Extreme BIB cabinet EnABL - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2009, 03:49 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rjbond3rd
Hi guys, newbie question: have any of the (currently) skeptical folks heard EnABL?
Similar question: Have any of the 'believers' participated in a true double blind listening test where untreated and eNabled drivers were compared?
Old 2nd February 2009, 04:02 AM   #22
zBuff is offline zBuff  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VictoriaGuy

Similar question: Have any of the 'believers' participated in a true double blind listening test where untreated and eNabled drivers were compared?
I'd quite happily submit to a double blind listening test of eNabled drivers, the differences aren't even close to subtle. They are quite dramatic IMO.
Old 2nd February 2009, 04:19 AM   #23
Aengus is offline Aengus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Have any of the 'believers' participated in a true double blind listening test where untreated and eNabled drivers were compared?
Short answer: I don't know. Longer answer: I have participated in what (as I keep pointing out) was technically a single-blind test, since the person who set it up knew which speaker was which. However, I was the only person in the room when I conducted the test, so it was effectively double-blind: description here.

I would add, I don't feel like a cardboard cutout, but then who knows what a cardboard cutout feels like.

Regards.

Aengus
Old 2nd February 2009, 04:48 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Aengus-
Interesting stuff. It's not altogether clear to me where the eNable process starts and Planet10's cone 'pre-treatment' and other magic (treating basket, back of magnet, etc.) ends. If the only difference between the drivers was eNabling in its very precise geometric pattern, then that's quite a convincing demonstration.
I assume the towels were precisely matched as well....
Thanks for the link to your thread.
John
Old 2nd February 2009, 07:28 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

G'day VictoriaGuy,

The information for treating drivers can be found in the EnABL - Listening impressions & techniques thread.

Some useful information regarding the planet10 treatment can be found here.
If you are keen to EnABL your drivers, have a look at Ed LaFontaine's EnABL kit.

The focus of this thread is applying EnABL to speakers cabinets - which is quite different to the process used on drivers.
Baffle EnABL is a great way to start because it's effective, completely reversible AND you don't need to modify your drivers - although you will want to once you hear what EnABL can do.

Once very important point - cabinet EnABL by itself can get you 70-80% of the EnABL effect.
Driver EnABL gives you something special that you just can't get with cabinet EnABL only.
When you utilise BOTH it takes your system to a level of audio reproduction that you would never have thought possible - have a look here and then read this.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 2nd February 2009, 03:49 PM   #26
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Victoria Guy -

If you're interested, I have no doubt that listening test(s) can be arranged in your local area. It could be left up to you to specify and organize the technical aspects.

Over the course of over 40yrs, including approx a decade in retail audio, and more recently the crazy world of DIY audio amateur fests and regional shows, I've participated in a range of listening "situations" to all kinds of gear and accessories, none of which would likely meet anyone's definition of "rigorously controlled double bind", etc. (most notably during the 70's & 80's afterhours sessions, where we certainly put the High in our fi )
Old 2nd February 2009, 04:50 PM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
If you're interested, I have no doubt that listening test(s) can be arranged in your local area.
John,

Life has been hectic (so what else is new ), and Chris & i hven't made it over to your place. When are you headed back east again?

dave
Old 2nd February 2009, 05:01 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Everybody: sorry about hijacking the thread! Back to your scheduled programming.

Dave: Email sent.

Cheers
John
Old 2nd February 2009, 05:10 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I played with this yesterday.
used a untreated and a eNabled 127, and an untreated 108.
everyone could tell different drivers were playing, as far as I remember, everytime.
the subjective "what's better, what do you like part" was different.
the untreated 127 came in last, by everyone, everytime.
opinions varied on the 108, even by the same listener.
eNabled definitely sounded "different" though, even if it was subtle and could be discerned.
another "thing" we played with wasn't so subtle...
Old 2nd February 2009, 05:19 PM   #30
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serenechaos

another "thing" we played with wasn't so subtle...

we're waiting ......

Hide this!Advertise here!