Extreme BIB cabinet EnABL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Originally posted by VictoriaGuy

Have any of the 'believers' participated in a true double blind listening test where untreated and eNabled drivers were compared?

Short answer: I don't know. Longer answer: I have participated in what (as I keep pointing out) was technically a single-blind test, since the person who set it up knew which speaker was which. However, I was the only person in the room when I conducted the test, so it was effectively double-blind: description here.

I would add, I don't feel like a cardboard cutout, but then who knows what a cardboard cutout feels like. :xeye:

Regards.

Aengus

Aengus-
Interesting stuff. It's not altogether clear to me where the eNable process starts and Planet10's cone 'pre-treatment' and other magic (treating basket, back of magnet, etc.) ends. If the only difference between the drivers was eNabling in its very precise geometric pattern, then that's quite a convincing demonstration.
I assume the towels were precisely matched as well.... :)
Thanks for the link to your thread.
John

G'day VictoriaGuy,

The information for treating drivers can be found in the EnABL - Listening impressions & techniques thread.

Some useful information regarding the planet10 treatment can be found here.
If you are keen to EnABL your drivers, have a look at Ed LaFontaine's EnABL kit.

The focus of this thread is applying EnABL to speakers cabinets - which is quite different to the process used on drivers.
Baffle EnABL is a great way to start because it's effective, completely reversible AND you don't need to modify your drivers - although you will want to once you hear what EnABL can do.

Once very important point - cabinet EnABL by itself can get you 70-80% of the EnABL effect.
Driver EnABL gives you something special that you just can't get with cabinet EnABL only.
When you utilise BOTH it takes your system to a level of audio reproduction that you would never have thought possible - have a look here and then read this.

Cheers,

Alex

Victoria Guy -

If you're interested, I have no doubt that listening test(s) can be arranged in your local area. It could be left up to you to specify and organize the technical aspects.

Over the course of over 40yrs, including approx a decade in retail audio, and more recently the crazy world of DIY audio amateur fests and regional shows, I've participated in a range of listening "situations" to all kinds of gear and accessories, none of which would likely meet anyone's definition of "rigorously controlled double bind", etc. (most notably during the 70's & 80's afterhours sessions, where we certainly put the High in our fi )

VictoriaGuy said:

Similar question: Have any of the 'believers' participated in a true double blind listening test where untreated and eNabled drivers were compared?
I played with this yesterday.
used a untreated and a eNabled 127, and an untreated 108.
everyone could tell different drivers were playing, as far as I remember, everytime.
the subjective "what's better, what do you like part" was different.
the untreated 127 came in last, by everyone, everytime.
opinions varied on the 108, even by the same listener.
eNabled definitely sounded "different" though, even if it was subtle and could be discerned.
another "thing" we played with wasn't so subtle...

serenechaos said:

as Phil said: I think that is something to do with the world bowling championship?
I don't even own one of those tv things,
all my vacuum tubes go in amps...

much less know (or care) who won the bowling game.

and you call yourself an "merican"? ;)

but seriously, mr chaos, could you elaborate a bit on the tapped sub design? With all the cross thread chattering, it's easy for us old farts to lose track.

G'day Matias,

It's easiest to use metric.
The calculator simply works out the block size based on the measurements you put in.
If you use inches, then you would have to input it as a decimal number (eg. 3/4" = 0.75, 1/8" = 0.125 etc) and then convert the decimal for the block size back to imperial.

Cheers,

Alex

Hello one and all, I was trying to come up with a quick and easy way to apply the pattern to my internal panels and was thinking of making a template out of thin cardboard or suitable material, cutting out the pattern and then using drywall plaster and a putty knife and do the pattern on my internal panels this way.
Does this seem like a good idea?
-andré-

G'day andré,

A stencil is an idea I have had for some time.
I haven't tried dry wall plaster but it would be faster and easier to cover large panels.
However you do it, do try and keep the edges of the blocks as clean and sharp as possible.

Other than that, let us know how it goes and how it sounds. :)

For baffle and external edges
- enter 18 block pairs
- enter 4 x baffle width as the circumference.
The calculator with give you the ideal block size for the baffle and all external edges.

For the internal block size
- enter 18 block pairs
- enter 4 x internal cabinet width as the circumference.

Wait...
On the calculator the circumference of the baffle is also referred to as the perimeter of the baffle. The perimeter is 2 x width + 2 x height. This is not necessarily equal to 4 x width, as quoted, unless the baffle is a square. So which is it? 4 x width or the actual geometric perimeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.