jan; after all, I wouldn't want him to think that "Jan, I think you are right" applied unconditionally. :D

The magazine reflects what you said about a hermetic and obscure hobby.

Compare aX with Cooks Illustrated. I don't make a lot of things in CI but after having a sub for a while I still read it at my local library. With CI I know I could make the dishes in there-- not so with a lot of the topics in aX.

I wrote to Ed about this but there was no response.

In the cooking mag., if they say butterfly cut a chicken, there is a sidebar with the technique. If they talk about brining, they say how brining breaks down proteins and makes things more tender.

And here's the point: they will show that butterfly technique with each new article that refers to it. They don't assume you've been reading the mag for 10 years. That's the tree house mentality: only the ones who are in the club need bother.

I also suggested that for crossover designs, they use three forms of illustration: schematic, drawing and photograph. Also to talk about how to hot melt an inductor etc. to a masonite substrate for installation into the final speaker box.

Needless to say, this was all a waste of their time. Mine too.

Hi Lon

I think these are excellent points, and your suggestions would certainly (once more, this is all IMO) improve the magazine; and I think no-one - probably not even Ed - would claim that it couldn't be improved.

That having been said: I know nothing about the AX operation (except that the lady who corresponds with me, when required, about orders from the Old Colony store is ever-civil and helpful). I suspect, though, that it is a very small operation and that the illustrations/sidebars you recommend may simply be beyond their time and/or ability limits. I'm not familiar with Cooks Illustrated, but I suspect they have a much larger circulation, and therefore larger budget, staff, etc. Of course, reading this thread makes it clear that if AX managed some of the changes discussed their circulation might grow - somewhat of a bootstrapping problem for them, I'd think.

Anyhow, I have no particular AX to grind here (sorry about that :D ), since I'm not involved in any way with them except as a reader. But as I said, I've learned from the AX publications, regard them benignly, and wish them well.

Regards.

Aengus

Another point about circulation outreach:

One said here he never heard of a a diy magazine for Audio.

Back when I was communicating with aX told them there is a retail chain here in Wisconsin with a whole bunch of stores and displays in supermarkets and big box places. These are stores which have full line books, magazines and some specialty products like walk in humidores for cigar heads and specialized children's section like
B&N.

They have the same return systems as other periodical sellers
where credit is given for unsold copies.

But aX still can only be found in Barnes and Noble. That's the only distribution pipe.

At the time I was enthused about the existence of aX myself and sought to see it grow. I also asked my library to shelve it with others like Nuts and Volts and Popular Electronics etc. But I frankly don't know how many of their mags are paid for as opposed to complimentary.

Maybe Klang and Ton should have an English edition.

We also know there is a significant interest base from the far East.

Unfortunately we in the West do not know much of the sort of niche publishing that goes on with this hobby there. Mr Witmer may know.

I made the pitch to Fine Woodworking as a specialty subject but they had no interest in it.

What's going on with that mag. that advertises at the bottom of the page? Elekron or something.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Elektor USA is the USA version of one of the world's largest electronics diy magazine. They used to have a UK version that you could get in the US but now there is a group buy here for just $34.95 1st year. I'm doing the group buy for them but you can just let me know if you'r interested and you'll get it.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1705692#post1705692

They are not specifically audio but have a sizeable audio component.They are expanding audio content and are looking for US based audio authors.
They also have their own lab so all projects are build and tested before publishing, and that's pretty unique in this world.
They published my paX amplifier last year and I had a lot of feedback.

They are at www.elektor.com

Jan Didden

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.