Extreme BIB cabinet EnABL - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2013, 04:11 PM   #111
B00B00 is online now B00B00  Canada
diyAudio Member

This is only my 3rd build and have a lot to learn. I am quite comfortable listening to the advice and wisdom of others. I will give it a light coat of polyurethane.

Plexiglass is definitely the way to go. I was able to finish the template in under 2 hours and now having figured out how to best work with the material could probably shave off 30 minutes.
Click the image to open in full size.
For those thinking of making a template here are a few things I learned along the way.
  • Trace out pattern on graph paper, glue it to plexiglass
  • Use a sharp exacto
  • place old cardboard box underneath to allow blade to complete go through material.
  • Use short saw-like motion to make precise cuts and not go beyond cut lines.
  • The verdict is still out on if you make one pass for all vertical cuts and one pass for all horizontal cuts. It may be quicker to make all cuts in one go.

The pattern clogs much less, I washed it down once per panel, the rectangles are better defined and have crisper edges. In addition the tools seem to glide over it better than the laminated bristol-board.

I knocked off 4 of these 15.5in x 76in side panels in about an hour twenty minutes. I can't see myself doing that with tape in that amount of time.

Only have the dividers to go and I can glue them up.
-andré-
Old 5th February 2013, 05:30 PM   #112
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice job with the template! Looks very good.
Old 5th February 2013, 09:14 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

G'day andré,

Fantastic work on the template. The blocks look much sharper too. I always found the EnABL pattern en masse to be rather hypnotic...
Definitely faster the cutting and applying blocks made of tape.
Well done!

Cheers,

Alex
Old 11th February 2013, 02:14 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Ha! Well, once again, life has a way to get in the way of life. Haven't been able to do too much speaker building as of late as kiddyroo was ill. Much better now. I now know more than I care about abdominal migraines... Didn't even know the condition existed. This being said, on the mend now so all is good.

Last two panels nearly done.

And a whole plethora of ENABLE Goodness.. (Pattern not crooked, two panels side by side)
The kind of thing pattern that could trigger a migraine or a seizure (so says my significant other...) Who is very supportive of speaker building mind you.
*Note must incorporate plant holders into next design.

If all goes well, I start to glue the cabinets together tonight.

-andré-
Old 11th February 2013, 08:21 PM   #115
diyAudio Member

G'day andré,

Sorry to hear you're had illness in the family. Life interruptions are there to remind us about what's really important.
I agree with your significant other - the pattern does stuff to your mind.
Looking forward to your listening impressions once you get them built.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 11th February 2013, 11:54 PM   #116
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

BOO, may I strongly suggest that you use an acrylic plastic industrial grade floor wax rather than the polyester resin? If you have already applied the resin I would still recommend a coating of floor wax (the Gloss material in Ed's kits is exactly that, according to the re-bottler micro scale, who purchase it in 55 gallon drums) In addition, great idea!

X, if I may also, thank you for your open minded approach! I would like to present these utube snippets as a pictorial of Navier-Stokes on vibrating surfaces.

resonance - YouTube
resonance2 - YouTube
resonance4 - YouTube
resonance3 - YouTube

And then I would like to read any thoughts you may have about the emissivity character of the lateral flow in the first snippet. Be sure to turn up the volume, the discourse is a delight.

We have some wavelet analysis that shows an untreated driver with a clearly recurring pattern within a 4 ms window and an EnaBL'd driver that shows a lack of that event. Move your pointer off and on the pic to see a blink comparison of the two here.

Enable Tests

There is an argument of sorts about which should have "clearer" transients, with my point of view being that humans would experience the treated drivers lack of strongly reprinted emission as a single strike with decaying low level harmonious structures. This indicating that it is a perceptual phenomena, as opposed to one that a test result would show as superior.

Bud

Last edited by BudP; 11th February 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12th February 2013, 01:59 AM   #117
diyAudio Member

G'day Bud,

Good to have you back in here with us.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 12th February 2013, 01:34 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Hi Bud, thank you for your advice.
Can I use Future floor wax as I've seen it used in the same manner as the MicroScale product?
I came across it on a model airplane website.
Is it essentially the same thing?
F-15E Strike Eagle.com - How to use 'Future' Floor Wax
Easier to find than Micro scale (unless someone has a good source for it in Québec)

Thank you,
André
Old 12th February 2013, 08:41 PM   #119
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Andre,

From what information I have this is the Gloss product. I haven't used it on speakers, since I have a large amount of Gloss from MicroScale and the fragrance covers over whatever the natural odor might be. I see no reason not to use it, but test it out on a chunk of dried block material before coating your panels with it.

Bud
Old 13th February 2013, 01:54 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Brillant thanks Bud,

Last night's progress... removing enable pattern where divider is positioned.

-andré-

Hide this!Advertise here!