Extreme BIB cabinet EnABL - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2013, 06:25 AM   #161
tilroh is offline tilroh  Australia
diyAudio Member

found that WRT means "With Regard To".

Still working on XO and BW.... Cross Over? Back Wave?
Old 15th June 2013, 06:55 AM   #162
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm suggesting that short of doing frequency response measurements, then rather than just making it smaller, experiment with different sizes to find the one that best mates [blends] the driver's forward output to its rear output without any obvious peak or dip in the lower mids response.

WRT = with regard to/with reference to
XO = crossover
BW = band-width

GM
Old 17th June 2013, 02:47 AM   #163
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex from Oz View Post
G'day Mack,

-----
With the supra baffles, don't chop them just yet. Give me the diameter across the front where it is flat ie. not including the round over.

Cheers,

Alex
I did not chop my BIB baffles, just painted them red and recessed the drivers flush which surprisingly made a difference in sound.

I'm up for EnABLing now. I found patterns for different speakers but none for round baffles. Baffles are 34cm wide before the round off starts.

Thanks, Mack
Old 12th October 2013, 09:04 PM   #164
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
'Round' is the worst shape since it has a theoretically infinite number of eigenmodes and why you see horns with either huge round-overs or covered with open cell foam to deal with them.

WRT baffle size, ideally it's just large enough to smooth the transition through the speaker's acoustical XO BW, so normally either has to be arrived at by measurement or empirically. Don't know if any software can sim it.

GM
If I've got the worse, then anything would be an improvement. I had a couple of wave guide blanks left over after building a pair of Bob Brines MTLTs. I found some spray paint on sale and went to work.

Before:
Click the image to open in full size.

After:

The ellipses are rounded over from the driver outward. The FE166 drivers are less beamy - I don't have to sit in the middle of the sofa and cocking my head makes less of a difference.

There is much less of the occasional harshness that hurts my ears on a certain frequency.

I've got new speakers again. Thanks GM, thanks Bob.

Cheers, Mack

BTW, the white bits on the red sound wave concentrators is double sided tape that was used to hold up foam and carpet padding to try and tame the harshness. I couldn't hear that the padding made much difference. I couldn't get the tape off so decided it was just thick EnABLing : )
Old 12th October 2013, 11:32 PM   #165
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
I'm suggesting that short of doing frequency response measurements, then rather than just making it smaller, experiment with different sizes to find the one that best mates [blends] the driver's forward output to its rear output without any obvious peak or dip in the lower mids response.

WRT = with regard to/with reference to
XO = crossover
BW = band-width

GM
What does GM stand for then?
Gentle Master?
Gigantic Monster?
Grumphy Matron?
General Magic?
Old 12th October 2013, 11:38 PM   #166
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member