Design feasibility

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been looking at the TB drivers recently and decided I want to try to build speakers. However, space is an issue so I am looking at smaller footprint bookshelf sizes or micro sizes. I am looking at 3 inch full range drivers. I was wondering if I could build a cabinet with a full range pointing out the front near the top, then a woofer on the bottom facing down. The speakers would be raised on feet about 1 inch off the hardwood table. Would i be able to do a speaker / subwoofer hybrid combo? Would I have to cut a hole in the back for better venting since the cabinet is probably pretty small?

Also, how does plexiglass work for speaker building?

thanks

I did some more research, I found a 3" full range speaker and a 5.25" woofer with the same volume requirements according to my research. what do you guys think?

They both require 0.16cu ft. do I have to double up the volume or can I keep it at 0.16. that is exactly the size i want to build

Also, how does plexiglass work for speaker building?
It splits and cracks very easily. It doesn't handle stress well. Simliar to glass in many aspects, but not as delicate. It has to be cut with fine blades at the right speed or it melts as it cuts. It helps to use masking tape at the cut line and pre-score with a utility knife blade.
It also scratchs easily.
Being a "pure" material vs wood products ( mix of fibers and glue ), acoustically they are very different.
I wouldn't use it unless it was for a "demo" visualization sort of thing.
( my opinion )

kristleifur said:

That's pretty interesting. An easy fix for what has excluded plexiglass from my material list until now ... thanks!

The trick works on CDs too (not recordables or DVDs, only regular music CDs or CD ROMs) but because the information is in the polycarbonate you're actually melting one side of it while trying not to meat the other side so you have to be very very careful about the amount of heat, and you should press it firmly against a completely flat metal surface like a frying pan when you do it. Test it on a CD you can't read because it's too scratched or one that you don't intend to keep anyways to get a handle on how much heat it needs. Naturally it doesn't work on deep scratches on CDs as that would require so much heat that information recorded in the polycarbonate would disappear as well.

I was more worried about the acoustic issues with the plexiglass rather than the actual cutting, I have a friend who cuts it for a living. Hm. so It seems I have to double the volume, I was hoping to keep it small, perhaps I should be using smaller drivers?
how do you think a 1 inch full range facing forward and a 3 in woofer would work?

I really doubt the effectiveness of a 1 inch full range driver.

If you go back to your original drive choice, since your complimenting the 3 inch full range with a woofer, you might not need as much volume for the 3 inch.

In which case, make a very small chamber for the 3 inch driver, and pack the crap out of it with fiber fill. This will reduce it's low frequency response, but you have a woofer to take care of that anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.