Fostex Fe126e in BR - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2009, 04:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fostex Fe126e in BR

Hey i know that the 126e is not "ideal" for a BR box,but i must say that I've always gotten good results from this driver in a 12liter solid pine box.

People complain that the 126e lacks bass in BR,but I don't think so compared to other single driver speakers I have heard,some of which with larger drivers.

A tweeter is definately not needed and with jazz, girl with guitar, and small scale classical music a sub is not needed either.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 4th February 2009, 02:50 AM   #2
chops is offline chops  United States
diyAudio Member

If you think they sound good now, you should get your hands on a pair of Planet10's fully tweaked out FE126eN drivers. It's a major improvement over the stock drivers.

Also, I'm glad you posted this thread. Besides me, you're the only other one that I know of that is using the FE126 driver in a non-horn loaded enclosure with great results.
Old 4th February 2009, 09:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, I also have a bunch of FE126E's in BR's for experimenting. Try 1 to 4 ohms of series resistance (resistor on the + terminal). Just for fun.
Old 4th February 2009, 11:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbond3rd
Hi guys, I also have a bunch of FE126E's in BR's for experimenting. Try 1 to 4 ohms of series resistance (resistor on the + terminal). Just for fun.

I really see no reason for SR myself, at least not with the modified drivers. I can't find a single thing wrong with them yet, and that's with every kind of music imaginable (or at least in my personal library). So far, they just do everything right with ease.

With stock drivers however, I would say a big, fat "yes" to SR.
Old 5th February 2009, 12:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

robert,
did you have resistors in either of those (with or without enable) you played @ my house last weekend?
and were the baskets grounded?

that painted one did work surprisingly well with that amp/sub combo i thought.
close to a 108, far from a factory driver in my opinion.
Old 5th February 2009, 12:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chops
If you think they sound good now, you should get your hands on a pair of Planet10's fully tweaked out FE126eN drivers. It's a major improvement over the stock drivers.

Also, I'm glad you posted this thread. Besides me, you're the only other one that I know of that is using the FE126 driver in a non-horn loaded enclosure with great results.

I thought about buying a pair from Planet10, but paying over $200.00 for a pair of 4.5" drivers turned me off. I may get a pair one day...do you think the improved performance really justifies the price?
Old 5th February 2009, 01:15 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chops I really see no reason for SR myself...
Bon sois Chops, that's cool. I'm tinkering with the response, just to horse around. Anyway, it sounds like you are already in the zone!

Quote:
Originally posted by serenechaos robert, did you have resistors in either of those (with or without enable) you played @ my house last weekend? and were the baskets grounded?
Howdy Robert, oh no, no resistance in those 127's. And no basket tweak but I will definitely try that when I upgrade my sad little soldering iron to the big-boy Weller I saw at your house!

Quote:
Originally posted by audiophile36 do you think the improved performance really justifies the price?
Yes, in my mind they are a bargain. I'm comparing not to the price of the stock driver but to the prices of what we see in the glossy hifi magazines, the stuff that costs more than my car. You might be able to hear them locally. (Your cab looks great -- nice grain!)
Old 5th February 2009, 01:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audiophile36

I thought about buying a pair from Planet10, but paying over $200.00 for a pair of 4.5" drivers turned me off. I may get a pair one day...do you think the improved performance really justifies the price?
That's what my thought was for a long time, but after giving in and purchasing the Planet10 modified drivers, YES, their improved performance more than justifies the price. They are certainly the best $200+ I have spent on audio thus far!

Quote:

Bon sois Chops, that's cool. I'm tinkering with the response, just to horse around. Anyway, it sounds like you are already in the zone!
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for experimenting to get the sound I want. However, in my current system and room, I can't find a single flaw in these little buggers that needs attention. They are that good.

Now my stock FE103E's are another story. I tried several different values of SR on them before settling on an actual BSC circuit for them, which got them sounding really good. I plan on sending those 103's to Dave one of these days so he can do his Planet10 magic on them as well.
Old 5th February 2009, 01:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Chops, if you're still using your cardboard cab, Robert (serenechaos) has a paper-mache Le Cleac'h that will kick it up a notch.
Old 5th February 2009, 01:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Chops, if you're still using your cardboard cab, Robert (serenechaos) has a paper-mache Le Cleac'h that will kick it up a notch.

Yep, still cardboard. Never thought cardboard could ever sound this good! LOL

Aren't those Le Cleac'h FLH's?

Hide this!Advertise here!