Free Harvey Bvr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built a pair of the Harvey BVR's nice speaker just not my cup of tea. , If anyone near Jax FL wants them i would trade them for 2 sheets of 3/4 birch plywood ,so that i can try another design .

Attachments

• leaky shop 292.jpg
    leaky shop 292.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 738
Harvey

The Amp Fi X 2A3 , the CD player Ah Tjobe, Mapleshade @ Kimber Kable , the room 16'x12'x10' with treatment, dedicated listing room. other speakers Hornshoppe Horns . I felt the Harveys sounded like a PA speaker very hollow sounding .experimented with damping in both the chamber and throat. drivers i used were Fostex 126e and Fostex 108 sigmas

Fair enough.

FWIW, I've personally heard a pair of Harveys built by Aengus MacIntosh that sounded underwhelming with the FE126, but very satisfactory with the FE127. This was in a much larger space than you've described, albeit with about 10dB more power than your Fi X 2A3.

By all accounts, the Saburo is a superior performer for the FE126E from the ScottMoose design catalog.

I can attest that the smaller Aiko from the same branch of the Spawn family works very well for the FE108E Sigma.

Anyway, good luck with your next project(s)...

chrisb said:
Fair enough.

FWIW, I've personally heard a pair of Harveys built by Aengus MacIntosh that sounded underwhelming with the FE126, but very satisfactory with the FE127. This was in a much larger space than you've described, albeit with about 10dB more power than your Fi X 2A3.

By all accounts, the Saburo is a superior performer for the FE126E from the ScottMoose design catalog.

I can attest that the smaller Aiko from the same branch of the Spawn family works very well for the FE108E Sigma.

Anyway, good luck with your next project(s)...

Chris: Do you have a link for the above mentioned Aiko?- can't seem to find it.
( my wife would say" Yup, same old thing,you never look"--!)
Thx.Don

harvey

No direspect intended But if the Harvey does not perform properly with the 126e why is it included in the graph ? also your notes state that this cabinet is suited for a widerange of 4"-5" drivers. this can be confusing for the DIYer who is not a designer.I am mearly an audio buff with some decent woodworking skills . I really like your designs and will probably build SABURO for the 126e and the Swan for the 108 sigmas.perhaps i will pick up a pair 127e considering the time invested in the Harvey and give them another try.

That primarily dates from the original incarnation (which was for the 126) & the 127 is noted on the current plans as being the prime driver, with others as options. It will certainly work with other units like the 126, but whether it will sound as it should is more questionable -for e.g. the 126 would probably prefer Vb to be reduced a little; what you describe sonically is consistant with that.

More generally, all the double horns are a little finicky about the damping applied & placement in the room; should you decide to try them with the 127, I suggest you either contact Aengus or possibly get some advice from Chis on the details of the damping / tweaking, as that was a very successful implementation & should be a good basis to work from.

doorman said:

Chris: Do you have a link for the above mentioned Aiko?- can't seem to find it.
( my wife would say" Yup, same old thing,you never look"--!)
Thx.Don

Buried on the Spawn plans page. Depending on how elaborate you care to get about the shape and mounting technique for supra-baffle, you might want to increase the size of opening on the enclosure itself.

Not shown on the drawing, but definitely recommended due to the height and width, would be some type of outrigger or wide mounting plinth - these can get very tippy on carpet.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FH/download/Aiko-1v1-plan-231208.pdf

The question has come up before, but I honestly don't know how many pairs have been built.

Originally posted by babgrip

I built a pair of the Harvey BVR's

Hi babgrip - nice looking build, sorry they're not meeting your sonic expectations.

Originally posted by Chrisb

with the Harveys, not Moray

Hey, Chris, you seem awfully confident that you know what we were tweaking.

But to stay on topic: I started off with the Harvey's, 126s, and pillow stuffing as fill: not good.

I ended up with 127s, and some heavy felt (about 3/4") on one sidewall and the bottom of what Scott has taught me not to call the compression chamber. ;) No damping in the throat at all. I regret that I didn't get any photos of this, but I think my recollection is accurate; Moray, if you're reading this thread do you remember it any differently?

Of course, I think they sound great since I built them; but the consensus among both my audiophile and my jazz friends is that they sound pretty decent. I should also point out that the 127s have Dave's (Planet10's) full treatment including EnABL; and if that isn't sufficient, I stole them from Dave's personal Fonkens, so they must be loaded with mana.

My Harvey build is here if you're interested.

And, if you do build the Aikos, please post: I've got a pair of 108s waiting for boxes, and the Aikos look very tempting (aside from not wanting to hide that beautiful maze inside the box - I keep fantasizing about glass sides).

Regards.

Aengus

Harvey

Wow your BVR's are a work of art compared to mine ,i have done pretty much the same damping as you,. must agree pillow stuffing is an absolute no no. Do not put anything in the throat. Guess i just have the wrong driver. ,for what its worth anybody considering building these speakers with the cut-outs all i can say is do it first .tried to post photo of orignal build but the file is to big.I have some 5/8 lexan ,been considering using it but i fear that it is to thin and will resonate

Attachments

• img_0455.jpg
    img_0455.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 397
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.