Thoughts on Supravox 215-2000 EXC or PHY-HP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Scottmoose said:
You're not saying what you are going to do with them (?)

I'm interesting in hearing other people's experiences with them, and yes, if they can tell me what enclosures have worked for them, then that is a plus.

I want to know what they are capable of, mainly in terms of quality of sound, potentially. I don't really see how it matters what I'm planning to do with them. But I can tell you: I'll first try them in my 125L leaked enclosures (see signature). As far as the Supravox: it can be tuned through the voltage, plus I have a digital equalizer.

Well it matters because it has a bearing on what can be recommended. For all we knew, you might have been planning on using them solo, on a baffle -fine for the PHY units, not ideal for the Supravox. You might have wished to have them in a vented box, but also have practical considerations limiting the size -the latter unit will not need such a large Vb. And so on & so forth.

I've heard the Supravox field-coil & several of PHY's units, & can't really fault either of them for what they are. FWIW, the latter in my experience is a slightly more relaxed sounding unit -more 'vintage', in the best possible way, although that's not to say the Supravox is sharp, because it isn't. Detail is similar on both; well ahead of the lesser Supravox models & as good as anything Lowther put out, without taking your head off, as the British units can. Frankly, they're among my favourite FR / WR drivers. If I were wanting to go dipole, a very large (by modern standards) vented box, or something on the lines of Ocellia cabinets, the PHY would be my choice. If I wanted a smaller box, or even a horn of some description, I'd go with the Supravox. I generally try to think of drivers in terms of a speaker-system you see.

I use the 215Bs in open baffle , for me sound wonderfull , better then my scanspeak ,
for me is the better single for OB ie Qts

if you want a suggestion upgrade the elettronics , the supravox are a lot better

I can hear the change of one resistor on my system

Scottmoose said:
Well it matters because it has a bearing on what can be recommended. For all we knew, you might have been planning on using them solo, on a baffle -fine for the PHY units, not ideal for the Supravox. You might have wished to have them in a vented box, but also have practical considerations limiting the size -the latter unit will not need such a large Vb. And so on & so forth.

I've heard the Supravox field-coil & several of PHY's units, & can't really fault either of them for what they are. FWIW, the latter in my experience is a slightly more relaxed sounding unit -more 'vintage', in the best possible way, although that's not to say the Supravox is sharp, because it isn't. Detail is similar on both; well ahead of the lesser Supravox models & as good as anything Lowther put out, without taking your head off, as the British units can. Frankly, they're among my favourite FR / WR drivers. If I were wanting to go dipole, a very large (by modern standards) vented box, or something on the lines of Ocellia cabinets, the PHY would be my choice. If I wanted a smaller box, or even a horn of some description, I'd go with the Supravox. I generally try to think of drivers in terms of a speaker-system you see.

Thanks! This helps.

nicoch46 said:
I use the 215Bs in open baffle , for me sound wonderfull , better then my scanspeak ,
for me is the better single for OB ie Qts

if you want a suggestion upgrade the elettronics , the supravox are a lot better

I can hear the change of one resistor on my system

Can you describe your system a bit for me? I'm not familiar with the things in your signature.

my old system
Pedja TDA1541S2 nos one of the best nos dac (usb)
41hzTruepath one of the best digital amp
troels Gravensen -Ellam small but very good scanspeak driver

then I put the supravox ,a lot better no boxy sound very clean ,lost some HZ but rocks
the space info of OB and voice are incredible....
next I try used rega3 TurnTable with simple jfet phono (look Salas)
I see a big potential of vynil then dac, next on uk ebay I buy a top 10 year old TT and cartridge (new are 2800+1500€)

After this I never use a DAC!!!

next kit from erno borbely jfet phono (no caps on signal)
sound so good that I buy a amp kit from erno, class A . that delete my truepath

My supravox is still in place.....!!! ;)

I thinks 215 is too big without the helps of bicone , better go for 165, a lot cheaper ,with active helps on bass

put one small Pass amp on top.....

for fun try the OB with your supravox

i had 215 bicone. now using 215 EXC .
bicone slow, soft sounding, very romantic. good for movies. (need change internal wiring of stock supravox bahia)
now using 215ECX with my own power supply. battery is nogo.. too slow, syruply sounding. but good 3D.
215-EXC no need tweeter. if using good A klass amplifier like pass labs, ir tube amp then check your output linearity ,especialy if in Triode mode :) they tent to make -10 db at 20Khz.:) and all say supravox dont gave treble. need supertweter ... bla bla bla... first measure amp, then say supravox dont have good treble.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.