Free Harvey Bvr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
harvey

Sounded good enough that i slapped this together saturday just to be sure . as soon as i get some Baltic Birch i will start the building

Attachments

• img_0632.jpg
    img_0632.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 408
babgrip said:
I built a pair of the Harvey BVR's nice speaker just not my cup of tea. , If anyone near Jax FL wants them i would trade them for 2 sheets of 3/4 birch plywood ,so that i can try another design .

i bought the cabinets for $50 from ben and did a few minor mods before adding the dayton pa-130 driver.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-010

so this system cost me < $100. it looks pretty good and does a good job of reproducing the mid range frequencies. with the SW turned on, the bass is reinforced to the degree that it sounds to emanate from the Harveys.

i don't like it for HT sound one bit due to the amount of boost frequently used to make voices sound "sexy" or whatever the desired effect is. these speakers sound like megaphones with HT. they do sound very good for opera vocals and classical instruments. the effect seems to change to one of ambiance with these music sources.

so i plan to try a little "shade tree" experiment the next few days. i will incorporate the Harveys as mid range units into an EPI 200c speaker system, which is very nearly a FR unit in that a minimal crossover of a single cap is used to cross the tweeter over at about 2kc. the woofer rolls off naturally.

the 200c is a very sweet sounding system with good imaging and solid bass to 40 hz as tested unscientifically by the audio generator plugged into the receiver. this should be an interesting experiment.

free Harvey BVR update

after making a few tweaks, the Harveys sound quite good with the dayton pa-130 driver and the Shadow SW.

i found some damping material that is somewhere between cheap furnace filter and the poly fill readily available that helped quiet the barrel sound when stuffed in the top exit.

i might add a tweeter hanging from the top support just above the driver chamber. but for now this was a bargain <$100 speaker system! thanks Ben!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.