is there anything to help dried/old paper surrounds?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cal Weldon said:
Tom, what is the base solvent in rubber cement? I am wondering if he might want to cut it back a little before applying?

copy and paste from wiki -

Rubber cement is an adhesive made from elastic polymers (typically latex) mixed in a solvent such as acetone, hexane, heptane or benzene to keep them fluid enough to be used. This makes it part of the class of drying adhesives: as the solvents quickly evaporate, the "rubber" portion remains behind, forming a strong yet flexible bond. Often a small percentage of alcohol is added to the mix.

Formula

The formula for rubber cement varies according to its targeted application. Those commonly used in office and art applications are usually non-vulcanizing and seldom differ between brands. However, they have been reformulated over time due to concerns over the toxicity of the chemicals involved, especially in regard to its use by children. Consumer-grade products generally no longer contain benzene because of its link to certain cancers. Instead, they tend to be based on less toxic solvents such as n-hexane and n-heptane.

Rubber cement based on n-heptane is very popular and ubiquitous in the United States, but is generally unknown and unavailable as a consumer product in the UK and some parts of Europe, possibly due to the severe fire hazard of that formulation. A similar solvent based product called "Cow Gum" was common in the UK, but is no longer in production. Current solvent based options include Marabu-Fixogum and Platignum "Studio Gum" which are marketed in the UK and Europe.

note a difference here -

For tire patching, shoe repair, and other industrial applications, vulcanizing formulas are preferred. These contain chemical additives which enable them to cross-link and harden into a tougher, more resilient form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_cement

nearly idiot-proof treatment
It good to know that benzene is no longer used.
Still I'd be afraid about aggressive solvents and old brittle surrounds.
If the surrounds are not dirty or can be cleaned without further damage,
I would try a benign latex caulk, or a flexible fabric glue ( thinned ).

But like marchel said: replacement might be the best option.

HK26147 said:

It good to know that benzene is no longer used.
Still I'd be afraid about aggressive solvents and old brittle surrounds.
If the surrounds are not dirty or can be cleaned without further damage,
I would try a benign latex caulk, or a flexible fabric glue ( thinned ).

But like marchel said: replacement might be the best option.

how would you propose to replace an accordion pleated paper surround?

Foam or even synthetic rubber surround kits would most likely be available in an appropriate size, but very careful cutting would be required to remove the existing, damaged surround, and more importantly, the compliance and other characteristics could be significantly affected by the new material.

If the damaged area is accessible from both sides, why not try something like patching with a sandwich of rice paper and diluted Weldbond or puzzlecoat (PVA white glue), applied with Q-tips.

You could also check with someone who specializes in repairs and restoration to vintage drivers. They may be able to recommend materials for reconditioning /doping , or have alternate methods for repairing torn pleated surrounds.

http://www.thespeakershop.com/home/speakerrepair.html

how would you propose to replace an accordion pleated paper surround?
Ideally, from one of several sources that carries pleated surrounds.

You do raise an issue that I also wondered about - What are the differences ( if any ) from one vendor's surrounds/kits vs another.
How much influence does it have, since it is half the suspension system?
And I wonder if we as DIYer's put more thought/concern into it than the original manufacturers.
Unfortunately there are no soft/medium.stiff options, I know of.

The comment "very brittle" made me think ( that while it may have a small tear ) it would be like patched a sun cracked worn out tire - Fix one spot apply power and another tear appears.
Is the current compliance and resiliency ( of a a brittle surround ) anything like it was when new anyway?
A surround that is torn/not shot - I have ( as chrisb said ) used small pieces of tissue/wrapping paper and soft white ( fabric glue )

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
sometime in the past - I was given with small amount of "black goo" , supposedly original JBL one - for treating pleated surrounds ;

friend who gave me that ( he didn't show me original bottle , so I don't know what's commercial name of goo) was/is in speaker repair business , and he also treated tired and semi-worn (integrated )paper accordion surrounds with same thing .

Cal - once I asked for help - I need to soften surrounds on old Philips 12" spks ;
they're treated with another sort of black goo , which became hard with time , not soft and sticky like on most pro drivers ......

any advice ( I can't find old thread :bigeyes: ) ?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Woven cloth surrounds...interesting :cool: seems like there is nothing to loose...unless it actually works ok as it is

Light rubber coating sounds viable too

But really maybe just a little "fast-glue" or maybe rubber stuff on just the cracks will do :clown:

Actually looks like the backside of surround is treated :confused:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.