Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2009, 04:58 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default horizontal 1/2 stretched j-low

Hi -

Picture a J-Low speaker:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sma...-j-low-280289/

Now lay it down on its side. Chop off one of the horns, making it a single-horn design. Now make it taller (or wider, if it was still standing up), about 40 inches. Now move the driver up to about 32-36 inches above the floor. You have a "floorsquatter" that is 40 inches tall and about 40 inches wide. The horn mouth exits to the side of the driver.

I'm thinking about trying this out. By stretching the width/(now height) of the original design, the single mouth has an area of 1200 sq. in., as compared to the original double-mouth area of 1500 sq. inches. Length and expansion rate remain the same. I will try to keep the compression chamber volume approx. the same.

Comments? I'll try to get a drawing uploaded as soon as I draw one. Potential problem areas I see are the driver being so far from the centerline of the horn, and the double-to-single horn conversion.
Old 9th February 2009, 06:25 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

FWIW, I recommend maintaining the original J-low's dual mouths, only laying it on its side and 'squeezing' it up to get the driver up high enough between slotted mouths.

GM
Old 9th February 2009, 06:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi! If I squeeze the entire thing lengthwise, won't I be shortening the length of both horns? I would have to squeeze it nearly in half to get the width down to something manageable. I suppose I could compensate by increasing the depth, but that starts to really eat up floor space.

I've downloaded sections 7 and 8 on BLH design from MJK's website, I might try a fresh design as well. My original thought was that the speakers would have the horn mouths toward the center, with the drivers to the outside, giving me about a 7' spacing between drivers. The entire thing might be built as one unit, in-place.

If cabinet vibrations are sufficiently low, I'd use the top as a shelf for my audio gear. If bass output is too high (which I would expect it to be, given the size of my room), I'd store my LPs and/or children in the horn mouths.

Thanks!
Old 10th February 2009, 01:16 AM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

I must be missing something, I don't see why it needs to be any deeper since changing the width/height aspect ratio doesn't appear to change its effective path-length.

Anyway, doing a bit of 'napkin' math, the various measured specs bandied about dictate a ~100 Hz corner frequency, so what little horn loading that's required will mean a large cab if not corner loaded. Bottom line, the specs appear to be far enough off from published to require measuring yours before spending any quality time/$$ on a horn design.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!