Conical Horn with Markaudio Alpair10 FR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Guilty

JC Fardo said:
Did you flush mount the driver. That 9mm flange are really thick
in my test enclosure they are not flush mounted, if you want to you'll probably want to make the baffle thicker than 18mm.. what I plan to do is add a 9mm sheet of nice looking wood to the baffle (and some thinner of the same on the rest of the cab)

Barnhouse said:
.... May mate with a sub for the very bottom end but am a bit anti-sub has never managed to get them to sound "real".
only the very bottom end is where you might want a sub, e.g. organ. so maybe x-over at 70Hz or so, or just make the sub 'come in' where Conic stops. in either case, some sort of DSP for the sub will greatly enhance yr chance of success. I have not tried any sub with them yet.

madawasca mike said:
I did wonder if Henkjan had any further refinements to recommend.
no further progress here either. clearing out some other projects first, I'm drowning in speakers (to quote my wife)

inching ahead

yes, the 190mm is outside width, assuming 18mm thick wood

Even dumber question than Barn's. Are the side pieces then mounted within/inside the 190mm front piece. Or another way to ask this is, what is the width of the internal slanting piece . It's either 190mm or 190 minus the 18mm x 2 side pieces.

Other wise I have the other pieces pieces all cut including the holes for the drivers and we will be in the shop in two weeks to assemble.

Conic horn built

Having committed to a pair of "Henkjan Horns" at the beginning of the year, I finally get round to building the things in mid-Nov.

Structurally complete (in MDF, veneering still to do) and playing music for about 5hrs now I thought I had better post a couple of early impressions and perhaps spur others into action.

A few qualifications on the builder/listener are probably in order - my first horn project, no experience with big£/$ kit, previous speakers were JX92s with a sub (both sealed).

Initial thoughts? Impressive. Everything I loved about the Jordan's (before little fingers poked the cones and damaged them!). Initial veil is starting to lift with break in and bass is coming on nicely.

I have a sneaky suspicion these will be winners.

I'm not an expert on horns, but I guess it depends on where the damping material is, if it is "volume damping", so in the middle of the box I would guess it is not a good alternative.

I found no problems with the wool type material, just a few staples of a little glue on the wall is usually enough to keep it in place.

My contribution: a slightly more detailed plan. I changed the measurements to inches and rounded when necessary. I hope they're close enough not to compromise the performance of the horn.

Attachments

• W5 conic horn internal.jpg
    W5 conic horn internal.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 633
  • W5 conic horn external dimensions.jpg
    W5 conic horn external dimensions.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 625
Ridiculus to say after so long but I finished these

I finished these after a long time lapse and I am happy with the result. We are not experienced with wood working and when other issues arose we put things on hold. But we got back to it and finished them. We faked it!!!!

Here are a few pics

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 226
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 213
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 139
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.