Full range monitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2009, 06:21 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Full range monitors

Hi guys,

My Event TR6 studio monitors are showing their age, so I think it is a good time for me to get some new speakers. These speakers will be used for producing electronic music, in a near field arrangement.

Would full range monitors and a sub woofer be suitable for this kind of application? I have read that FR drivers have trouble in the top end because they "rely on cone resonance to extend their range". Apparently this makes them unsuitable for studio monitor use, as it would make it hard to hear reverb etc. Is this true?

I would like the sub woofer to crossover at no higher than 100hz (80-90hz would be preferable). If they are ported, they must be front ported. Also, they must not be floor standing, so sizes up to that of an 8" studio monitor would be fine. Given these restrictions, what would be a good FR driver and design to use?

I have a budget of around $700AUD for the FR speakers and an amp. The amp will be about $200 or so. For reference to Australian prices:

Fostex FE127E $85
Fostex FX120 $199

Thanks
Old 29th January 2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

check out:

http://www.planet10-hifi.com/fonken.html

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Solo103.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 29th January 2009, 06:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I was about to replace my tannoys for near field monitoring and was tempted to try Dave's mini fonkens.....I don't see any problem with the top end.....

My timescales are fairly stretched as I have a heap of other stuff to do first but I'm certainly watching your endeavour with interest.

Ed

ps... I won't be entertaining any form of sub though, in my experience they add nothing but blur...
Old 29th January 2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'll start building my small Fonkens tomorrow, if I make any progress worth reporting I'll let you know !

I'm not concerned about obtaining really deep LF response from them because I plan to use a sub as part of an HT setup.

Thus, I don't share your pessimism over subs. I can't speak from experience, but I see no reason why you can't build a sub which performs well. There are plenty of people on this forum that I would trust to design such a sub.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 29th January 2009, 07:24 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Provided that your budget allowance for amp will procure enough power for the driver's sensitivity and anticipated SPLs, the CSS FR125 in the mini-onken enclosure would be a great candidate for a small monitor.

We have installed a 5.1 monitoring system for a local video/ film producer's in home mixing suite with this system.

Not the best quality photo, but shown on floor stands below:

Click the image to open in full size.

When built from plywood, these cabinets are light enough for wall mounting with appropriate brackets.

While I personally find the Fostex FE127 more emotionally satisfying, there's no doubt that some might describe its midrange presence and imaging as "euphonic" compared to the CSS, whose neutrality and extended LF response could be most beneficial in a near field monitor.

As for not being able to hear "reverb etc", with any decent FR driver, I doubt I'm alone in saying - "let's see the explanation of that". (and that's being polite)
Old 29th January 2009, 08:31 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by vitalstates
mini fonkens....
mFonken = milliFonken

Single full range drivers already have a place as nearfiled monitors... unlike the Auratones, both the mFonken and the small aperiodic FE125 are quite musical. Nearfield FRs don't suffer from the common problem inherent in 2-ways -- the lack of ability to get far enuff away for the midwoof & the tweeter to integrate.

Choice of which one if these is best suited might well come down to what amp you have.

dave
Old 30th January 2009, 12:00 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hey chrisb,

Those RCA cables look like they are glowing!
Do they come from Yoda at Jedi audio?

Cheers,

Alex
Old 30th January 2009, 04:37 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex from Oz
Hey chrisb,

Those RCA cables look like they are glowing!
Do they come from Yoda at Jedi audio?

Cheers,

Alex

Dave's picture - I didn't attend this particular event, so I can't explain the artifact - I think they were playing some MMEB.
Old 30th January 2009, 05:01 PM   #9
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Must be some 'o' them big electrons flowing. Another reason to use big wire.
Old 30th January 2009, 05:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've warned you guys before about using fancy materials in cables. You will now have to stay in at break and write out the following 100 times

'I must not use plutonium for my speaker wire.'

Hide this!Advertise here!