Best solution to missing B200 bottom end - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2009, 08:19 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tea-Bag
Dave, I would like to see attachement, I dont see.
oops...

Quote:
16' wide baffles? Do you listen in a air craft hanger?
This happened at one of the annual VI diyFESTs... the OB "room" is outside on the apron of the "double garage" with listeners sitting out in the driveway. There may be pictures buried in one of the diyFEST threads.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg omnes8-ob.jpg (66.5 KB, 509 views)
Old 26th January 2009, 09:47 PM   #12
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Looks like fun

But doesnt look like 16 feet to me...one (dot) is feet, and two (dots) is inches, as far as I know

Man, why cant you guys just use "mm, cm, M, km", like the rest of us...miles ? thats either jazz or surfing on water

In the old days a shipbuilder should handle "danish feet", "norwegian feet", "english feet" and "american feet"...all different from each other
Old 26th January 2009, 10:11 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
But doesnt look like 16 feet to me...one (dot) is feet, and two (dots) is inches, as far as I know
Not that picture... we had those set up on the apron with plywood sheets filling up in between and extending out the sides... total width was ~ 16'/5m

dave
Old 26th January 2009, 10:32 PM   #14
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Dr Watson at your service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_5609.jpg (67.6 KB, 480 views)
Old 26th January 2009, 10:34 PM   #15
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Are these the drivers? I notice the custom phase plug.

EDIT: Never mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_5613.jpg (37.8 KB, 438 views)
Old 26th January 2009, 10:38 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
Dr Watson at your service.
Thanx Cal... that is the baffle picture. those drivers are the rare Korean Sound of Music alnico 6.5", but we did have another couple drivers in the same baffles at varous points (note the hi-tech green masking tape, driver sub-baffle fixing method).

You'll also see where Steve Deckert got the idea of using a tube as a phase plug (i have proper wooden ones now)

dave
Old 26th January 2009, 11:49 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I already have Dave's phase plugs, though I can not comment on the "before" sound I find the current sound quality to be quite good for a full range driver. I actually have no real qualms with these drivers...except the striking lack of lower midrange. I know there is more than just 6db separating the lowest and highest output of the B200 FR but I'm just going to focus on the lower midrange since that is what bothers me the most. I have a huge 15" woofer I used in another OB project but I never felt the integration was very good going from a light weight 8" driver to a massive 15" woofer. I have these Visatons mounted in a 13"x45" baffle with 14" wings. I find the low end to be completely lacking though. I still have an 8" Silver Flute mounted in an OB so Maybe I'll do some experiments with it along side the B200's.
Old 27th January 2009, 07:59 AM   #18
Piek is offline Piek  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Omce i got phase pugs in B200 i had no real issues with them (1.2 x 1.1 m OB, pic attached currently sans B200). Before that they were either hot (on axis) or you were wondering what tweeter (off axis).

Hi Dave,

while I respect your listening impressions and effort, I expect slight changes with a small Phaseplug at about two octaves from my experience with other drivers, did the plug affect the "problems" earlier (say 1KHz and up) too, any measurements available? Visaton engineers said they experiemented with and without dustcap and said you better not touch it.

-Micha
Old 27th January 2009, 08:25 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Piek
while I respect your listening impressions and effort, I expect slight changes with a small Phaseplug at about two octaves from my experience with other drivers, did the plug affect the "problems" earlier (say 1KHz and up) too, any measurements available? Visaton engineers said they experiemented with and without dustcap and said you better not touch it.
In my room and on my baffles i didn't have issue with the rising response shown in the graphs and that a some claim (with or without plugs). The top was laserlike thou. Too hot on the top on axis (could be interperated as not enuff bass), and fell off very rapidly as you moved off axis. The phase plugs made a very significant difference in the top end, dramatically increasing the sweet spot... changing the top end from laser like to fairly wide dispersion will flatten the on-axis response.

BTW measured efficiency of the B200s i had (n=8) was 91.5 dB 1w/1m. This is totally consistent with thepower we needed to get them to the levels we used (before efficiency was confirmed by measure)

The Visaton engineers can bring a set by anytime and i'll demonstrate.

dave
Old 27th January 2009, 08:40 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

maybe this link should have been mentioned and/or acknowledged earlier

http://www.iol.ie/~waltonaudio/ob.html

Ed

Hide this!Advertise here!