Single Driver Site

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In case anyone hasn't noticed / hasn't run across it before, James has managed to get his site back up & running after a ~12 - 18 month hiatus, caused by some loathsome little reptile attacking things.

New address http://www.fullrangedriver.com/singledriver/

Some of it's a little dated now, esp. WRT TQWT design (strictly speaking conical horns) but it's still good to see it back again as there's some useful information there, plus, it still serves as a source of inspiration.

Flash from the past

'specially fun to revisit Terry Cain's original BIB project (heard a pair in 2001) and others that predate the application of Martin King & Ron Clark "evolutionary" work on 1/4 Wave and BLH designs that have certainly benefited the DIY community.

and some folks say there's been no significant developments in speaker design for a couple of generations

Aengus said:

Actually, I was thinking that this time I'd carve them out of a solid block. :D :bigeyes: :D

you mean like this?

hero3.jpg

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/boenicke/boenicke.html

As I read the review and manufacturer's website, this is not "layer-toned", but 2 clam-shells carved from laminated solid wood slabs.

no, our machine can't do that

Scottmoose said:
Crikey.

You beat me to it Chris -I was thinking they'd be a potential candiate for translam construction at least, at one heck of a material cost of course... ;)

and at a nominal charge out rate on our commercial CNC of $100/hr (really just to discourage the punters, but it does have significant operating overhead ), the machining time could dwarf the cost of many materials.

Wince.

Your mentioning Terry's pipes reminds me of something I ran across the other day, Chris. You heard the 168Sigma prototype at VSAC, right? The one he couldn't produce because Fostex discontinued the driver right about that time. Get this: Terry later discovered that one of the pipes somehow got it's binding posts inverted & was therefore wired up wrong at the show -result: they were 3db down in the LF on what they should have been producing. :cannotbe: Frightening.

Scottmoose said:
Crikey.

You beat me to it Chris -I was thinking they'd be a potential candiate for translam construction at least, at one heck of a material cost of course... ;)

The other issue is whether the "math is right" - a sheet or so of plywood is not too dear to gamble on a prototype, but this type of construction would have to change the enclosure's sonic signature (or lack thereof), in possibly undesirable ways (what's the opposite of synergistic in this context?)

Of course, that risks opening the Pandora's box of the "massive/inert" vs "light/stiff/fast" argument , and let's not go there today.

Scottmoose said:
Wince.

Your mentioning Terry's pipes reminds me of something I ran across the other day, Chris. You heard the 168Sigma prototype at VSAC, right? The one he couldn't produce because Fostex discontinued the driver right about that time.

that sounds about right

Get this: Terry later discovered that one of the pipes somehow got it's binding posts inverted & was therefore wired up wrong at the show -result: they were 3db down in the LF on what they should have been producing. :cannotbe: Frightening.

Wow is right - I don't remember hearing about that . It's crazy, because they were one of 3 speakers that impressed me the most at that show with their musicality, particularly considering that I heard them with a pair of George Wright model 45 triode amps. The others were Terry's BEN front mouth horns, and Steve Deckert's cute little Radials.

Terry's BIBs.

He ended up producing two sets of them, actually. One is in a local artist's house and is still making prodigious bass daily. It also turns out that the 168EZ (new production/curly cone) driver works well in the BIB cabinet. One reason that Terry never produced them was that he thought they were too "DIY," IE easily copied, imitated, or etc. to be a viable commercial speaker. Also, apparently some were not completely taken with their looks: I.E. too "DIY," homebrewed looking, etc.

Sure enough, I picked up where Terry left off by making them for a while. they sounded fantastic and appeared to "sell themselves," but as soon as people started thinking about putting them in their houses or planning the logistics of their next move, it was a no go. I sold only one pair of the prototype six inch model I made (which were ~6 feet tall): to a bass player :) no surprise.

The other BIBs I built with smaller drivers to greater levels of commercial and musical success because they were more like 4.5 feet tall and actually had a more tuneful and useable bass quality. Nothing is perfect though, and since the BIB, the smaller speakers have taken my attention making even more effective use of their size.

Re: the all solid wood speakers shown above, cool concept, but I hope those laminations are bulletproof to humidity unless they are travelling ground only...

-Clark

Re: Terry's BIBs.

blumenco said:
He ended up producing two sets of them, actually. One is in a local artist's house and is still making prodigious bass daily. It also turns out that the 168EZ (new production/curly cone) driver works well in the BIB cabinet. One reason that Terry never produced them was that he thought they were too "DIY," IE easily copied, imitated, or etc. to be a viable commercial speaker. Also, apparently some were not completely taken with their looks: I.E. too "DIY," homebrewed looking, etc...

as soon as people started thinking about putting them in their houses or planning the logistics of their next move, it was a no go. I sold only one pair of the prototype six inch model I made (which were ~6 feet tall): to a bass player :) no surprise.

Good to know that a pair of Terry's original 168 cabs are still in use. :) The 168ESigma is quite a popular choice for BIBs these days I believe, although it can be tuned lower than the preceeding 168Sigma, so a slightly longer horn can be used. Pity he didn't go ahead with a production version -I don't think the issues were insurmountable; aesthetics are a matter of taste, and given the quality of his cabinet work, he'd always have had that advantage over any possible imitators. I'm not sure the height is such an issue; the Abby is about that tall & still sells well I believe(?) I reckon it's more about the depth & monolithic shape which is less interesting than the triangular profile. Just guesswork on my part of course.

Re: the all solid wood speakers shown above, cool concept, but I hope those laminations are bulletproof to humidity unless they are travelling ground only...

Yeah -best not park them anywhere near a radiator either. :D :rolleyes:

>>> I reckon it's more about the depth & monolithic shape which is less interesting than the triangular profile. Just guesswork on my part of course.

My BIBs are in the listening room and my Straight Pipes are in the basement unused. The Straight Pipes have an elegance that makes them very attractive. But when i look at them i think they are something along the lines of half a BIB... Otherwise, they do look better than the rectangular BIB shape - BIBs are purposeful and functional. I bet TC would have created a very appealing slant on the BIB if he were around. When he came up with the oval opening on the Abby i thought that was clever, among other beautiful touches to his designs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.