V8 Fonken design ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
planet10 said:
But that is the sim for a regular port... it doesn't show the flattening of the peak, the extra extension, and the slower rolloff caused by the high aspect slot port, or room gain. A better indicator is the middle of the saddle in the impedance curve.

dave

Or real world, in-room measurements or (even better) listening tests. The former we've not done yet with the mFonkens, but the latter we certainly have - and these little guys sound bigger / smoother than their size would predict .

It was always going to be a case of 'the proof is in the pudding' so hopefully in a week (or more) time I'll have something resembling a pair of small Fonken's breaking-in on the end of my amplifier.

Eventually I'm going to be looking to learn about what sub (driver/box) will be a good match with these Fonkens ?

Bigun said:
It was always going to be a case of 'the proof is in the pudding' so hopefully in a week (or more) time I'll have something resembling a pair of small Fonken's breaking-in on the end of my amplifier.

yup, the proof is in the consumption - our sensory perceptions can be observed by advanced FMRI, but are still a bit more complicated than current math can emulate

Eventually I'm going to be looking to learn about what sub (driver/box) will be a good match with these Fonkens ?

We've been playing with these little bug-gers for a couple of years now, Dave already has a couple of designs that integrate quite well, provided you're able to bi-amp.

Bigun said:
so you're not looking at powered sub-woofer then ?

Crossing over as low as circa 100 to has high as 300 for designs with smaller mid/uppers, we've been inclined to dual woofers -( technically not really subs ), which can also be incorporated to act as stands. At the higher end of that range, you've well passed the threshold at which directionality can be heard, and even though there are many LF drivers that could move adequate air with a single enclosure, imaging will likely suffer.

Another issue with powered woofers is that while the amp stages of the reasonably priced "plates" are decent enough, the quality of XO are frequently inferior, and may include more functionality than necessary for a dedicated combination of drivers. Provided adequate power for the woofer's sensitivity, ultimate quality of the amp for this application is probably less significant that the XO, which in a dedicated system can be as simple as a PLLXO.

Plate amps also require more volume, and dictate the minimum width of enclosure, which might conflict with the design aesthetic. This was definitely the case with the "FonkenWoof" ( dual CSS SDX-7) and "Tysen" active 2-way (Fostex FF85K and single SDX7).

I hadn't considered the FonkenWoof approach but it sounds like I should give it some consideration. I was expecting to cross over the front Fonken's and the rear mFonken's low enough that there would only be a need for a sub - i.e. the XO would be around 90Hz so the sub only had to deal with non-directional frequencies (80Hz and below).

I see two choices:

a) A 3-way system (Fonkens at front, mFonkens at rear) + (FonkenWoofer stands at front) + (subwoofer). The sub only has to deal with the real LF, the woofers match the Fonken's to the sub.

b) A 2-way system (Fonkens at front, mFonkens at rear) + (subwoofer). The sub has to reach up to where the mFonken's leave off, but I don't need the expense and complexity of the 3-way.

It's way too easy to over-think and complicate these things, and as I said, I long ago gave up on the whole multichannel surround thing for watching video.

Last I read, THX had advanced the idea of 10.2 ( twice as good as 5.1 - no kidding). My rig is stereo from the Motorola HD cable box to a little SS amp to the single driver speakers (Brynn w HA4.5)

Dave is still running a surround processor in his system, i.e. 2.1 channels - but the gear is constantly rotating, so I'll have to rely on my memory for the details (N.B - always a bad idea!)

The FE127E's are powered by EL84 SE amps, actively crossed over @ 100Hz to dual SDX7s per channel, driven by 100w or so SS. For movies, he'll occasionally fire up some sub in the corner, the details of which I don't recall.

Tysen is an active 2-way system with FF85K crossed over around 300Hz via either passive LLXO or buffered LLXO to single SDX7 per side. Amps will generally be the same complement as for the Fonken/Woof rig, but of course the over all lower sensitivity of the smaller system, in combination with the large room does limit the volume levels for the maximum immersion experience.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.