Frugel-Horn 2v0 - A diyAudio Reference Development Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a later version of MJK tools too(along with MatLab) but, per MJKs license agreement, I found I was technically only leasing them for a year. Since MJK will no longer extends the lease, my copy has expired. I understand why Martin no longer leases his worksheets as I've heard the story in many threads. He is certainly well within his rights, it's unfortunate I'm left with an unused copy of MatLab.

If the intent of this thread is to teach us how to design our own horns, it should be based on tools and techniques to which we all can get access. This would seem to rule out proprietary/ unavailable tools like Martin's. That's why I mentioned hornresp. Graph paper and pencils , my key hardware tools, are also widely available ;)

Just my 2cents.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dhenryp said:
it should be based on tools and techniques to which we all can get access. This would seem to rule out proprietary/ unavailable tools like Martin's.

We aren't going to compromise FH 2v0 by not using the best tools at our disposal. Hopefully after we get closer to the goal, we can get Martin & Ron Clarke involved to use their tools to optimize the design. Trying to fit what we are trying to do into the specified cabinet size is a challenge, and a set of compromises.

You have already produced one design based on horn-response to act as an example.... (thank you)

dave

PS: i think you should feel free to use Martin's tool. If you feel guilty send him more money, its worth it.

rjbond3rd said:
I love the profile. It has a certain ominous vibe. A dark knight.

OT a bit, but I just watched that movie the other day on Movie Channel - what a ride . It certainly makes the earlier Micheal Keaton essays like a high-school drama class project.

I agree with Dave that while the ease of build might be affected, 2v0 (and beyond) should not be constrained by any of the original version's design brief (remember what those were kids?).

My only caveat would be that if Martin and Ron can be enlisted, the design could be optimized to the point of restricting the selection of driver candidates? Having built and listened extensively to both the A126, a succession of variants of the original FH, and the Horn , that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If the goal is to have a group of forum members produce the "best possible" reference design then by all means you should use the best possible tools at your disposal. If the goal is to teach other folks how to design a horn it should be done with tools available to the students. Just an opinion - YRMV.

I would gladly pay Martin to renew the lease except he sent me a letter saying "your lease is up, stop using it" and now his website says he is no longer leasing. Martin - care to chime in?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.