Extreme BIB cabinet EnABL - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2013, 06:08 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledog View Post
The treatment was not applied to the grill. It was applied to the cabinet and then the grills put back on, which covered up the pattern. This did diminish the enabl's effect slightly, since at some points the grills frame was over the pattern.
The enabl pattern was done with electrical tape, and a guide used to apply the tape blocks evenly. During the process I began doubting it because it seemed so dumb. Tape blocks changing how the speaker sounds. But I didn't want to discredit it till I tried it.
As to the sample size stuff... sure my test is not good enough if my goal was to eventually market it or something like that. But for my personal use, in my own home, by me, what I hear ultimately is all that really matters. My father's testimony just validates that I'm not crazy.
G'day Dumbledog,

Great to see you trying this madness in spite of your initial doubts.
Getting confirmation of the audible changes from someone who is unaware of what you have done just adds to the excitement. Looking forward to your comments when the other speaker is treated.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:12 PM   #102
diyAudio Moderator

Posts containing political views are not allowed here. Offending posts removed. PM sent to offender.
Old 4th February 2013, 01:13 PM   #103
B00B00 is offline B00B00  Canada
diyAudio Member

Progress from the weekend..
Didn't get as much done as I thought I would.
Sometimes real life gets in the way of speaker-building.
Whould'a thunk?

Relaminated (glued back together) my template and¸
got the insides of the baffle done and scraped off some of the squares
I wasn't happy from the other day. The plaster adheres well to the rough wood.
(The white smearing you see isn't plaster but silicone where I sealed up nail holes and cracks in the wood.)
Click the image to open in full size.

That being said, I could tell my template wasn't going to hold up much longer so I went to a local craft shop and picked up some thin plexiglass.
Glued another template to it and am cutting out rectangles again.
This will be considerable sturdier and has the advantage of being able to withstand being washed down with a sponge.
You need to to this about every other application as after a while the rectangles start clogging up with plaster as it dries out.

I would say Alex that the plexiglass is in around .4mm thick, (I'll see if I can get my Vernier calipers on it) after dry-down the plaster is probably around .3mm or so I'm guessing. The other template was maybe a little thicker as it was Bristol-board that was plastified.

Cheers,
-andre-

Last edited by B00B00; 4th February 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 4th February 2013, 01:17 PM   #104
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice work Andre. How is cutting that thin plexiglass? Looking forward to your BIB sound impressions.
Old 4th February 2013, 01:31 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Thanks, a bit more work cutting the plexiglass...
Started by looking at what I had to making a die, and didn't really have anything.
Then used a sharp chisel for the 1cm cuts but didn't find it any faster than the exacto.
All .5cm cuts are done, presently working on 1cm cuts.
Old 4th February 2013, 02:37 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

with that many, would this not run the risk of adding to baffle step gain, as each 'dot' might be big enough to provide enough of an edge to be a point source?
Old 4th February 2013, 03:02 PM   #107
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Plaster dots are applied inside the enclosure i think.
Old 4th February 2013, 07:54 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

G'day andré,

Excellent work! The plexiglass is a great idea.
Do you plan to leave the internals raw? I'm wondering if it might be worth considering giving it a thin coat of paint or varnish before you glue them up.
This would seal the blocks and also give a smooth surface over the wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
with that many, would this not run the risk of adding to baffle step gain, as each 'dot' might be big enough to provide enough of an edge to be a point source?
Yes, these blocks are for the inside panels. Post #1 has the drawings for baffle treatment.
I did try a similar approach with the baffles to see what would happen. The sound from the baffle become overemphasised and did appear to become a source of it's own - sounded horrible. For my ears, the edge treatment for baffles produced the most natural sounding results.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 4th February 2013, 08:20 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

Hi Alex,

I can give them a thin coat if you think this is desirable, I would be worried that this would make the cabinet livelier and add to resonances but you have more experience in this matter; if you think it's a good idea, I will do so.

-a-
Old 4th February 2013, 10:21 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

G'day andré,

Painting the inside will make the cabinet 'less lossy' for sure and therefore more efficient and lively. Stuffing and strategic placement of sound absorbent material on the internal panels if needed should allow you to get the sound you want. In the main BIB thread, some even recommend hanging a pennant made of felt inside to tame unwanted high frequencies.

If the thought of painting makes you uncomfortable, don't do it.

Cheers,

Alex

Hide this!Advertise here!